Moral cowardice

Testimony

Junior Members
Reaction score
Is there any other explanation for closing a thread without allowing a response?

grokit23

God mintsmak
Reaction score
Plenty, try reading the post made by the moderators at the end of that thread, then read the terms and conditions of your membership of this forum and you should be able to figure it out.

D

dave arc-i

Testimony said:
Is there any other explanation for closing a thread without allowing a response?
is now the right time to enquire IF english is your first language?

Squagnut

There's a gnu in my squat
Reaction score
There's a difference between moral cowardice and allowing the continuation of a pointless thread that has long departed from its original topic.

Stuoolong

Professionally fluffy
Reaction score
Whew! Glad that othert thread got banned. Friends were getting lost and it was all getting far too 9/11 thread really (although Testimony won't know about that, sorry)

Stuoolong

Professionally fluffy
Reaction score
Purusha said:
"The second problem I have is being loathed to be at odds with Cabbage folk because you are all the people whose respect matters most to me and while my methods may be awry sometimes my intentions are entirely honourable." - Pete North

Well that puppy's been shot then eh?
:dito:
Sorry Pete. At the start of all this I was ready to stand up for, at least, your freedom of speech, but after today I'm not so sure.
You've taught me a valuable lesson - that whilst some messages are completely seperate from their messenger, the deep-rooted, passionate messages are completely entwined with their messenger and are one and the same thing.

AcidTrash

Banned
Reaction score
Fine. You can shut yourself off from opposition if you like. Must keep it fluffy or those who "aren't normally violent" might have to take action if we go near them.

Prohiniting debate is exactly the kind of cowardly response that causes right wing extremism. The more you freeze it out, the louder it will shout. The longer you shreik in horror at all the "isms" flying about the more you ignore what ordinarily moral and decent people are telling you, until the point whe huge numbers stop listening to you because you've failed to engage when the problem was managable.

Hardly any of you made a solid effort to engage the debate without resorting to politically correct finger pointing. I thought you locked it just as it was starting to go somewhere.

There you had a thread with some excellent contributions and some passionate debate, the likes of which you rarely see and that's just too much for you to handle isn't it?

This is exactly the same tactic the new labour spin machine uses and in that respect you are accomplices to the tyranny of the politically correct "moral" elite.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how the folk who complain the loudest about locked threads usually

a) spent the majority of the locked thread doing little but attempting to draw attention to themselves?
b) rarely, if ever post outside their little fiefdom of perceived notoriety?

Just a thought...

J.

Squagnut

Reaction score
AcidTrash said:
Fine. You can shut yourself off from opposition if you like. Must keep it fluffy or those who "aren't normally violent" might have to take action if we go near them.

Prohiniting debate is exactly the kind of cowardly response that causes right wing extremism. The more you freeze it out, the louder it will shout. The longer you shreik in horror at all the "isms" flying about the more you ignore what ordinarily moral and decent people are telling you, until the point whe huge numbers stop listening to you because you've failed to engage when the problem was managable.

Hardly any of you made a solid effort to engage the debate without resorting to politically correct finger pointing. I thought you locked it just as it was starting to go somewhere.

There you had a thread with some excellent contributions and some passionate debate, the likes of which you rarely see and that's just too much for you to handle isn't it?

This is exactly the same tactic the new labour spin machine uses and in that respect you are accomplices to the tyranny of the politically correct "moral" elite.
Finger-pointing? Pot, kettle, black. The thread started out as a discussion on the Danish cartoons and the BBC, which was quickly taken over by a continuation of a debate from the Cabbage forum - I'm not impressed with Purusha for his part in that, but at least he apologised. Last time I took part in the thread it had moved on to Testimony's criticisms of NGOs, and I have no idea what that has to do with cartoons, the BBC, Islam, or anything. Then it rumbled on for a while until a mod kindly locked it. Then Testimony started this thread, which also is pointless and is about the way the forum is run, not politics.

Pete, please look at some of your own posts, and then ask yourself whether you're discussing or soapboxing. Either you're an idiot or you know perfectly well you ain't going to win many votes from here, as many of us don't believe in voting at all, never mind voting for a frankly unelectable party to the right of the Tories (I think voting Green is just as much a waste of time too, but I'm sure you can see that a vote for UKIP is a waste of time. You're not going to get in, after all). Please at least have the decency to listen to what people here have to say, and make an effort to understand that a lot of people here choose not to see Islam in the UK as a problem, even if it does have some undesireable elements. You choose otherwise, that's all. A lot of people here reckon that chavs present a much bigger problem than Islam.

Myself, I do most of my online political debating elsewhere.

Feel free to start threads on the topic of your choice. Criticising the forum for locking threads which have departed from their topic is silly, and to suggest it is cowardice is doubly silly. Do you know how forums work?

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
Squagnut said:
Do you know how forums work?
Furthermore, did you read the terms and conditions you agreed to before joining this private forum?

I think you'll find you don't have any legs to stand on.

Jason Frog

Reaction score
Continuum said:
Furthermore, did you read the terms and conditions you agreed to before joining this private forum?

I think you'll find you don't have any legs to stand on.

The T&C of Psyforum are great.

But the way in which Psyforum is set up does not make it a private forum.

A private forum (or club or whatever else) means the conditions of membership are limited to people that either meet a certain criteria or are invited by existing members.

Psyforum is a public forum as anyone can join without any selection process whatsoever.

Squagnut

Reaction score
Jason Frog said:
The T&C of Psyforum are great.

But the way in which Psyforum is set up does not make it a private forum.

A private forum (or club or whatever else) means the conditions of membership are limited to people that either meet a certain criteria or are invited by existing members.

Psyforum is a public forum as anyone can join without any selection process whatsoever.
Psyforum is a privately-owned forum, which means it's somebody's bat and ball. There is no legal guarantee of the right to free speech on Psyforum. That's the distinction :Smile3:

Personally, I'm glad to see some rightwingers here.

AcidTrash

Banned
Reaction score
Squagnut said:
Finger-pointing? Pot, kettle, black. The thread started out as a discussion on the Danish cartoons and the BBC, which was quickly taken over by a continuation of a debate from the Cabbage forum - I'm not impressed with Purusha for his part in that, but at least he apologised.
I think the whole debate was relavant to the issue. The Cartoon wars is all about the focus on free speech and the Griffin trial is very relavant.

Squagnut said:
Last time I took part in the thread it had moved on to Testimony's criticisms of NGOs, and I have no idea what that has to do with cartoons, the BBC, Islam, or anything. Then it rumbled on for a while until a mod kindly locked it. Then Testimony started this thread, which also is pointless and is about the way the forum is run, not politics.
I have a feeling I know where it was going but I guess we'll never find out now. There was a line of questioning to establish basic precepts for which the debate could continue on. Could have been interesting.

Squagnut said:
Pete, please look at some of your own posts, and then ask yourself whether you're discussing or soapboxing. Either you're an idiot or you know perfectly well you ain't going to win many votes from here, as many of us don't believe in voting at all, never mind voting for a frankly unelectable party to the right of the Tories (I think voting Green is just as much a waste of time too, but I'm sure you can see that a vote for UKIP is a waste of time. You're not going to get in, after all). Please at least have the decency to listen to what people here have to say, and make an effort to understand that a lot of people here choose not to see Islam in the UK as a problem, even if it does have some undesireable elements. You choose
Squagnut said:
Soapboxing? Not at all. Part of being controversial is to draw out the issues quickley rather than asking a seemingly long and tedious fray of elemental questions.

If I were on a vote winning mission I would not have come here at all. I am not seeking people in agreement. I am seeking opposition and where else am I more likely to find it than here.

I find your assertion interesting that people here do not see Islam as a problem. If it were christianity uprising in response to the film Dogma I'm sure many people here would be queing up to slam christianity in all its forms as is consistant with left wing post colonial guilt.

Squagnut said:
A lot of people here reckon that chavs present a much bigger problem than Islam.

Many would argue that our own chav underclass is a result of political correctness in the classroom where the dogma of social inclusion and light handedness has given them licence to do as they will. It is the same mentality that gives Islamism a foothold. I would say the problem of chavs is equal to Islamism and a symptom of the same bad governance. The reason I take my hard line on Islam is that we have no authority that Islamism recognises as superior to that of their rather warped interpretation of true Islam.

I think this is relavant under this topic headin because political correctness is a form of moral cowardice and that is the notion we are exploring here.

Now, If we could have had that kind of focussed and mature response from you and others in the prior debate we might well have got somewhere.

AcidTrash

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of cowardice. I note that whichever moderator sent me a PM has neglected to state who it was from therefore denying any right of reply. I have a perfectly reasonable reply but no idea who to send it to . Can the culprit please own up?

Many thanks.

ozdave

Phased and misused.
Reaction score
Fuck politics, let's dance! Hey Acidtrash get your website working we want some free downloads!!!!!

Squagnut

Reaction score
Pete, I'm sure that if you PM any mod then your message will be passed on in confidence to the appropriate person. Please remember that this is a privately-owned forum and your right to reply is not guaranteed. Also, please bear in mind that you didn't start the thread in question, and that if the thread-starter wishes it to be closed then the mods will respect that wish.

Goz

Psy-Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
AcidTrash said:
Speaking of cowardice. I note that whichever moderator sent me a PM has neglected to state who it was from therefore denying any right of reply. I have a perfectly reasonable reply but no idea who to send it to . Can the culprit please own up?

Many thanks.
Send it to any one of us .. it was a fairly unanimous decision by the lot of us ...