Multiculturalism

Are you in favour of a Multicultural Society?

• Yes, A pint of lager and a chicken vindaloo please

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • No, This is Great Britain , what what?? Don't want any foreign culture here

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Reaction score
What's your stand on this??? Are you in favour of a mulicultural society or against??? Please discuss, politely.

Meijin

Reaction score
What a question to ask on a predominantly british forum? 'The british are a mongrel race' - Churchill...

That's not to say there's not such a thing as a 'liberal paradox' in the 'west' : that in a society based on liberal values it may sometimes be uncomfortable to allow opinions that are so different and/or orthodox - i.e., single sex schools based on religious values.

Is multiculturalism postmodern? Well, yes, in a way thru the rejecting of the universal and the embracing of difference

Dragilex

Dragonlord
Reaction score
I'm for multi-cultured society as long as any imported cultures resepct the native culture and do not try to impose their culture over it. Imported culture should never abuse and insult the native culture, it should cherish the chance of a free multi-cultured society.

Multi-culturism is post-modern is the sense of the breaking down of single voices. But it causes cultures to accept that their view is not the 'correct' view and some find that hard to accept (western culture for one).

The main question here is cultural translation possible? Can cultures understand one another enough to truely co-exist in a multi-cultural society? Or do cultures need to blend and form a new culture comprimise thereby escaping the need for an 'us and them' situation. People will always affirm their own culture by finding the differences in another it's part of the human condition.

Meijin

Reaction score
People are constantly constructing their identity tho' - and most cultures are too...

'Native culture' in X-Speels phrase is a bit of a misnomer in my view - how long does a culture last for? Never very long, and what of the differences between men and women? Andrea Dworkin, who died this week, very much wanted a state for women - a country for women on earth to go to to live away from men (for whatever reason) - interesting idea hey? So, assumptions that cultures are homogeneous is usually to ignore repression....

RedZebra

Reaction score
I think multi-culturalism is positive and mind-opening, in general.
However I guess the problems arise when there is moral conflict between distinct cultures. In Britain one of the main points of disagreement between cultures seems to be the status of women. Hard to resolve. How do you remain open minded to other cultures while actively disagreeing with their beliefs?

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
Agreed - its a melting pot, so let it all melt. I worry that the various cultures that exist in Britain are still suspicious of each other, insular and protective of their identity to a point where the melting just isn't happening.

Dragilex

Dragonlord
Reaction score
The fact that the melting isn't happening points towards the fact their is a lack of cultural understanding and therefore a possibility that culture cannot translate by simply co-existing.

Another factor is the idea of micro and macro cultures. There is Western culture which although states it is post-modern etc still essentially has the same feel of the colonial era - a desire to possess the world in some form. But there is the lower levels of music culture, drug culture, political culture, I see these as more malluable areas.

Can we fully understand another culture if we are not part of it? Can multi-culturism exist if we cannot understand another culture?

RedZebra

Reaction score
XSpeel said:
Can we fully understand another culture if we are not part of it? Can multi-culturism exist if we cannot understand another culture?
Do we have to understand it? Or just accept it?
It's interesting to study and understand another culture, of course, and it can shed light on our own. But can multi-culturalism exist if we insist we have to be able to understand a culture for it to be valid? :hehe:

lala69

51% Sweetheart,49% Bitch
Reaction score
XSpeel said:
I'm for multi-cultured society as long as any imported cultures resepct the native culture and do not try to impose their culture over it. Imported culture should never abuse and insult the native culture, it should cherish the chance of a free multi-cultured society.
That's rich coming from someone who hails from one of the greatest colonial nations in the world. I do feel that you should respect the culture you're coming into. You also have to remember where you came from. A bit of a balancing act. All multi-cultural societies are going to have divisions and people who tend towards the same things. Tolerance is the key. Sometimes easier said than done.

lala69

51% Sweetheart,49% Bitch
Reaction score
Agreed. Also - expecting people to tolerate your culture (whether alien or not) and not returning the favour also doesn't work. In other words - what you said!! Two way street... :Smile3:

onestone

Reaction score
AlternateContinuum said:
Agreed - its a melting pot, so let it all melt. I worry that the various cultures that exist in Britain are still suspicious of each other, insular and protective of their identity to a point where the melting just isn't happening.
I think that the melting is being forced on the indigenous polulation but not on the rest, making it one-way multiculturalism. If an English man said I don't want my daughter marrying an Urbanjani, he would be classed as a racist whereas the Urbanjani father forbidding his daughter marrying an English man would simply be upholding cultural values and traditions. A student can force a state school to change its uniform policy to fit with her religious beliefs but I can't see it happening in a school of the student's religion.

Now, rather than a melting pot, I would rather have a mixing pot. I originally came from such a pot, where every culture followed its own traditions, had its own schools, and churches and where everyone was tolerant and accepted each other's values, traditions and beliefs. I think that made for much more friendly relations between the different groups.

Meijin

Reaction score
No, X-Speel, one shouldn't visit the sins of the father upon the sons, but that doesn't mean that white westerners/first worlders haven't got a lifestyle that is dependent on the previous exploitation of others or that reparations shouldn't be made between states who have historically exploited other states...

...as somebody pointed out very well in the newspaper this morning in a letter, 'WE' as immigrants, that is first worlders who went to the New World and Afica and Asia as colonists and IMMIGRANTS, acted dispicably, killing and wiping out whole peoples and cultures - therefore, any criticising of 'immigrants' within western/british society should be seen within the context of our past historical record of how 'we' acted when we were the immigrants.

lala69

51% Sweetheart,49% Bitch
Reaction score
Meijin said:
No, X-Speel, one shouldn't visit the sins of the father upon the sons, but that doesn't mean that white westerners/first worlders haven't got a lifestyle that is dependent on the previous exploitation of others or that reparations shouldn't be made between states who have historically exploited other states...

...as somebody pointed out very well in the newspaper this morning in a letter, 'WE' as immigrants, that is first worlders who went to the New World and Afica and Asia as colonists and IMMIGRANTS, acted dispicably, killing and wiping out whole peoples and cultures - therefore, any criticising of 'immigrants' within western/british society should be seen within the context of our past historical record of how 'we' acted when we were the immigrants.
Thanks. Said what I would've if my brain was functioning that efficiently... hehe.

I don't hold people responsible for past actions. I just get tired of the whole immigrant this and immigrant that. As an economic immigrant, I work my ass off and pay a whole lot of money towards tax in this country... for benefits that I am not allowed to claim. Ok - so not all immigrants contribute - but all the election issues are just making life harder for those of us here legally. And I guess that's why I reacted the way I did. Sorry.... was making my issues yours.

RedZebra

Reaction score
XSpeel said:
Should I be held responsible for the actions of my great ancestors?
That's the gist of John Howard's excuse for not apologising to the Australian aborigines for the stealing of their land, people, children, etc...
but in a sense it's like "receiving stolen goods" - still a crime. Of course it's a bit more complicated when European settlers have lived there for generations now, but a think Meijin put it pretty well. We (australians) still owe them a lot in terms of reparation.

Besides, I presonally think the only reason Howard refuses to say "sorry" is because he's worried it would set some sort of a legal, er, thing, where he the current government does owe the aborigines something.

Reconstructed

Reaction score
How could someone even defend a standpoint of being "against a multicultural society"? I guess they want to be the one to decide which culture the society should be based off of :rolleyes:

The fact that other cultures are going to be incorporated into your society is certain. You can deal with it the right way by acknowledging that every culture has something to offer and integrating it equally with your own. Unfortunately, most people deal with it the wrong way, which is thinking in terms of 'us' and 'them'.