Music editor

Dubber Dan

Systems Buster
Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple music editor so that I can cut little samples out of MP3/wav/etc. For nothing more than getting some little sounds onto Windows and onto my phone.

Any suggestions folks (open source if possible)?

well, you should install logic audio, sound forge and some plugins for the beginning (i personally would recommend anything by waves and maybe native instruments). i doubt that combo will be enough for what you plan to do but it's a good starting point. once you have mastered those come back here and i'll tell you what to do next.

dogcow - they are all far too serious bits of kit. all I'm wanting to to is cut a few samples out of some sound files no make tunes!!!

rcain - I'll have a looksie

no-one able recommend a simple sound editor or do you all use srious kit for making the next big thing :Wink3:

if you have nero installed on your machine for copying CD's this has a simple .wav editor bundled with it

dogcow said:
well, you should install logic audio, sound forge and some plugins for the beginning (i personally would recommend anything by waves and maybe native instruments). i doubt that combo will be enough for what you plan to do but it's a good starting point. once you have mastered those come back here and i'll tell you what to do next.
mate mate mate you havent even started on the hardware. you're gonna need some serious Mackie HR824s to get an average/descent sound plus a few rackmounts should do the job, just about. if you're talking polyphonic ringtones you're gonna need at least something like this

Hardware.JPG

hhh. amateurs.

ok i'll shut up now

Fromem_Ory said:
mate mate mate you havent even started on the hardware. you're gonna need some serious Mackie HR824s to get an average/descent sound plus a few rackmounts should do the job, just about. if you're talking polyphonic ringtones you're gonna need at least something like this

Hardware.JPG

you are right, of course and that setup does look like a good beginning. i just wanted to get him started on the editing bit. now, monitoring and actually transferring the sounds to the cell is an entirely different matter and requires a whole new set of (hardware) tools.

Dubber Dan - i think you may be underestimating the task you set out to do. cell phone ringtones require some serious tools and, as Fromem_Ory mentioned, polyphonic ones even more so.

Like Dave Arc I said......Nero has a pretty good wave editor.

I also use Cool Edit Pro 2 from Syntrillian for choppin tracks down to sample clips for the website, quite easy for a non-music-type-like-me.

Back