Music / Production Study...

Marc

Scratchadelica
Reaction score
After 'resigning' from my job I'm now considering doing some kind of music course or ideally a degree - involving electronic production etc.

Can anyone recommend any particularly good institutions or courses ? I have a comp sci & elec eng degree just now so would I perhaps be able to top this up with a masters or something ? Ive been looking at a variety of sites from unis/colleges to places like SAE [you dont even want to know how much these guys charge!] but have no idea if any of these are any good :S

Any advice would be fantastic !!

peace,
marc

Hi Marc - good luck with your career change :Smile3:

I don't know your reasons, but have you considered a bit of one-to-one tuition with some of the talent available in this forum? As a Christmas pressie my wife had booked me a day in a local studio & I learnt tons of great stuff!

Just a thought
:drinking:

I'd like to learn how to mic up and record a proper drum kit. :jump:

Warwick Bassmonkey said:
I'd like to learn how to mic up and record a proper drum kit. :jump:

With difficulty.

(Think there's about a million and one variations)

J.

I'd like to learn how to mic up and record a proper drum kit.

I did hear that if the drool is coming out of both sides of the drummer's mouth equally, you got him about level :lol1:

Sorry, luv tubthumpers really :cool:

lol :Grin:

I had a quick look at SAE and for a start they charge 10k for the course im interested in ... i could go to a redbrick uni for less than that quite frankly !!

Has anyone here done any courses as such ? [Ive heard EVP and Nick/Dan error corrective went to rose bruford b ut not sure how that compares to elsewhere etc]

peace,
marc

yea the course at Tonmeister offers courses on a very scientific approach to Music Tech. you need A's in Physics, Maths and Music to get in. not much creative producing involved though.
yea i went to Rose Bruford along with Dan - thats where we first met :wub:
The course covers Sound Recording, Synthesis, Digital Audio Theory, Sequencing, Music Business, Video Production and Music for Picture.
it was five years ago when i first started and it was the only degree course doing Music Tech in London but a degree aint really gonna do much in a subject like Music Tech - a lot of the work in the industry is freelance based so you'll probably be better off doing a course with more industry links.
There are plenty more unis now offering mus tech like Westminster, UNL, TVU(Electric Melon are techhies there) and loads of part-time courses and studios offering private tuition.
But if you wanna make a career out of it the going is tough. a lot of the big studios are shut down now because people like you and me can afford to buy the equipment and make the music for ourselves....in the bedroom - thats where i learnt the most. :wub:

I did a 2 year BTEC Music Production which had some performance elements to it and was quite traditional in it's structure although we did cover synthesis, sampling and learnt the nuts and bolts of studio recording from micing all sorts of things (including a mattress!!!) to mixing and video syncing. I really enjoyed it and got it for FREE on the New Deal thingy about 7 years ago.

nik said:
yea the course at Tonmeister offers courses on a very scientific approach to Music Tech. you need A's in Physics, Maths and Music to get in. not much creative producing involved though.

woah, didn't realise that! BTEC sounds interesting, am thinking about a course myself.

Sax.

the courses at liverpool institue of performing arts are supposed to be very good, and i've heard the studios are ridiculously nice. you may want to have a look there. i'm currently doing music tech at hertfordshire uni, no real complaints :Smile3:

One of the things to check out is the ratio of students to studios. We had 5 studios split between 60 students so studio bookings became quite abig deal. We had 4 with Mackie 32:8 desks and a big old heavy wooden lovely distorty thing (that's in lieu of remembering the name! :Smile3: ) but we struck lucky 8 months in when they bought a Yam O3D which nobody could or wanted to use so we effectively had a wicked studio to share between 5 of us for the second year (and we got properly stuck in, 5 days a week, 11 hours a day). I think it got taken out the following year coz none of the tutors could be arsed to learn it (should've applied for a job).

Back