Naming psytrance sounds

Swen

Forum Member
Reaction score
I feel like there should be some better naming conventions other than "squelchy fart", "long sweepy sound".

Any suggestions?

bez23

Adverse camber
Reaction score
There's the classic "underground roller-coaster full of lemurs with spanners banging saucepans" for a certain style of percussion. "Flock of melting donkeys" during the breakdown? "Biplane deathtrap" filter sweep? "Grated kitten" synth lead? That sort of thing?

Lyuda

Forum Member
Reaction score
There's the classic "underground roller-coaster full of lemurs with spanners banging saucepans" for a certain style of percussion. "Flock of melting donkeys" during the breakdown? "Biplane deathtrap" filter sweep? "Grated kitten" synth lead? That sort of thing?
hahah, whatever happened to golden rays bruv, isratrance classic

Invariant

Relativity Records
Reaction score
https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/gm-level-1-sound-set

Psytrance artists need only concern themselves with patches 39, 82, 96, 99, 102, 110, 120 and 12⅞. Unless feeling really creative; in which case program number 81 could be just what your looking for. On channel 10 of course you will need note no. 36, 40, 42, 46 and 49. Though If you really wanna push the boat out judicious use of note no. 56 may be just the magic bullet that you seek.

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
Reaction score
Golden rays, those were the times!

I have some synesthesia, so I name my sounds sometimes on what they look like in my mind. A low end, highly distorted 303 for instance is an orange or red wood saw, while certain background soundscapes are titled "yellow fog" and "slow steam" and stuff like that. Won't mean a thing to other people.

Invariant

Relativity Records
Reaction score
Golden rays, those were the times!

I have some synesthesia, so I name my sounds sometimes on what they look like in my mind. A low end, highly distorted 303 for instance is an orange or red wood saw, while certain background soundscapes are titled "yellow fog" and "slow steam" and stuff like that. Won't mean a thing to other people.
Can't say I have any wood saw's as such but certainly an overabundance of saw's in general and a fair few hammers and drills in there too.
Some great possibilities for names and sound design inspiration in the toolbox. Here's a bunch...
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/word-lists/tool-tools
I'm claiming first dibs on 'centre punch'.

Last edited: