Near-field studio monitors

Nanook

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Reaction score
Howdy all.

So... I'm currently gathering bits for the studio re-build.
I'm after a set of monitors.

Previously had extended access/use of Adam AX7
.... nice. ..but overall, the more I used them, the less I enjoyed them.
Similar with the Rockit KRK5 ... although, I found them a lot more fatiguing on the ears. Mega bright. TOO bright
Yamaha HS5 or 8s, are a strong option.... (how do they compare to the NS10?)
I had a listen to some Presonus Eris 4.5 recently. Sounded good....but was only in front of them for 20 mins doing some editing. Any cop for long session use?

Mackie CR5? (Although...rear ported?)
Who are Edifier that keep cropping up in searches? ... I thought they were hi-fi?

...anything else current I should be looking at / have missed?

Cheers in advance...

ps - Have a nice JBL sub... so i'm open to <6" drivers...

MarcBSounds

Forum Member
Reaction score
I find my PSI to sometimes be fatiguing while my little JBL LSR6325p monitors are quite easy on the ears. They do lack any substance under around 60hz.

With the treble boost switch active on them they sound very close to my large PSI monitors mid/top

MarcBSounds

Forum Member
Reaction score
If you're NW UK I'm thinking of selling them. They list at around £800 a pair but was discounted end of line. You can have these for £250. Pretty much new condition apart from some rubber feat I stuck on the bottom - they're made from metal so quite heavy.

nab

Forum Member
Reaction score
I liked the sound of the Adam 7s. They had a nice compromise between detail and musicality. I can imagine that they might become fatiguing.

Weirdly I don’t find the rokit5 too bright. There is a 1db hf boost on the back. I did find the Krk vxt8’s really fatiguing in the mid range. Horrible speakers actually.

GoR64

Forum Member
Reaction score
I found the Adam's so fatiguing after a few hours, difficult to describe but I think it was the ribbon tweeter demanded attention, as if it was scratching at my brain. If I were after perfection, I'd go for them as a second set.

KRK seemed too push the bass too much for me, (I think it was the Rokit V8's I tried, many moons ago) while pleasant and smooth they gave a sense that every mix was good, though upon critical listening, not so much.

I'm on Yamaha HS8's right now, mostly because I can rarely use the sub in my small room, and found them a good balance between clarity and price. What I actually wanted was Genelec, but you know, living ain't easy.

My brother loves his Dynaudio, and I liked them a lot, I guess comparable to Neumann? Mackie are also up there on the 'try them for a month' list.

You know the drill with testing monitors probably better than any of us, but it's a toss up between 'Do I want to be excited to write more' (KRK wins) vs 'Do I want my tunes to sound fucking perfect, but feel like a lot of effort to write' (Adam, all day)

I'd still choose Genelec with a small room/not bad budget, but that's what I think my music should sound like, to my tastes, in my space. If I could do everything from scratch I'd err towards more forgiving monitors, and accurate headphones (AKG for me) for when you really want to self-harm.

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
I found the Adam's so fatiguing after a few hours, difficult to describe but I think it was the ribbon tweeter demanded attention, as if it was scratching at my brain. If I were after perfection, I'd go for them as a second set.
I get you. I have F7s and until I realised the ribbon tweeters were very prominent all my mixes sounded a bit dull on other speakers. So yeah.
But I don't find them fatiguing, they're more like nice hifi speakers than monitors really, but now I know them I reckon my mixes sound alright and I am loathe to change them and learn new monitors.

nab

Forum Member
Reaction score
G0R you’re right that the Rokits do make music sound nice. A nice warm tight bass in particular. That might be a draw back for deep mixing and production but it’s a boon for enjoying the musical flow and creativity.

I moved to the Rokits for precisely that reason. I’d far rather enjoy the process and ride the universal flow of life than have a chin scratching producer go “that kick could do with a slight lift at 200khz”.

Invariant

Relativity Records
Reaction score
I've found the AX7 to be ok but I'd say they do have to be run with a sub as the bass rolls off pretty high. I've never got along with the lower end KRK's personally and (cue the haters) as for anything that remotely resembles an NS10... :Angry1:
I've used the Mackie MR's reasonably successfully in the past and found them ok, can't say about the CR's though, never worked with them. Be sure to check out the cheaper Genelic's and JBL offerings, some of them can be alright.

Prophecy99

Forum Member
Reaction score
i got Presonus Eris E8 XT, and i have been nothing but happy with them. I don't have much experience with other noteworthy monitors though.

Ramxa

Reaction score
i got Presonus Eris E8 XT, and i have been nothing but happy with them. I don't have much experience with other noteworthy monitors though.
Hey how do you find the mid's on this monitor ?
The specs and it's price are impressive for this monitor 35Hz-20KHz and I understood the high's are fine and wide stereo image overall.
Also I wonder the difference between this E8XT and R80 from PreSonus I mean why are the R80 more expensive then the E8XT is it just because of the AMP tweeter build cause low's wise 35Hz>40Hz.
Really wonder about the clarity of the mids on those models...

nab

Forum Member
Reaction score
if a producer is completely into sound and mixing then there’s a good argument for choosing certain types of monitors. Fair enough.

But I just keep coming back to the idea that buying speakers that you actually like the sound of is probably the best way to go.

Prophecy99

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey how do you find the mid's on this monitor ?
The specs and it's price are impressive for this monitor 35Hz-20KHz and I understood the high's are fine and wide stereo image overall.
Also I wonder the difference between this E8XT and R80 from PreSonus I mean why are the R80 more expensive then the E8XT is it just because of the AMP tweeter build cause low's wise 35Hz>40Hz.
Really wonder about the clarity of the mids on those models...
Great question, i feel midrange is very deep, and they offer tunning to personal tastes with settings on the back on the monitors for hi freq, mid freq, and low freq cuts as needed. And the R80 is double the price, im sure they are nice but yea at the time i couldn't look in that price range so can't answer much there.
again, i do not have much experience with other monitors to compare, but nothing but happy! i feel they are an underground secret =)

Ramxa

Reaction score
Great question, i feel midrange is very deep, and they offer tunning to personal tastes with settings on the back on the monitors for hi freq, mid freq, and low freq cuts as needed. And the R80 is double the price, im sure they are nice but yea at the time i couldn't look in that price range so can't answer much there.
again, i do not have much experience with other monitors to compare, but nothing but happy! i feel they are an underground secret =)
I have just heard them both at the store yesterday and I must say the E8XT sounding way better more crisp with definitely wider stereo image with deeper low bass , I couldn’t notice the difference on the mid department that much but I was switching back and forward between them for almost an hour and the E8XT hands down the better sounding speaker.
At some point I started to think maybe that’s good that the R80 sounding lame so it’s more flat but after taking additional listening to some more tracks that are you exiting no matter on what system I’ve come to realize that the R80 is just lame and will lead to overduing on the mix department eventually.

Prophecy99

Forum Member
Reaction score
oh wow ! interesting ! thanks for sharing your testing with those ! i wonder if the E8XT hit a sweet spot being more middle of the road price range!