1. The Fat Controller

The Fat Controller Forum Member

Threads:
    Hey Bez I would be more than happy to pick up for you when we are out there. We are off in a few weeks. I take it KTM is Kathmandu? We've arranged to meet up with Tirta. He's sorting us accommodation in Pokhara as we can't get through to Banana Garden Lodge on your recommendation. Thanks again for the heads up.

Max

2. bez23

bez23 Adverse camber

Threads:
    Oh that's totally awesome! So happy you'll be spending time with Tirta Raj Subhedi. He's such a good guy - you scored yourself a slice of the pure white light there.

I'll pm you a pic of the stickers I'm after specifically, and the whereabouts of the shop - it's right off the edge of Durbar square, so you're likely to be heading by that way.

How exciting!

3. The Fat Controller

Threads:
    No probs Bez, I'm happy to help out. Forgot to ask currency in Nepal - is it USD? Reason I ask is I went to Indonesia a few years ago and was told we could use USD to find out it was hard as hell to spend them there so I don't want to make the same mistake again. Getting mixed answers online.

Cheers.

4. bez23

bez23 Adverse camber

Threads:
    Currency in Nepal is Nepalese Rupees, which you can't source outside the country.
    We took mainly traveller's cheques, which were easily changed at the airport on arrival, and in any number of easy to find places in the locations you're likely to be travelling to.

I took a couple of hundred US dollars and about £50 too for emergencies, which I had no problem exchanging. As we ended up staying on for longer than planned (we were there when the Icelandic volcano erupted, and ended up having to stay for an extra couple of weeks in Kathmandu), I used my Visa debit card to take money from cash machines around Thamel in Kathmandu, which surprisingly wasn't a problem.

Probably won't hurt to consider a mix of options imo. Traveller's cheques are cool as there's some degree of insurance in the event of losing/getting them nicked.

Maybe Twirly has some useful info, having been so recently?

5. twirly

twirly boring

Threads:
    Ohh we recently went to Indonesia too and the currency was crazy! Millions of rupiahs is not much, haha!

Yep in Nepal its NPR (Nepali Rupees) - but you need $25 USD cash for the visa on arrival too (for 14 days - more expensive for longer). If you're arriving at KTM airport you will find a money exchange just before the visa counters on the left, or there is another nearer to the exit before the taxi rank. We took both USD and GBP but honestly it was really easy to exchange any currency in Chitwan, Pokhara and Kathmandu, there were so many exchanges with a list of all the major currencies. If you need extra cash there is a little place with a bunch of ATMs with a security guard at Thamel Chowk in Kathmandu.

6. The Fat Controller

Threads:
    Great thanks for the info. Really appreciated. Hope to get some good pics whilst out there.

7. The Fat Controller

Threads:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  8. twirly

twirly boring

Threads:
    Wow, absolutely stunning pics! The mountain views are totally epic.
    Mine are rather embarrassing in comparison!

I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :Smile3: Where are you hoping to travel next? We are thinking of South America, or returning to either Nepal or Thailand, but it depends on what happens in 'real life' and being able to save up. We will see!

9. bez23

bez23 Adverse camber

Threads:
    Holy flip! Spectacular photos!
    Looks like I missed my chance to get those stickers again :bg:
    Perhaps I'll have to go get them myself. Quite fancy the Mustang trek. How did you get on with Tirta?

10. janinho

janinho psypizza and tomatos

Threads:
    Outstanding pictures..Poon Hill galore!!

Apparently now that the main road has been built up to Manang, loads of people have started to divert to Manaslu + Tsum valley trek, which anyway offers the possibility to join the Annapurna trek at a later stage, if you have the time, money and energy, that is.
    Next time I'm going to Nepal I will definitely be doing the Dolpo trek now that is open. The only issue is that the cost of the permits is related to the time spent in the area (like most of the other treks in Nepal anyway), so not the best for someone who wants to get lost in high places..but after having read the Snow Leopard and coming across the images of Lake Phoksundo it would be rude not to!

It's hard to find the right words to describe Nepal beauty..those mountains trigger feelings hid deep inside that go beyond words

11. The Fat Controller

Threads:
    Cheers guys. Prob a few too many of the mountains!ha. We are wanting to do South America next but the flights are really expensive with the football etc. Part of the reason for return visits to Asia is the flight prices and the money goes so far. Hoping the flight prices to SA will drop next year after the footballs out of the way. I've heard great things about Chile and Peru.

Bez, I totally forgot to PM you regarding the stickers! Apologies. We had a little miss communication issue with Tirta sadly. We had been emailing for a while and then at the last minute he didn't show up. We landed in Pokhara expecting to meet him and he wasn't there so we had to arrange another trek last minute. He called us when we were trekking - he had problems with the internet. Real shame but we're planning another visit so will maybe get to meet in the future! Thanks again for the advice and stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice