Nestle : wake up and smell the coffee

Fluffyfairy

The Fluff organisation
Reaction score
Nestle, is a food and drink corporation Who supplies a huge chuck of the products sold to UK consumers\' every day. It\'s quite staggering to see the range of brands they own; Rowntrees(makers of Kit Kat, Polo, Aero, After Eight Mints and so on), Lyon’s Maid Ice Cream, Crosse & Blackwell, Sarsons, Spillers, L\'Oreal, Laboratoires Garnier and Lean Cuisine to name but a few. Their annual turnover amounts to tens of billions of dollars and their business extends across continental boundaries. :icry:

Nestle Power
To help with the plunder they have amassed a huge amount of political
and social influence - for example in 1999 Nestle USA spent over $1.5 million on political lobbying. Nestle are also part of the European Round
Table, the business forum derided my many including the environmentalist
George Monbiot; \"The European Round Table is no ordinary lobby group.
It has little need to call on governments, for governments call on the round table.\" Further political clout emerged when Nestlé paid for a stall at the Labour Party Conference in October 1998 and became annoyed at a UNICEF stall carrying anti-Nestle information. It wasn\'t long before UNICEF\'s posters were removed. It’s also worth mentioning that the Nestle UK Chief Executive is president of the Food and Drink Federation with access to government ministers. It\'s a pity the opposing view does not have the same access to such resources.

Childhood Hypocrisy
Nestle spend vast sums on covert advertising to children, such as through the \'Kid’s Club Network\' where money given to schools is exchanged for direct marketing to impressionable young minds. A sample task from the Nestle worksheet; \"Carry out a survey of 30 mint consumers to find out what four variants of Polo they find appealing.\" However, there is no Kid’s Club for the child slaves that pick the coca beans used by Nestle. The company does not use fair-trade coca or coffee beans and buys much of its cocoa beans from supplies produced on the Ivory Coast, where it is claimed 90% of plantations use slaves. When this allegation came to light recently, Nestle responded by co-producing a study that showed there was no evidence to support that figure. Not everyone agreed with their conclusion though, and the Daily Express noted \"the study was done without anyone setting foot in Ivory Coast, let alone going looking in coca farms.\"

Genetic Modification
As if that\'s not enough, Nestle foods use Genetically Modified ingredients in their products. This outraged Greenpeace Hong Kong activists so much they continue to plan demonstrations to highlight the issue. Recently two of the activists were arrested for such actions. Nestle Italy was also forced to withdraw \'Alsoy\' infant formula after it was found to contain Genetically Modified Organisms despite Nestle\'s promise not to use GMOs in it. In addition the journalist John Vidal comments on Nestle\'s GMO plans,
\"There\'s still some way to go before you can drink genetically engineered coffee but Nestle, the University of Hawaii (working with Monsanto) and the Hawaii Biotechnology Group Inc have patents on coffee gene sequences that may allow the bush to grow caffeine-free.\"

Baby Deaths
And how could we forget baby milk? This issue has been around for many years and shows no sign of abating. Much has already been written on this issue, so to cut a long story short, Nestle have been selling baby milk substitutes in the developing world. Baby milk substitutes can have a deadly effect in countries where the water supply is not purified. Consequently, bottle-feeding can trigger fatal diseases that breastfeeding does not. UNICEF\'s publication ‘State of the World\'s Children 2001’ states, \"Improved breastfeeding practices and reduction of artificial feeding could save an estimated 1.5 million children a year.\" Baby Milk Action, the Cambridge based pressure group for such issues remark, \"Breastfeeding is the best start in life for a child. The Word Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that one and a half million infants die each year because they are not breastfed. However, despite the proven benefits of breastfeeding, women throughout the world are under pressure to use artificial milks as a result of the unethical marketing practices of the baby food industry.\" Nestle stands accused of violating agreements on the marketing of baby milk, so causing the unnecessary deaths of many babies simply for profit. Of course Nestle denies it is breaking any agreements, and has a massive ongoing PR blitz to counter claim against it, of which @Bristol seems to be part. So Nestle lie about such things? Yes. For example an employee of Nestle Pakistan, Syed Aamar Raza, smashed pretensions of adherence to any marketing codes after seeing babies that had died in hospital as a result of Nestle policy. His allegations were damming, \"It is said that Nestle does not give gifts to doctors, but we did this. It is said we did not make direct contact with mothers, but we held baby shows in clinics, and we used Cerelac samples as a way of striking up conversations to push the milk. The Charter says Nestle does not pay staff by incentives, but my salary revisions signed by Nestle\'s Marketing Manager included incentives. Infant formula received the most points in the scheme.\"

PR Coverup
On it goes as more and more evidence emerges of the Nestle’s activties. Their sponsorship of @Bristol seems to part of the PR-war, after being advised by PR firm Saatchi and Saatchi(the people responsible for the Tories \'demon eyes\' campaign in the 1997 general election) to go on the offensive; not by stopping their bad practice, but by spending money on \'good causes\' to deflect criticism. In such a manner the boss of @Bristol, John Durant, told activists in March this year that Nestle has cleaned up it\'s act. Three months later the Independent newspaper carried a story on a report published that showed that multinational baby food companies; including Nestle; were continuing to break an international code on marketing powdered milk to mothers. Squeaky clean!

shit FLUFFYFAIRY, its shocking to think how much power these fuckers like nestle et al actually have, i must confess to consuming the odd nestle brand product and will now try even harder to not only enlighten my friends on your findings but to avoid them at all costs..i have totally stopped the occasional poping into mc donalds 4 a coffee, and now refuse to enter the place....i think this, aswell as serious protests is probally the only way to stop them taking over completely...
although, the corporations seem closer than ever, to totally taking over the world..
what more can we do??:peace: me out ...

Ah, the 'rebel without a cause' has truly found one. How marvellous. I myself try not to buy nestle, but not too hard, apathetic really. I think most people on this forum are probably aware that Nestle=Bad, but it's never a bad thing to re-iterate these things. Keep up the good work.

Xenomage said:
I myself try not to buy nestle....

on that note i wonder if vegitenarian sausage lovers know that Tivali is owned by Nestle and Linda McCartney foods is soon to be owned by Nestle

Those f*ckers own a peice of everything

:happy: It is a sad time when we all ahve to realise that our world is being over taken by bastards , wimps and liars !!!!
We all need to join together and rebel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :irofl:

makdaddy said:
on that note i wonder if vegitenarian sausage lovers know that Tivali is owned by Nestle and Linda McCartney foods is soon to be owned by Nestle

Those f*ckers own a peice of everything

shit, and i used to like the odd "linda" sausage or pie, never heard of tivali, but thats off the menu too now, will be skinny as a rake if this take over carrys on, good job i get my veg from the organic farmers or id be eating fuk all...its the only way though gotta stop sponsoring these bastards b4 they have us eating each-other..:ibiggrin: :ibiggrin: :ibiggrin: :ibiggrin: :peace:

Everything you think is a small independent buisness is being bought out by big un caring and extremly unhelpful companys that need to realise that honesty fairness and some good nature sells to people !!!!! There are to many people who dont care that will carry on buying the products that are what seem to be yummy but actully all there buying accounts to is death !!!!!:ibiggrin:

For like clothes and things i just stick to chairity shops cause then there are other cheeky barstards like nike with there sweatshops !!! A medical factory near me just closed down and loads of people lost jobs because they are moving it to mexico because of cheaper labour it makes me sick !!!!!!!!! x x
Peace and love
FluFfY FaIrY xx

Why don't you start your own food company based on your ethics, and refuse to sell to Nestle when they come shopping? Yeah, people don't care what atrocities any company has committed when choosing what food to buy... fact of life. Human beings for the most part, don't give a sh*t about each other. In the large scale of things. Oh well.

kunningtoerag said:
shit, and i used to like the odd "linda" sausage or pie, never heard of tivali, but thats off the menu too now, will be skinny as a rake if this take over carrys on, good job i get my veg from the organic farmers or id be eating fuk all...its the only way though gotta stop sponsoring these bastards b4 they have us eating each-other..:ibiggrin: :ibiggrin: :ibiggrin: :ibiggrin: :peace:

Could try learning to cook for yourself :irazz:

Fluffyfairy said:
A medical factory near me just closed down and loads of people lost jobs because they are moving it to mexico because of cheaper labour it makes me sick !!!!!!!!! x x
Peace and love
FluFfY FaIrY xx

And people in Mexico deserve a job less than people in England because...

tortoise said:
Could try learning to cook for yourself :irazz:

I DO ACTUALLY!!! fresh organic veg from a local farm, for free, as i am a drop off point where others come to pick up there veg and fruit..:irazz: :irazz:
i do cook from skratch quite a bit as well, eat the odd takeaway (naughty naughty), fish n chips on the odd nte? make stews and chillis, pasta dishes, smoothies with fruit from my farm friends,baked fruit is fabulous, BUT, yes i am not perfect, far, far from it..we have become so reliant on others to deliver and make our food, bread, cheese, milk, eggs, meat, pasta, rice,etc etc etc etc that going back to basics is not going to be easy for any of us...its actually going to get really, really hard. but i think life is supposed to be hard, i think its going to get alot harder to, in maybe 6 years we could be in a lot of trouble...

:peace:

making more food yourself is a great way of stripping back the increasingly-difficult-to-follow ethical supply chain.

there are lots of competing concerns facing the ethical shopper - first of which is generally money. many people in the UK simply can't afford to buy their produce on something as lofty as principle - it's about feeding hungry kids with minimum expenditure. this is the key engine which drives the success of 'stack em hi, price em low' hypermarkets, from tescos to makros. if given a chance i'm sure most people would prefer to buy organic british free-range chickens because they taste so great, but £7 per chicken is simply ludicrous for people who buy 3.5 kg sacks of frozen chicken portions for £2.

the second consideration is distance. i love fresh, seasonal produce; i like eating whatever nature provides for me at this time of year, and if it means no strawberries for 10 months a year that's fine with me. i don't see why we should have puerto rican carrots and south african granny smiths when england grows both beautifully. the amount of food that is flown round the world has little to do with need & everything to do with price; it's especially galling when you consider the huge effect farm subsidies have on developing countries - it's a double blow, when we cut off their exports by paying our farmers huge sums to grow vegetables, then dump the surplus onto developing markets at next-to-nothing, effectively screwing them twice. but then again i buy a lot of lemongrass, galangal, white fungus, etc. etc. which grow in countries thousands of miles away; so even if i only eat fresh local vegetables and shun israeli mangos, i'm still contributing. the key i think is to start producing more stuff in britain, and start convincing people that it's better all round to buy a norfolk cabbage than a swiss chard :Wink3:

Xenomage said:
Why don't you start your own food company based on your ethics, and refuse to sell to Nestle when they come shopping? Yeah, people don't care what atrocities any company has committed when choosing what food to buy... fact of life. Human beings for the most part, don't give a sh*t about each other. In the large scale of things. Oh well.

doesnt stop us from giving a shite though does it mate, and thats all we can do. educate where we can, help where we can and do what we can

just do your bit, and sharing knowledge about companies like nestle is a valid part of that

Xenomage said:
And people in Mexico deserve a job less than people in England because...

They do deserve jobs as much as any one but also to be treated fairly as they will get paid much less than workers in England and worked alot harder and what about all the people in England with no jobs !!!!!!!
You always have something unhelpful to post Xenomage why dont you just offer helpful advice were only trying to make people aware !!!!!!!!!!:ino:

Ooooho ho ho. Sorry to rain on your parade, fluffy fairy :wub: . Anyway, asking about people in Mehico deserving jobs isn't unhelpful, I just don't belive in this country people should whinge about losing their job (or have people whinge for them:iconfused ) - there's plenty of work out there, and a hell of a lot more opportunity to find work, or increase your ability to find work by subscribing to some form of course to better your knowledge and ability at some things - learn car mechanics for example. I'd say it were far fairer for the most number of people, to send most of our work over to countries that need it, and get the lazy sods in this country - who have NO IDEA what actual hardship can be like (myself obviously not included, I'm neither lazy nor unaware of hardship - I'm great me) - to have to go out and better themselves, it's not like they don't have the chance. Try asking a Mehican farmer to sign on to Compu-Teach. He just needs to find public access to the internet, erm, spare hours during the day to learn, and then a rich market of employers needing an IT consultant... Good luck to him (teehee)

But, something helpful - like maybe starting your own food company to counter the ethical manslaughter that large multi-national companies commit maybe.

Seriously though, Nestle are bad, mmkay. But maybe you're making the wrong people aware here. Maybe I'm wrong (not a common admission:icool: ) but I'd think probably most people on this forum are aware that Nestle and Coca cola are bad companies, but why don't you spread the message where it's needed. Write to your MP (lol). Or try a drum 'n' bass forum. Teeheee

Anyhoo, maybe I'm just bitter at the feeling of helplessness when confronting such a massive opponent as Nestle - there's nothing *I* can do, so I'm just gonna bitch to anyone who thinks that *they* can.:irofl:

Keep up the good work Fluffy Fairy:wub:

(Layeth the smackdown, verily)

Back