New Improved Version

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
I finally got some half decent monitors, so hopefully my mixing skills have improved slightly. I posted a dodgy mix of this, which is my first nearly finished track, a while ago, but I ve changed the bass and kick, changed the even sillier name and finally discovered what compression sounds like. I would really appreciate any comments, positive or negative! Thanks in advance!
clicketyclick

I didn’t catch this the first time around but I’m liking what I’m hearing. Monitors make a difference don’t they.

Really nice breathy reverbs in this. I like the kick and the bass is nice but could have a little but more girth but just a tad. Maybe take a smidge out of the mid's in it to push the lows a little bit more forward but not too much. I like the overall feel and atmosphere of the tune but there is a break quite early on that losses some of the atmosphere you have built up and could do with ether having a touch more of that reverb on it or coming right up close to you for a definite contrast from the rest of the tune. That’s my 2 cents.
P.S here is a really usefull thread on compression that I found very usefull.
http://www.psy-forum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28431&highlight=compress+bass

Thanks for the comments psyfi! Yea it's great to finally get a decent pair of monitors. When I listened to the first mix I did it was a bit embarasing! I know what you mean about the first break. I was trying to get a contrast there, so maybe I'll try and make it a bit closer (do you mean by reducing the reverb?), and I also want to shorten the little section after it I think. I still think there is loads I could do to improve it, on both production and arangement. I especially need to work on getting the bass and kick in the right place, it's all part of the learning process! I'm just going to have a listen to your track now, but I can't promise I'll have any good advice! Thanks again (and also thanks to all the people who have left wonderful advice on this forum, that I have tried to follow!)

Hello jibber. Yeah bring it up closer by useing less reverb or maybe a difarent reverb like a small room reverb. These are just options of course. There are many things you could try. Difarent synths playing during this section or chucking a modulation effect over the whole bunch in that section. Just something to make it stand out in the mind more. Hope you like my tune BTW.

Back