New psy track

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first attempt at making a more night time psy track. I'd greatly appreciate any tips for improving it or any criticism. I'm still a bit of a newbie at this so thanks for any help!

It's the track called the 25th extraction click here please :ismile: :ismile:

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
Howdy,

Some cool ideas in here and a good sense of pace. The synth work is nice and spooky. And there's some nice manipulation going on. I really like the crunchy hit that comes in at the beginning of the bars in the earlier half of the track.

The kick is a little weak. Some distortion / compression could really fatten it up. The Bass is nice. Very clean!

The percussion could do with being a bit more creative and varied and the whole track could use a little more energy overall. However, having said all that, there are a lot of great sounds here and it could really turn into a tasty dancefloor track.

Good work!

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Reaction score
Cool. You have difinatly managed to create a darker edgier tune this time. Some great synth sounds there but they lack a bit of movement. Have you tried automating filter movements, even setting an lfo with a slow sine on a filter would give those rise and fall sweeps. What sequencer and other stuff are you useing?

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
Thanks for listening! I was a bit worried about the kick- I put loads of compression on the kick so maybe too much might be the problem, rather than too little? What do you think, or maybe a touch of distortion might be just right for it? I've yet to properly play about with automation yet, and it's something I need to get into- this is still a work in progress, so I'll definetly get into it for this track. It should make those squelches a bit more interesting. I'm using Logic Express 7, and the synths are the es1, eFM which come bundled with Logic, and also the free Zoyd which I used for the squelches. I'm limited to freeware at the moment unfortunatly! Thanks again for listening! I'll try and post an improved version next week or so.

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
jibberer said:
Thanks for listening! I was a bit worried about the kick- I put loads of compression on the kick so maybe too much might be the problem, rather than too little? What do you think, or maybe a touch of distortion might be just right for it?

I think it could do with a boost in the high frequencies, to get more of high end snap. My favourite kicks have a bit of 'snap!' to them. :iyes:

I don't think you need to lay on the compression too much.

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Reaction score
I am on a mac too, useing cubase Se that came free with my controler. Nearly bought logic express but demo ended before i sussed out weather it could do what I wanted. If you havnt found this place allready its a great reasorce for tech problems and every bit of freewhare available in the software section http://www.macmusic.org/home/?lang=EN

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
Cheers jackrabbit! I've checked out macmusic a few times, it's a great resource. I do have a few minor irritations about Logic Express, and would love to upgrade to pro. What's Cubase like on the mac? I heard it was a bit unstable, no idea if it's true or not though...

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Reaction score
Cubase is stable until I use too many plugins, normaly when I am near finishing just the arangement it crashes 'cos ive tried adjusting a feeback control or something. 4-5 VSTi's at once depending on what I am useing. Most stuff I buy my priority is low cpu load and cheep. I am experimenting with different ways of working and just finishing off a track with 20 audio channels which is something I have never managed to do before. Cubase states for comfortable use a dual 1.8ghz is recomended, I am on a 1ghz G4 i-mac with a partitioned drive that helps a bit.
Nearly switched to logic over christmas but I think it will be just a strain on my CPU as they do recomend a fast prosessor. What I will switch to is a much underated+ understated app called metro http://www.sagantech.biz/ . Just need some cash as I will need full version.

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
I've made a few improvements to it now. Definetly still a few probs with the bass and kick, but hopefully it&s a bit better than before. Any help on how to improve things would be greatly appreciated again! It's the same name the 25th Extract....

Caaaachingclickety :ismile: