New Toon, any advice welcome!

silky

meh...
Hi folks

this is a song ive been working on a while, i put a post of it on ages ago but a lot has changed since then due to some of the feedback i received at the time. I have taken this on board and (hopefully) made it better!

Silkworm - Illusions

This is just a test version, it hasnt been professionally mastered or anything like that so Im not quite sure how its gonna sound on anyone elses system, especially since i dont even have any monitors to speak off. If you think it needs a cut here or boost there let me know.

thanks!
 

icodon

Junior Members
Great ambience....you tell us a nice and an involving story. Well done.
 

silky

meh...
miszt: cheers man, your tenners in the post..:Smile3:

icodon: im glad you thought that as i do try to make the whole track have a progressive feel to it but still keeping it psy. thanks for listening!
 

evilwill

definitely
good tune, like it :green: got quite an old skool trancey vibe to it, with the synth and percussion noises used

thought the bass was very subby... i'm listening on my monitors and i can hear the bass, but only just! it'd probably sound phat on a rig but most people's systems aren't going to reproduce the bass that well. most trance basslines are probably an octave higher than the this tune...

some of the percussion work in the drops and buildups was really nice too
 

silky

meh...
evilwill said:
thought the bass was very subby... i'm listening on my monitors and i can hear the bass, but only just! it'd probably sound phat on a rig but most people's systems aren't going to reproduce the bass that well. most trance basslines are probably an octave higher than the this tune...

Yeah i was wondering about the bass, as im not listening on monitors its difficult to get it right. the levels are fine on my system at home and there is quite a lot midrange to the bass. i intentionally kept it low as I find that too much psy uses the old roll-of-everything-under-50hz trick, which helps with bringing the rest of the track up but i like it deep as well.

what ill do is make short sample with an adjustment to the lower levels and upload it. your probly the best person to listen if your doing it thru monitors

Thanks for the feedback!

stay tuned
 

silky

meh...
timewave0 said:
good stuff silky! :iyes:

you got some nice atmospherics going on there, and the lead lines are working nicely... the breakdown section is very cool!...

i agree with evilwill about the bass - it isn't cutting through on my monitors.. i think you could definately get away with pitching it up an octave....

nice tune!

G

Thanks for listening mate! glad you like the leads, ive spent a long time trying to create an atmosphere for the track, i try and imagine being in a very dark club out of my head and just go from there, lol

think im seeing a pattern here, better sort that bass out!

thanks man
 

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
hehe... thought I'd have a listen :Smile3:

Nice intro! Love the chord progressions... and the percussiveness of the melody.
It seems like your leads though, are very highpassed - the track feels like it's lacking abit in low-mids to me and sounds, abit too hollow therefore... abit more deep warmth could go down a treat :P!
I like your kick and bass... very very percussive bassline - it feels like it doesn't have much actual tone because of how deep it is - but it stays powerful (try pitching it up another octave though and seeing how it sounds - it could do with some more tonal 'definition')

Generally a very minimal, trippy (almost Scandinavian 'old-school' - old Necton like :Wink3: ) style - made even more minimal sounding IMO by the low-mid lack... but i like it - particularly the pad progression at 6:28!! (lovely chord!)
I'd personally prefer a tad more structural control, really tightening up the progressiveness of the track, and giving it more depth in some parts and less in other - tension and release etc :Smile3:
e.q. sounds alright apart from the low mids issue... where are you highpassing?

Very nice though, atmospheric, and abit of a trippy stomper! :Grin: good luck!!
 

silky

meh...
BeatNik said:
hehe... thought I'd have a listen :Smile3:

Nice intro! Love the chord progressions... and the percussiveness of the melody.
It seems like your leads though, are very highpassed - the track feels like it's lacking abit in low-mids to me and sounds, abit too hollow therefore... abit more deep warmth could go down a treat :P!

ahh ok, i know what you mean, i do tend to concentrate on the the highs and lows in my music. your probably right, need to fatten it up a bit.

I like your kick and bass... very very percussive bassline - it feels like it doesn't have much actual tone because of how deep it is - but it stays powerful (try pitching it up another octave though and seeing how it sounds - it could do with some more tonal 'definition')

ok no probs man, i think everyones agreed its too heavy on the bottom end, doesnt help me listening to it with a dedicated sub here, must turn it off!

Generally a very minimal, trippy (almost Scandinavian 'old-school' - old Necton like :Wink3: ) style - made even more minimal sounding IMO by the low-mid lack... but i like it - particularly the pad progression at 6:28!! (lovely chord!)
I'd personally prefer a tad more structural control, really tightening up the progressiveness of the track, and giving it more depth in some parts and less in other - tension and release etc :Smile3:
e.q. sounds alright apart from the low mids issue... where are you highpassing?

I have a parametric EQ on the FX channel that more or less has a gradual roll off starting at 500hz down to 0. im gonna lower that and see if i can give it more freq range. the main reason i had it like that was due to volume spikes when sweeping the cut off as the resonance is quite high, but if i get the compressor right i shouldnt have to worry about it. me being lazy i think

thanks for the advice though man, helps a lot. im gonna get to work over the weekend and try and sort something out.

glad you like the tune, thanks!
 

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
silky said:
I have a parametric EQ on the FX channel that more or less has a gradual roll off starting at 500hz down to 0. im gonna lower that and see if i can give it more freq range. the main reason i had it like that was due to volume spikes when sweeping the cut off as the resonance is quite high, but if i get the compressor right i shouldnt have to worry about it. me being lazy i think

Aaah... that may well be the reason :Smile3:

Try instead using a highpass filter with a sharper q value (if you have Waves - use REQ with the Q on 1 - it works best, with other values it is possible for it not to work like a true highpass) and then have a much lower cutoff point... (but one which doesn't interfere with the bass)
If you're gradually sloping off the frequencies from 500 Hz, you're losing the low punchy and warm sections of the sound at the 200 - 500 region...

A compressor should be able to sort out the resonance peaks for you...

But yeah, very nice stuff for someone who's not producing on monitors!
(GET SOME I TELL THEE!)

:Wink3:
Nik
 

Geoff3

Direct DJ
Wicked Stuff.... like the little trippy melody in the centre, sounds more chilled than the energy in the rest of ther track, but still fits really well?!?!?

Agree with what evil will said, bassline a bit low for what I was listening on.... could have a bit more mid range drive but the tops and perc are sparkling!
 

silky

meh...
BeatNik said:
Aaah... that may well be the reason :Smile3:

Try instead using a highpass filter with a sharper q value (if you have Waves - use REQ with the Q on 1 - it works best, with other values it is possible for it not to work like a true highpass) and then have a much lower cutoff point... (but one which doesn't interfere with the bass)
If you're gradually sloping off the frequencies from 500 Hz, you're losing the low punchy and warm sections of the sound at the 200 - 500 region...
:Wink3:
Nik

yeah i have got waves actually. ive not really used any of the plugsins yet, i think theres a bit of a problem with the installation. its being displayed in fruityloops but wont actually find the waves.dll.im gonna reinstall it all and give it another go. tried fattening up the actual synth itself but not having much luck with EQing it as the frequecies just aint there to begin with....grrrr. might have to layer it or put a 3rd oscillator on.

thanks man!
 

silky

meh...
Geoff3 said:
Wicked Stuff.... like the little trippy melody in the centre, sounds more chilled than the energy in the rest of ther track, but still fits really well?!?!?

Agree with what evil will said, bassline a bit low for what I was listening on.... could have a bit more mid range drive but the tops and perc are sparkling!

Nice one, thanks for listening mate! glad you think hi end sounds good. no ones mentioned it so far which i kinda thought was a good thing. i spent a long time EQing the snare and open hats so they didnt clash too much.

im on the case already with the low and mid range. problem is im working all the time lately and dont have enough time for toonage.

cheers!
 
Top