next step in dub - one for you mr nagual sound

Red five

jah mangled spanner
Reaction score
hokay,

i'm using reason within cubase as basically...well...a drum machine, writing my own riddims *ahem* using redrum and variations on the various dub kits, NN-XT for individual drums that i run through RV7000 echo unit normally with a spring effect to get that "plinkkkkkkkkk" sorta noise a-la scientist, king tubby etc,,,

for bass i'm using hydra/scorpion, normally using fretlees open bass for that "WOOOOORP" style bass...

1st question: how can i make sub bass sound quite prominent in the track? or even halfway good?

2nd question: noises. what the best thing to do? use random synthy bits? or do as i am at the moment and filter/effects the bollocks out of various bits of percussion?

3rd question: is 5 minutes or so long enough?

now what i'm aiming for is midway between digi-dub, psy-dub and propah dub.

oh and where is a good source for vocal and other samples? all the other movie sites are a bit shite in terms of sound quality, now i know a bit of crap sound in dub is the done thing, but i want to make it sound crap...if you get my drift...

Red five said:
hokay,

i'm using reason within cubase as basically...well...a drum machine, writing my own riddims *ahem* using redrum and variations on the various dub kits, NN-XT for individual drums that i run through RV7000 echo unit normally with a spring effect to get that "plinkkkkkkkkk" sorta noise a-la scientist, king tubby etc,,,

for bass i'm using hydra/scorpion, normally using fretlees open bass for that "WOOOOORP" style bass...

1st question: how can i make sub bass sound quite prominent in the track? or even halfway good?

2nd question: noises. what the best thing to do? use random synthy bits? or do as i am at the moment and filter/effects the bollocks out of various bits of percussion?

3rd question: is 5 minutes or so long enough?

now what i'm aiming for is midway between digi-dub, psy-dub and propah dub.

oh and where is a good source for vocal and other samples? all the other movie sites are a bit shite in terms of sound quality, now i know a bit of crap sound in dub is the done thing, but i want to make it sound crap...if you get my drift...

easy Red!....

1: this is the ting wiv sub sonic dub bass...its quite an arse to get it to sound strong.....depending on how low your monitors go and if you use a sub is an important variable for pre mastered dub...that said the KEY of your tune is probably the first thing to give attention to and then EQing the harmonic series of your root key. Remember each note has its own series of partitials or harmonic frequencies .My general bass proceesing chain goes something like this:

i use either a heavily filtered sawtooth or a pure sine
*subtractive eq of harmonics-less to do here if your using a pure sine.

*compression- a slower attack will give more punch as it lets the transient through and transients are key to getting punchy bass.

*sub-harmonic excting-This is probably the part of the chain that really gives me that weight and pressence...ill use Waves R-BASS usually but any exciter will do...i just simply tune the RBass frequency to the lowest fundemantal above 30hz...

*limiting- glues the whole thing together and adds even more weight to it.
limiting will also help to keep a solid bottom when changing notes.

initial mix headroom should not be underestimated too...if the mix is sounding bass light then you can try turning down everything except the bass and the turning up the master fader.

2. Noises.....depends on the choon...if you want propah dub then square/sawtooth sirens can be made easily using LFO's to modulate OSC pitch.
Obvioulsy tape delay and reverb are essential and yeah, affecting/filtering the percussion/ guitar/ organ/ vocal is dub allz the way....try using phasers and filters on delays and reverb...Scientist does this loads.
check out dubplugs free dub plugins....super cool retro dub software and its free!!

3. yeah thats long enough unless its telling you it wants to be an epic. These days im all about short dubs...3-4 mins is good enough for me for roots dub.

4. for samples i use my own DVD collection, 12 inch LP's, interviews...for Ras vocals though, its all about finding a Dread MC and giving him lotsa skunk.

Hope that helps mate and is not too longwinded...

cheers man.

i think my main problem atm is learning the technical aspects of it all...but considering i couldn't put a drum loop down 6 months ago... i reckon i'm getting along...

but i shall get crackin' when i get back to my yard.

cameron-NSE/Mood Deluxe said:
check out dubplugs free dub plugins....super cool retro dub software and its free!!

Where is it?!

dubplugs ? err..cam - do you mean dumplings ?? :lol:

dubplugs.jpg

*ahem*

multichainyourcompressorsandlimiterspossiblyusingthemforalittledistortionandsaturationbutnottootoomuchoryoullloosethesubandthereisnopointinthatIswearbyfm7butdonttellcamwhoinfairnessDOESknowmuchmorethenmeabouthissortofthingsoyoushouldprobablylistentohimbutanywayhereisamultesampleifyouwantitsat24bit48000khzhopeithelpsatleasthavealookatthewaveformsifyoulikeitreckonyoushouldbeabletochopitupforyourself

[/databurst]

rightclicksaveasnicesubbassneedschopping

ping noise is spring reverb, or smetimes the sme thing can be achieved using delay very short delay times 16th or 32nd. Apply to snare drum.

sometimes its actually a recording of a spring coil bieng plucked....

nah i mean the sort of sonar/test tone beep/bong noise often found at the start of dub tunes.

i tried using a dub siren ith a short delay, but nowt.

Paul the testing sound is a freq sweep.
pitch bend a sine wave slowly-ish (over the course of one beat?) from very low to very high. Generally play around with that. Possibly not a sine actually. shit I don't know but I'm there with you on that sound. right now I'm thinking of the bill laswell buffalo soldier dub and its all over that.

peace.

red,
try using a gate on a square/tri wave(hi note)...or just get it into audio and stutter it....with some delay....there are quite a few styles of dis sound...if i could hear the typeyour aimin for maybe i cn be more help...:Smile3:

When mixing and mastering dub tunes are there any tips about how to go about it?

Is it very different from mixing and mastering other styles like chill out?

Back