Nicking basslines

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
I've been struggling to get a bassline to work in the tune I'm trying to finish and in frustration I nicked one from a well known tune as a starting point. But it sounded FANTASTIC! Suddenly its all groovin like a motherfunker and I really want to keep it! But it's totally NICKED!
Morally I feel I should alter it and make it my own, but practically it already works brilliantly and I'll only fuck it up.

What should I do?

Hmmm.

never release it.

learn from it, but never release it. Play it at parties, whatever, but that's it. A whole world of shit awaits you if you a re discovered.

Try, really, really hard to figure out exactly how it was made

good luck

imho it depends what u mean by nicked

if you mean, found a phrase where the bass happened solo, and literally lilfted the loop clean out and dropped it in... hmm... i wouldnt do that myself.

if you mean copied the notes / synth sound / processing etc directly from someone else, then go for it... i'll nick anything me :Smile3:

Well, I sorta have a similar problem. I made a tune and a bline all by myself but screwed something up in my waldorf so the bline patch is gone and now I'm left trying to copy my own bline. It aint working :Smile3:

The thing is, if you use a bline and build a whole tune around it and then want to place your own in there you'll have a hard time making it work. What I have to do now is pretty much rewrite the tune. So... make sure to decide if you'll keep it or do your own before you finish the track :Smile3:

uhm...actually, thats not really what you asked :Smile3:

If it doesnt bug you just keep it... especially if its the generic full-on bline sound everyone uses atm. I dont see why everyone has to figure out how to get that sound by themselves if in the end its going to sound the same anyway :Smile3: better spend time making a good pattern then playing with compressors and eqs.

thats the way i see it anyway :Smile3:

Way hey !! Groovy!!! :partysmi:

I think you're worrying for nothing. As a resident of the lower register, I can tell you that history is littered with basslines that are either intentional or unintentional copies of those from other tracks.

Even if they are different, but largley the same groove, people will think they're nicked. Good times (Chic) vs. Another one bites the dust (Queen) anyone?

The difference in your case, is that it is not what I (being an old fuddy-duddy) would call a bline. It's more a pattern, in the same way that a 16th hi-hat pattern is a pattern.

Know what I'm saying?

And no-one ever said, "oi - you nicked my 16th hi-hat pattern from my xyz track, ya bastard!"

Did they?

The difference in your case, is that it is not what I (being an old fuddy-duddy) would call a bline. It's more a pattern, in the same way that a 16th hi-hat pattern is a pattern.
Know what I'm saying?

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA fair point WB, fair point. Well thats yer psytrance for yer innit?

Think I'll change it a bit anyway, its all going a bit neo-fullon for me....

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AlternateContinuum @ Apr 7 2004, 09:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA fair point WB, fair point. Well thats yer psytrance for yer innit?

Think I'll change it a bit anyway, its all going a bit neo-fullon for me.... [/quote:439c39f889]
Don't misunderstand me, though. I think it OWNS.

It's a Logic Bomb Bassline init?? I know I recognise it.. Either Unlimited CD or Alternate Vision, see you can't get one past me. (I could be completely wrong but I defenitely recognised it straight away).

That must be the Audio Sampled straight from the track yeah, in which case I don't fink you should nick it, unless you wanna call it a remix (it's quite obvious). Try reproducing it with your own midi data\synth patch and yeah steal it.

It's a Logic Bomb Bassline init?? I know I recognise it.. Either Unlimited CD or Alternate Vision, see you can't get one past me. (I could be completely wrong but I defenitely recognised it straight away).

Oooh I am impressed! It's (I think) Alternate Vision off NeoRobotics, can't remember the name of the tune though.

That must be the Audio Sampled straight from the track yeah, in which case I don't fink you should nick it, unless you wanna call it a remix (it's quite obvious). Try reproducing it with your own midi data\synth patch and yeah steal it.

D00d its not a sample, its my patch and notes...I just nicked the notes... :Smile3:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AlternateContinuum @ Apr 7 2004, 11:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Oooh I am impressed! It's (I think) Alternate Vision off NeoRobotics, can't remember the name of the tune though.

D00d its not a sample, its my patch and notes...I just nicked the notes... :Smile3: [/quote:13decc0286]
Yeah I thought it was that one I could hear the next break noise in my head, (durdur dur dur dur dur duuuuuur) Alternate Vision - A Different Perspective.

Good work if you just nicked the notes, and found\tweaked a patch, it's well close and sounds nice and fat and pukka. Keep it you still made it! (I won't tell anybody else promise)

damn straight !!!

Dude, if its your patch and you have programmed the pattern then use it - dont worry !!! :Grin: Be happy !

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Warwick Bassmonkey @ Apr 7 2004, 09:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Even if they are different, but largley the same groove, people will think they're nicked. Good times (Chic) vs. Another one bites the dust (Queen) anyone?
[/quote:a84cb0341e]
:dito: Yeah, what about Vanilla Ice and Queen too?!

I'm at work and so can't listen to the mp3, but I'd go for it an nick it. Just make sure that it develops into or out of something different. If you use the same recognisable bassline on all your drops in the tune then its a bit cheap.

Variation can cause a reaction like "ooh that sounds like that other tune but is actually different", which I think is a very positive reaction to create to music. People love hearing, seeing, smelling things that remind them of something else, especially if they add to the experience rather than recreate it.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rorymonster @ Apr 7 2004, 12:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> :dito: Yeah, what about Vanilla Ice and Queen too?!

[/quote:95c8972353]
[SAD]

Ah, but that was a sample, and I do believe that there was a bit of a stink about it (Queen being one of the most tightly-managed bands in the music business).

Good Times and ...Bites The Dust were two completely different songs, played by different people - and in fact I was sad enough to look it up and find out that they were released in 1979 and 1980 respectively... so 's just a weird one.

[/SAD]

J.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPsychodelicacy @ Apr 7 2004, 12:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Good Times and ...Bites The Dust were two completely different songs, played by different people ... [/quote:910219c234]
Oh yeah, I know that, you know that.

But Shelly and Trisha down The Nag's Head couldn't tell the bassline's apart.

Not the first bar of it anyway.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Warwick Bassmonkey @ Apr 7 2004, 01:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> But Shelly and Trisha down The Nag's Head couldn't tell the bassline's apart.

Not the first bar of it anyway. [/quote:9f2ec25453]
However the fact that we can means they think we're a bit weird and makes them not want to shag us. We need to learn to talk about football. They don't like that either but at least its familiar.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AlternateContinuum @ Apr 7 2004, 01:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
However the fact that we can means they think we're a bit weird and makes them not want to shag us. We need to learn to talk about football. They don't like that either but at least its familiar.

:lol: :lol: :lol: [/quote:9f20a8c022]
:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: - indeed !!!

:baa:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Speakafreaka @ Apr 6 2004, 08:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> never release it.

learn from it, but never release it. Play it at parties, whatever, but that's it. A whole world of shit awaits you if you a re discovered.

Try, really, really hard to figure out exactly how it was made

good luck [/quote:9d584a9cb6]
Total nonsense.

All art is theft. All art is plagiarism. Anyone who thinks they are being original is chronically deluded.

There are only four goa-trance basslines in the world anyway - get stuck in and don't give it a moment's thought.

Etc.

Back