Noise cancelling/reducing headphones

Hab

Grasshopper
Reaction score
. . . . any good for psy? I spend about 3 hours a day on rattling old rolling stock and am starting to get sick of being unable to tell whether a sound is coming from my headphones or the train's engine . . . . . :iwink:

. . . . . not to mention the damage to my eardrums turning it up loud enough so that I can hear all those deep bass rumblings!

Also have heard that the sound quality suffers . . . . . . anyone know if these are any good, as I am loth to splash out £80 unnecessarily!

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
Just get a decent pair of DJ headphones, or monitoring headphones like the Sennheiser HD25's. The ambient noise levels will be _greatly_ reduced. You'll not regret it, and no, the sound quality doesn't suffer, in fact quite the reverse :Smile3: It makes everything sound amazing, even if it isn't :Smile3:

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
The day-job bought me a pair of Bose mk2 noise cancelling cans.

I really like them and think they sound great, although I haven't heard any others to compare them against.

They're quite good at reducing lower frequencies and some white noise. I use them at work when I want to concentrate. I tend to listen to more chilled stuff for pleasure rather than full-on psy though.

:Wink3:

Hab

Grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmmm, yes I've heard about the Bose ones - they're a bit dear for litttle old me though :iwink: Was thinking about the Sennheisers . . . .

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
Having thought about it, it is _possible_ that you could get bad sound from some headphones that need a driver unit to get the correct ohmage. I remember that there is a pair of AKG's that need a seperate driver unit which rules them out for portable use.

You don't with the sennys, and several producers around these parts are fond of them. Loads of DJ's use them and of course DJ headphones need to be noise reducing :Smile3:

Basically, look at the ohms section of the sennys - if any other headphones are the same, they'll work as a portable solution, if you are in doubt, post up and I'll do my best to help.