noob alert

lurk

Stunning Cunt
Reaction score
it's ok, i said noob, not moob.

right then. first of all i know bugger all about music production, but i thought i'd give it a go even though i don't think i have a musical bone in my body.

i've installed reason 2.5; read the tutorial gone and gone through that a few times, so i know how to make a noise :Wink3:

this leads me to my first question(s)... the noises that i have found are fairly shite; so i've read the threads about plug ins and refills, and i'm guessing these are what i need... so, where do i get them, and are they usually free? :Smile3:

my next question, and final one (for now), is in your expert opinions, does a complete novice need a midi keyboard? the tutorial is based on the fact that you do, but i don't particularly want to invest in one until i know i'm going to stick with it... unless it is absolutely necessary.

any help gratefully recieved :Smile3:

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
lurk said:
it's ok, i said noob, not moob.
Damn.

lurk said:
this leads me to my first question(s)... the noises that i have found are fairly shite; so i've read the threads about plug ins and refills, and i'm guessing these are what i need... so, where do i get them, and are they usually free? :Smile3:
There are many free plugins out there, there are many plugins out there that cost money but can be obtained for free. (Ethics .......)

Some are insert effects ..... reverb, delay, phasers etc ..... these effect sound that are passed through them. Then there are instruments - pretty much like the synths that come with Reason, only better.

lurk said:
my next question, and final one (for now), is in your expert opinions, does a complete novice need a midi keyboard? the tutorial is based on the fact that you do, but i don't particularly want to invest in one until i know i'm going to stick with it... unless it is absolutely necessary.
I would say yes. You will get very bored very quickly of systematically 'moving little blocks around on the screen' - which is what you will have to do. A bit like typing, without a keyboard, but with a mouse and a graphical display of the alpabet. You will be able to get to grips with drum programmimng / sampling etc ..... without one, but when it comes to playing with melodies you will be alot happier with a keyboard to jam along on.

2p.

:Smile3:

lurk

Stunning Cunt
Reaction score
ok, my ethics are, shall we say, "loose" on this issue. i haven't got the cash to splash on something that i may get bored of in a couple of months. if i find that i actually have some talent, or even if i don't, that i enjoy it enough to keep up with it, then my ethics will "tighten" :Wink3:

noted re the midi jobbywot :Smile3:

soliptic

whirling mathematician
Reaction score
jamez_23 said:
I would say yes. You will get very bored very quickly of systematically 'moving little blocks around on the screen' - which is what you will have to do. A bit like typing, without a keyboard, but with a mouse and a graphical display of the alpabet. You will be able to get to grips with drum programmimng / sampling etc ..... without one, but when it comes to playing with melodies you will be alot happier with a keyboard to jam along on.

2p.

:Smile3:
i would say no

i started classical training on the piano a good 15 years ago, keyboard is my main instrument,

but i still dont have one in my studio 99% of the time, or use one on 99% of the tracks i do (all my keyboards live in the band's van, which gets parked up miles away, innit)

so its completely possible to work without one

i agree its a pain in the arse and you have a lot more fun, and inspiration flows much easier, when you're jamming melodies and beats down.

but as a total beginner, "without a musical bone in my body", i dont think i'd go out buying a keyboard just yet... to be blunt... you might fiddle around for three weeks and give up... and then you wouldnt want to have wasted a hundred quid. i reckon you can stick it out without one for long enough to discover whether this is for you and whether you need a keyboard to help make it happen.

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
soliptic said:
i i agree its a pain in the arse and you have a lot more fun, and inspiration flows much easier, when you're jamming melodies and beats down.
That bit ..... ^^^^^^^^^^^

But, you will be able to get started without one.

evilwill

definitely
Reaction score
i totally read that as moob!

erm yeah... i've got a midi keyboard now and its great, but i wrote tunes for ages without one. i came from a tracker background and then started using fruityloops, and both of them will convert input from a typing keyboard to notes which is perfectly good enough for working out melodies and listening to samples...

no idea about reason refils and the like having never used it. does reason support vst these days?

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
evilwill said:
. does reason support vst these days?
Wouldn't have a clue.

Didn't relaise you can map pc keyboard keys to notes .... I used to use trackers years ago. Can logic / cubase be set-up to work like this?

If so - I could have saved myself £100 quid. Cant play keyboards to save my life. :lol:

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
I have been making psy for well over five years now, am a grade VIII pianist, and only just got a midi keyboard this last crimbo for the first time. Yes, they are very useful, and I find that I get very different ideas out of them, but if I'd got one when I just started out, with all that midi as well as trying to sort out production (work in progress) I probably would have got thoroughly pissed off with the whole thing.

If you don't feel that you'll get much benefit out of it, then don't worry about it. I would strongly suggest getting a rack of midi knobs and sliders though. I never realised what I was missing.

Well that was ambivalent wasn't it?

mr_faster

ecomingonecomingonstrong
Reaction score
i wouldnt worry with a midi keyboard just yet, ive been fiddlin for 3/4 years now without one, but saying that ive not made anything worthy of being played out (i blame reason!)
if you dont understand a keyboard, then its not going to be too much use yet, concentrate on understanding how to make different types of noises to start with, then you will begin to make melodies as a natural progression.
i make stuff by trial and error.....its sounds crap.....tinker fiddle fiddle shift about....
now its sounds better

goodluck and stick with it :Smile3:

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
I really don't think it's vital to your studio as a noob :Wink3:...
fair enough it can open up the work flow alot... but i still find myself writing in alot of what I do... It's just great for experimenting with ideas :yes:...

tbh i've only had a midi keyboard/synth since November heh :Grin: (but it has made also alot of difference to writing process)

Reaction score
mr_faster said:
(i blame reason!)
I blame u :Smile3:

And MIDI keyboard...if u cant play the piano dont bother. As Jon said, fiddle around with noises...ull get to know the program better/quicker and save money :Smile3:

I never use a keyboard as whatever I play in, the program changes to something COMPLETELY different so its quicker to just use le moose.

Reaction score
cameron's 2p.

midi controller:
Lurk mate...im sure you can find a cheapo toy casio somewhere for well cheap...as long as its got midi ports its a midi keyboard...have a search around...you may not get all the fancy knobs but youll have something to bang on...and since your a DJ you prob do have some riddim and it may be easier to get some beats down from a keyboard....but not essential, just easier and more fun.

reason2.5:
does not support plugins...your stuck with what youu got...Refills are generally soundbanks and third party presets...some are free, youll have to search.
having been a reason basher for the past three years, i recently installed it on my machine cos my studio is currently down and in boxes waiting to be shipped to Brighton, and i wanted to still be able to get some ideas down...although sequencing and mixing on it is quite crappy subtractor can get pretty squelchy esp when combinned with scream dist and some other effects...so reason is more than capable of churning out great sounds, just not for a full on production.
what you need to develop is an understanding of how subtractive synthesis works.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/2288/2ansynth.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_synthesis

good luck man and have fun!!

ichabod

Reaction score
The good thing about Reason for starting out on is that it has a pretty rounded selection of synths, fx and samples straight out of the box.... thats the whole idea of it. The fact that you can't add extra plugins is a benefit to a newbie - it makes you focus on learning the core effects and synths rather than being overwhelmed by millions of plugins like in Cubase or Logic.

Concentrate on learning to program some good drums and start tinkerning with the synths for basslines and leads. A lot of 'classic' psy leads are based on sawtooth waveforms with distortion then sexed up with reverb + delay then maybe phaser, chorus or flanger all of which come with Reason I think. Good luck :Smile3:

Getafix

Bass Freak
Reaction score
My two cents:

I never worked with reason but like you i started messing around a year back just coz i was curious..I would suggest getting your hands on a copy of fruity loops..Its really easy to start with & mess around with..comes with its own plug-ins & supports vsti's (you can find tons of free one's on the net)

If later on you realise you want to take it more seriously you can move on to a more pro sequencer like cubase..But i feel fruity is really easy to get into & it'll help you pick up the basics really quickly (you can check out the demo songs to see how they're structured & get the sounds)

hope this helps..good luck!

lurk

Stunning Cunt
Reaction score
thanks for all the help, guys. this section is truly a font of knowledge.

is there any point in just starting with cubase? i like steep learning curves :Smile3:

ps just out of interest, does anyone use logic anymore?

M

makdaddy

i still use logic, on the rare occasion when i do the doo.

however, if / when i set myself backup i may go over to SX / Live5 as the apple / emagic takeover was a kick in the bollocks for pc Logic users:imad:

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
lurk said:
thanks for all the help, guys. this section is truly a font of knowledge.

is there any point in just starting with cubase? i like steep learning curves :Smile3:

ps just out of interest, does anyone use logic anymore?
I still use logic. Its what I am used to - you can do everything with it. :iyes:

I dont like steep learning curves. :isad:

psymagi

Banned
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to have a certain mate of mine with a good mem_ory :Wink3: to show me the ropes in Cubase. Previously I was used to Logic's platform and the move to Cubase was daunting mainly because it all looks so fucking different and you have to do weird shit like load up midi tracks to get your softies to work. Mr memory insists theres little point beggining with a basic program like FL because "you may aswell get stuck into Cubase as-soon-as because your gonna end up using it anyway." I'm slightly more on the reductionist side of things in terms of understanding the basics of music production i.e. start with FL or Reason because its easy to get disheartened with a fully fledged sequencer and start thinking that your destined for failure in wishing to create the music that has so inspired you.

IMHO I'd get hold of FL Studio AND Cubase and find a good friend to explain things. If you get arsed off with Cubase you can cook up a quick loop in FL to re-instill confidence and vice-versa if you find FL not enough then...