Oakenfold's Goa/Full Moon Essential Mix Appreciation Thread

damion

Pound Shop Alex Petridis
Reaction score
what in tintern abbey are you talking about?
EDIT: mix will be available on http://www.psyreviews.com/oakeymix.mp3 (right click, save target as) until tuesday evening -- it's a massive file, dont even think about trying if you're on dialup :P
if you want it on a CD please PM me asap, i'll be getting them sorted later this week.
-----------

f*ing f*ing f*ck!!!

i remember listening to this after the pub when i'd come back from uni for xmas holidays.... got in and nibbled a bit of hash, my folks were living in this tiny rented place at the time and i had the box room, i just lay on my bed and started out the window at the moon while this was on... twas the first time i heard LSD, stimuli, and all that....

i had it on tape but lost it years ago... then last weekend sat in a mate's car, he had it playing and i couldnt believe it was all of ten years back...

so a week's worth of creative use of broadband *cough* and i've got it. and it's fucking lovely, it just utterly rules. i'm happier than a pig in shit.

anyone else remember it, post adulation below. anyone want a copy, shout :Wink3:

Mr V - "Give Me Life" (Cheeky)
Rise - "Orange" (Perfecto)
Li Kwan - "Point Zero" (Seka)
Ennio Morricone - "Friends" (Mercury)
V Symmetry - "Vaporize" (Eye Q)
Vanelis - "Tears in the Rain" (East West)
Eugiena - "Salt Tank" (white label)
Hallucinogen - "LSD" (Dragon Fly)
Goa Gill - "Near to the Divine" (DAT)
Wojciech Kilar - "Vampire Hunters" (Columbia)
Electrotete - "Alcatraz" (DAT)
Vangelis - "Main Titles" (East West)
John Williams - "Schindler's Workforce" (MCA)
Man With No Name - "Floor Essence" (DAT)
Scorpio Riding - "Bugcater" (DAT)
Tip - "Stimuli" (DAT)
Metalheads - "Innner City Life" (ffrr)
Wojciech Kilar - "Love Remembered"
Voodoo People - "Co-Incidence" (DAT)
Total Eclipse - "Waiting for a new Life" (DAT)
Trance Team - "Wake Up" (diki)
V-Tracks - "Heretic Voices" (Hotside)
Marmion - "Schoneberg" (Pure Energy)
Ennio Morricone - "Vita Nostra" (Virgin)
Karl Biscuit - "Aktualismus" (MTM)
Rise - "Sun" (Perfecto)
Man With No Name - "Deliverance" (DAT)
Perfecto Allstars - "Reach Up" (Perfecto)
Para-Dizer - "Songs of Liberation" (Dos or Die)
Dead Can Dance - "Sanvean" (4AD)
4 Voice - "Eternal Spirit" (Rising High)
Zen Paradox - "Fornicator" (MDS)

:cool:

hubba hubba... this is up there with KLF - Chill Out, Fluke - Six Wheels on my Wagon and the Orb - Beyond the Ultraworld in terms of musical heritage and importance for me... used to have it on tape a long time ago as well... must get a copy, is it a decent quality recording?

Played it 'til my tape broke...literally. Can honestly say this mix changed my life...parties, trips to Goa etc etc..it all started here

lurk said:
KLF - Chill Out, Fluke - Six Wheels on my Wagon and the Orb - Beyond the Ultraworld in terms of musical heritage and importance for me...

Three of my fave albums of all time !!! :Smile3:

Would love a copy of this mix Damion ..... are you gonna stick it anywhere ( ooo eerr ) for downloading >?

ta, James

Yes, I would very much like a copy of this :Smile3:

yeap its very good - so are all the breezeblocks and essential mixes ive been downloading recently :Grin:

absolutely tonnes of them - hours of musical joy to be had :Smile3:

Does any remember a Tribal Gathering around the same time?
Paul Okenfold was playing in one of the smaller tents at dawn and was playing tracks from Dragonfly and Concept in Dance.
It was mad, 'cos a lot of the other tents were half empty but this one was heaving even on the outside. At the time, the only sorts of music where techno, house, rave and hardcore. I remember it being very exciting and connections started being made in my mind (ie trance parties, goa etc etc).
There was another CD as well that did the rounds in Glasters that summer as well, Voyage into Trance, I think it got re-released a couple of years ago.

They were great times, but I do remember having big arguments at the time with various folks along the line of "it'll all go downhill now that Oakenfold and Rampling are actively pushing it on radio 1." :lol1:

I was talking to snafu in a very mesy state the other weekend about this - made it a mini mission to try to get hold of many of those tunes at the time, and got them :Grin:

Might have to buy some more vinyl decks...

Slightly OT but around the same time as that was broadcast Billy Nasty did an essential mix too - it was absolutely f**kin incredible - and the 2 mixes became a soundtrack to a good couple of years partying and working (we were all working/managing a Laserquest site - talk about the most ideal environment - and even got to redecorate the playing arena with all the UV :Grin: )

Aaah, the memories, thanks for that Damion :Wink3:

norty303 said:
Slightly OT but around the same time as that was broadcast Billy Nasty did an essential mix too - it was absolutely f**kin incredible - and the 2 mixes became a soundtrack to a good couple of years partying and working (we were all working/managing a Laserquest site - talk about the most ideal environment - and even got to redecorate the playing arena with all the UV :Grin: )

Aaah, the memories, thanks for that Damion :Wink3:

was that the one with "drugs taking their lives away"? if so, i know it well :Smile3:

It certainly is the canine's testicles.

BTW, not wanting to change the thread, I always felt that the Oakenfold name would be a no no in this forum. Glad I was wrong.

Back