oh no not another one....

TEK_Row

~Catalyst Of the Mind~
Reaction score
One day there was a prison break out at the Highway Pen for murderers and one convict got away, He lays low for a couple of days untill he figures its safe and he starts hitchhiking and a truck driver picks him up and they start down the road. After a while the truck driver sees another hitchhiker with his back turned and thinks what the hell lets scare the hell out of him so he swerved and decided he would get really close to him them he though he was to close and got back on the road at the last second when he hears boom, thump, thump. He look over and sees the convict closing the door. The convict says "I thought you were going to miss him."

It occurs once in a minute
twice in a moment
but never in an hour.

A man rides his horse to town on Friday. Stays for three days, and leaves on Friday. How can that be?

God made Adam out of the dust
But thought it best to make me first;
So I was made before the man,
According to God's Holy plan.
My whole body God made complete
Without arms or hands or feet.
My ways and acts did God control,
But in my body He placed no soul.
A living being I became,
And Adam gave to me a name.
Then from his presence I withdrew
For this man Adam I never knew

All my Maker's laws I do obey
And from these laws I never stray
Thousands of me go in fear
But seldom on the earth appear
Later, for a purpose God did see,
He placed a living soul in me.
But that soul of mine God had to claim,
And from me took it back again.
And when this soul from me had fled,
I was the same as when first made
Without arms, legs, feet or soul,
I travel on from pole to pole

My labors are from day to night,
And to men I once furnished light
Thousands of people young and old
Did by my death bright lights behold
No right or wrong can I conceive;
The Bible and its teachings I can't believe
The fear of death doesn't trouble me
Pure happiness I will never see
And up in Heaven I can never go
Nor in the grave or Hell below.
So get your Bible and read with care;
You'll find my name recorded there.

The answer is one word, five letters long.

One day you return to the forrest of the kind-but-not-so-bright forest people and find that they actually are bright. Apperently their new king, after you left, bought a set of 4 volumes of books on the subject of solving perplexing riddles. He read them, and placed them on his bookshelf when he was done. Now as a new rule, all who wish to enter the village must solve a riddle to gain admittance.
So you walk up to the entrance and a worm comes out to meet you. He says.. "To pass you must answer me this. Since all the forrest people became smart I thought I would learn as well by reading the four volumes of books on solving riddles. Now four volumes is alot to read, so I thought I would take it two volumes at a time. Yesterday I decided to get through the first two volumes. So I wiggled my way to the first page of volume one and ate all the way to the last page of volume 2, then wiggled out and went home.

Then today I took the next two volumes starting at the first page of volume 3 and eating through to the last page of volume 4.

I eat in a straight line and it is horizontal. Now each cover of the book is 1 cm thick and all the pages of each book are 2 cm. So each book is 4 cm thick.

So finally the question is.....What distance did I eat through?"

Note: The answer is not 12 or 16 and you didn't squash the worm and walk past.

by: Michael Saunders-
Three men and a monkey live in a treehouse on an island. The men find a nice ripe bunch of bananas but it takes them all day to get up the tree and bring them down. So they decide to go to sleep and divide up the bananas in the morning.

During the night the first man wakes up while the others sleep, looks at the bananas, and decides to take his 1/3 of the bunch. Since the bunch didn't divide evenly he gave the extra banana to the monkey. After he fell asleep the second man woke up in the same way and took his third, giving the extra banana to the monkey. Finally the third man woke up and did the same, taking a third of the bananas in the bunch and since it didn't divide evenly into three's he gave the extra banana to the monkey.

The next morning the men woke up and divided up what was left into three piles, giving the extra banana to the monkey.

What is the least number of bananas that could be in this bunch?

very good-
you are on your way to enlightenment intreped deciple...

I've measured it from side to side,
'Tis three feet long and two feet wide.
It is of compass small, and bare
To thirsty suns and parching air....

TEK_Row said:
very good-
you are on your way to enlightenment intreped deciple...

I've measured it from side to side,
'Tis three feet long and two feet wide.
It is of compass small, and bare
To thirsty suns and parching air....

That's Wordsworth, at his very worst. He was describing a small pond, probably in the Lake District somewhere, maybe Grasmere.

Yes indeed
.....it was a grave error of which i am assure must of caused havoc and incovience of the highest order, for missing out that crucial five letter word-

(cough) (QUOTE) (cough)

...Shame on me...

Imagine a world where multiplication over the symbols a, b, and c is defined as follows:

a b c
------------------------------
a | a a c
b | c a b
c | b c a

(interpret this table as saying a*a = a, b*c = b, and so on)

Given a string S = "s1s2 ... sn" composed of symbols a, b, and c, define the LR-Product of S as follows:

LR-Product(S) = ( ... (((s1 * s2) * s3) * s4) ... )
This essentially says multiply the first two digits, then take that product and multiply it by the third digit, then take that product and multiply it by the fourth digit, and so on, processing the string in this fashion from left to right. Similarly, define the RL-Product of S as follows

RL-Product(S) = ( ... (((sn-1 * sn) * sn-2) * sn-3) ... )
This does the same thing, but moving from right to left.

Problem: Design a deterministic finite automaton (finite state machine) that accepts all strings
over the alphabet {a,b,c} whose LR-Product and RL-Product are identical.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note 1: From Ranjit Jhala, GSI for CS172 (Computability and Complexity) at UCB, and my former CS170 GSI. Taken from discussion 1/29/2003.

Note 2: Note that the desired language is not quite a language of palindromes. There is no DFA which can accept palindromes.

Note 3: If you are unfamiliar with the terminology, feel free to ask. Or you can google search for notes. lol

Rohan said:
Three men and a monkey live in a treehouse on an island. The men find a nice ripe bunch of bananas but it takes them all day to get up the tree and bring them down. So they decide to go to sleep and divide up the bananas in the morning.

During the night the first man wakes up while the others sleep, looks at the bananas, and decides to take his 1/3 of the bunch. Since the bunch didn't divide evenly he gave the extra banana to the monkey. After he fell asleep the second man woke up in the same way and took his third, giving the extra banana to the monkey. Finally the third man woke up and did the same, taking a third of the bananas in the bunch and since it didn't divide evenly into three's he gave the extra banana to the monkey.

The next morning the men woke up and divided up what was left into three piles, giving the extra banana to the monkey.

What is the least number of bananas that could be in this bunch?

I believe it's 79 bananas? Of course, by the time they'd divided the bananas up, there would be none left at all...

There's this pistol duel between you, Skazi and Mr. Eskimo. You kill your opponent one in every three attempts, Eskimo has an efficiency of 50% and Skazi has mad l33t killaaaaar pistol skillz meaning he wins 100% of the time. Every round only one person gets one a shot and the worst shooter starts followed by the next worst and so on (i.e. you go first).

If someone dies, their turn is skipped. What should you shoot at to triumph over Skazi and Junya?

You have 12 identical-looking juggling balls. One of these balls has a different weight from all the others because there's a bottle of acid stashed inside. You also have a two-pan balance for comparing the weights of the balls. Using the balance the fewest number of times, work out which ball contains the LSD-25, and also determine whether it is heavier or lighter than the others.

Back