Origin II - Nano Records

Ruskin

will smack you one
Reaction score
nar1cd009.jpg

Hot off the press, Nano's April release shares nine of the best moments from this year's Origin festival in South Africa. My suspicions that this would be an event which should not be missed have been confirmed. Bugger.

1. Eskimo - on a roll.
Predictably unoriginal, not to my taste.
2. Aphid Moon - nu groove.
Absolutely killer. Rounded off by a superb drop, driven by a teeth-gritting melody bursting at the seems. What fun.
3. Hydrophonic - above is below.
Builds nicely, but seems unsure what to do or where to go.
4. Jumanji - roll the dice (amd remix).
Nice continuous groove with well-placed interweaving squidgy sounds.
5. Tristan - cheap and meaningful.
Atmospheric. Pulsing inexorably onwards with a guitar riff which loops determinedly over and over. It just about works.
6. The Commercial Hippies - one step.
Bare and uninspired. If it wern't for the bongos it would feel more at home on a technotrance cd.
7. Protoculture - oceanic.
Ethereal, soaring melodies envelop an effortless yet unstoppable movement onwards. 'Ave it.
8. Silver Surfers - max e flow.
Nice'n'bouncy, with well-contoured phrases and a satisfyingly crunchy drop towards the end.
9. Annarchy - through my own eyes.
Slower and more care-free than the preceeding tracks. Heavy, but dainty; not dissimilar to a sumo wrestler in a tutu.

8/10

i thinking this might be the best Nano album so far !! the first few (up to 6 ) are nice nice full on and then winds down (or up!! depends how u standing!) into a melodic to progeressive slide!!
3 (out of 9) tracks ive played out so far ... the Tristan track for me is just 'hats-off' material .. but yeah Tristan, and a nitetime vibe Hydrophonic and their lil brothers Commercial Hippies have all ripped the dancefloors so far .. !!
looking fwd to more listening :Wink3:

xx

nice Cd.......theres been some dissapointment for me so far in 2005 , well in Nano

Really? Nano go from strength to strength. Another great comp :?

Just listening to this now! Liking Aphid Moon, and Tristan and bits of Hydrophonic...
Annarchy is a well deep trippy number as well.
The Protoculture\Silver Surfers sound a little "heard it all before"
and some tracks are sounding quite weak to me... inc Jumanji Remix and Commercial Hippies.
Maybe I need to hear them LOUDER at home!
Not my Fav Nano Album, the Protoculture Natural Selection Compilation rocked more for me!

Pretty good comp overall i think.......2-6 are the best on the album imo
Aphid Moon - Wicked track....big improvement on his earlier stuff :Smile3:
Hydrophonic - Not a bad track.....nice and groovy with a cool sample from what i can remember
Jumanji - loads better than the original.....doesn't have the sample in it which is good....i hated that sample
Tristan - Guitars done in a good way.....nice and chunky....typical tristan styleeeeee
Commercial Hippies - not one of my favourite of theirs....still a good rollin track

:Grin: :Grin: I like it

Will Dogon said:
Tristan - Guitars done in a good way.....nice and chunky....typical tristan styleeeeee
Yeah I'm not generally a fan of guitar trance (alien project is a good example of shite guitar riffs) but this Tristan tune is pretty good. Although I still reckon the guitar increases the 'facteur de fromage', it still works well coz of the meaty beaty!
:badger:

Will Dogon said:
Aphid Moon - Wicked track....big improvement on his earlier stuff :Smile3:

Totally agree with this, I never liked Aphid Moon at all, until AMD's recent "Quantum Accelerator" Track, and I think that one must have been Aphid Moon influence, more than Dick Trevor, cause the Aphid Moon beastie on this compilation is the same style of: powerfull rolling and solid bass and kick, with interesting developing tweaky lines on top!! :Smile3: My Fav on this Compilation.

Back