pc building probs=head+brick wall

Abstraction

happy juice
Reaction score
ok now ive got the bits of my computer, put them together and promptly fucked it up, is there any way of reseting the whole bloody thing and starting again from scratch, as if id just put it together and hadn't turned it on yet?

please somebody say yes :ibiggrin:

Abstraction

happy juice
Reaction score
it turns on, and it does all that bit that looks like dos, but as soon as it tries to load windows (which worked the first few times i turned it on) it says there was a problem and would i like to start up in safe mode? but safe mode doesnt work either, it just makes an endless page of gibberish.
i think it must be one of the drivers ive installed, cos thats when it stopped working, but without windows i dont know how to undo what ive done

herbert newbert

native horizon
Reaction score
ahh well you've done the hard part then :ismile: getting the thing to actually switch on...

unfortunately windows is incredibly easy to completely trash.... usually, as you have found, after installing a particular driver or whatever... sometimes you can save it with that safe mode thing... but in my experience i've found it pretty useless anyway

personally i would just re-install windows again... are you using xp? i think you should be able to boot from the cd and just do a new installation.... will mean that you will lose anything currently on your c: drive already...

you can, if you want to start completly afresh, get a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm (the win98 one is the most straightforward and will fit on a single floppy) and boot into dos to format the drive from there, which will get you back to the very beginning...

g

M

makdaddy

Ross, dude... sorry to hear your having trouble there - did you get it sorted ?

was the Hdd you were booting from your old Hdd (pre-installed with OS and apps n stuff?) 'cos windows is shite at booting from pre-loaded Hdd's

SteveJ...

Boo!
Reaction score
Yup - XP doesn't like transplanting onto new hardware, the HAL is specific to your hardware and setup during install. Nine times out of ten if the hardware is considerably different XP will puke on boot.

If you want to keep it as is you'll need to run a repair install - boot with the XP CD, ignore the first "Press R to repair" as that takes you to the Recovery Console and continue as if you are going to install clean, it'll then ask if you wish to repair an installation - do it :Wink3:

This should work but I'd always suggest a clean install on new hardware just because you know where you are.

Abstraction

happy juice
Reaction score
think ill have to do the boot disk thing cos when i put the windows cd in and choose a clean install it gets as far as checking the hdd or something and then just sits there and stops doing anything. thanks for the help everybody

SteveJ...

Boo!
Reaction score
Well maybe try going to the Recovery Console and running chkdsk before you try and reinstall - boot with the XP CD, choose R to Repair, at the command prompt type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes, hit enter and take the dog out :Smile3: It may take a while. If that procedes properly then try the repair install again. Or just bite the bullet and clean install.

Abstraction

happy juice
Reaction score
reinstalling doesnt work unfortunately, it gets stuck as soon as it starts.
however, i have managed to get a dos boot disk that works (found the option when i was formatting a floppy disk) so i have dos now! does anyone know what i should type to format the hard disk? the last time i used dos was about 1989! :lol:

M

makdaddy

depends on what kindof dos it is (some dont have a full command set)

try fdisk - my dos is as rusty as your no doubt

whitedog

Lunar SeeD
Reaction score
File system?
Chances are you won't be able to do anything to it in dos, as xp superceeds dos.

You need to boot it off the xp cd and then either use the repair feature, or re-partition/re-format it, and re-install.
If it won't boot off cd, but gets as far as looking at the hard disk and then stops completely, then that suggests that there is something wrong with the hard disk or the disk controller.
Check all the cables, and jumpers carefully, and try again.
If it still won't boot, then try another disk drive.

Is the BIOS set to boot from cd first?

Abstraction

happy juice
Reaction score
it will boot off the cd fine, but when i tell it to do a repaire the screen just goes completely blank, and when i tell it to do a clean install it gets stuck.
the boot order was 1)cd 2)hdd, but now ive put a fdd in and changed it to 1)fdd 2)cd 3)hdd cos ive been trying these boot disks.

whitedog

Lunar SeeD
Reaction score
The xp installation should do the partition and/or the format for you, if it needs it.
The fact that it boots from the cd but stops when it needs to access the hard disk indicates a disk problem.
Have you checked the cables and Jumpers?
If you are sure they are correct then I would try another hard disk...

As I said, the chances are dos will not recognise the file system, anyway, so boot disks will not be any use.

SteveJ...

Boo!
Reaction score
Hence why I suggested running chkdsk from the recovery console.

Worth downloading the diagnostics for your hard drive - it'll create a bootable CD or floppy, boot with it and run the tests.

Abstraction

happy juice
Reaction score
whitedog said:
Have you checked the cables and Jumpers?
If you are sure they are correct then I would try another hard disk...
yeah, checked the cables and jumpers, i think i will have to do that. thanks for all your help everyone.

:imad: computers: JUST SAY NO :imad: