pc folders problem. I've noticed it's a common problem

etnarama

----------/----------
Hello i have noticed that in my pc (Windows XP) i have some folders that i can't delete it keeps saying that the folder is being used by a person or program. I have two folders behaving like that, one of those folders is an old windows instalation. I have tried to access them via the Administrator and safe modes but nothing. Does anyone have a clue about what to do?

etnarama

----------/----------
collin
"Can you still not delete them once you've restarted the machine? "
NO

"This happens to me sometimes and I find that killing Explorer in the Task Manager and restarting it (from the Run command in the File menu of Task Manager) lets me delete the folder. "
I plug my computer on and the first thing i do is to delete those folders, before i open explorer, still dont allow me so dont know, these files are from net downloads, i put antivirus,spywares,trojans on top and they all say there are clean files. But i will try your trick, tell ya later.

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Thx Col, that trick just worked for some beta drivers that 'd nabbed off some site claiming to have leaked nVidia stuff and refused to be deleted. Very cool, I'd been worrying that it was 15mb of dodgy malware just ticking away in the background for ages.

Technognome

Professor of Ecognomics
Colin OOOD said:
Dave - I think he's trying to tell us it's broken, and can we help him fix it...

Fair play but he didn't actually say his computer was unusable or playing up just that he couldn't delete a couple of folders. Personal experience of fiddling with stuff to try and achive that little bit more when the whole thing was essentially working in the first place has brought me to the conclusion that 'unless it's broken don't fix it' - it would have saved me the trouble of reinstalling my entire OS - with the 12GB data back-up and slight worry when I discovered the 1 inch crack in the driver disc half way through the process - bad because I had a job on with the deadline approaching fast. All because I thought it would be a good idea to install a bunch of video codecs. :rolleyes:

But hey I'm installing hacks on my digital camera - tho to be honest the fact that I have to give it a thump before it works kind of leads to a relaxed attitude re breaking it more.

PHLUR :sun:

Faction

Proto-col

Technognome said:
Fair play but he didn't actually say his computer was unusable or playing up just that he couldn't delete a couple of folders. Personal experience of fiddling with stuff to try and achive that little bit more when the whole thing was essentially working in the first place has brought me to the conclusion that 'unless it's broken don't fix it' - it would have saved me the trouble of reinstalling my entire OS - with the 12GB data back-up and slight worry when I discovered the 1 inch crack in the driver disc half way through the process - bad because I had a job on with the deadline approaching fast. All because I thought it would be a good idea to install a bunch of video codecs. :rolleyes:

But hey I'm installing hacks on my digital camera - tho to be honest the fact that I have to give it a thump before it works kind of leads to a relaxed attitude re breaking it more.

I had this problem once with a folder which contained 6 GB of data - none of which I could delete - and needed to recover the space so I could do what I actually needed to do. To me, that comes under the category of 'broken'. Personally I wasn't that interested in exactly why castrodp wanted to delete the folders; maybe it was because he needed the space, or perhaps he just wanted to reduce the confusion caused by unwanted folders somewhere on his hard drive - both reasons I have had myself for wanting to do this. I don't know, and neither do I care - I just want to help.

You're quite right; it's silly (bordering on stupid) to do a major fix such as reinstalling the OS (or, as I found out recently) upgrading one's CPU when you have a deadline looming - but that's not what this thread is about.

etnarama

----------/----------
Mates just relax... the pc works fine but like colin said it takes 2gigas of my drive... i have sorted it already...
Colin check in isratrance... The other bloke gave me another solution

Technognome

Professor of Ecognomics
I would consider 2GB as broken.

And I think we are relaxed. Colin and I have obviously both had 'fun' with computers :rolleyes: