PC Sound cards

zeromonkey

Monkey
Reaction score
Umm, does anyone know:

a) If it is possible to have 2 sound cards in a PC so that I could mix on my PC and have one output coming through the headphones and another being recorded or coming throught line out or whatever. Like a mixer has one output that the amp plays and one that the headphones receive. If this is possible, what software would enable me to record a mix on my PC ?

b) What sound cards are good to get ?

Skenkl

Reaction score
Zero-G said:
Umm, does anyone know:

a) If it is possible to have 2 sound cards in a PC so that I could mix on my PC and have one output coming through the headphones and another being recorded or coming throught line out or whatever. Like a mixer has one output that the amp plays and one that the headphones receive. If this is possible, what software would enable me to record a mix on my PC ?

b) What sound cards are good to get ?

Yes you can, don't think it matters what type of card either.

Just have to assign them to the appropiate outputs on the program i.e tractor. My mate (opia) uses a PCi card and the on board motherboard souncard I think.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
a) They've been discussing it in this thread.

b) Rather than two sound cards, it's usually best to get a single sound card with 4 (or 2 stereo) outputs. As to whether you want PCI/Firewire/USB or even PCMCIA (if you're on a laptop), there are advantages and drawbacks to each. Will write more when I get in from work.

Skenkl : It is possible to use 2 cards with Traktor, but it means using the (slightly flaky) DirectSound drivers. :/

J.

slasi

Junior Members
Reaction score
I think <a href=http://www.asio4all.com/>Asio4All</a> allows you to use multiple sound cards as one virtual ASIO device. This should work with Traktor. It also provides fairly low latency with built-in audio.

zeromonkey

Monkey
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, looks like i'm gonna have to buy a sound card with multiple outputs but since i'm using traktor already there shudn't be much problem making this work :Smile3:

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Marc - the ASIO4All trick *does* work with the latest version (I had an earlier version that was a bit stuttery on the monitor (headphones) side).

Which means that niether of us have to faff about with a multi-out soundcard if we don't want to. :Grin:

J.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
1) Get ASIO4All : http://www.asio4all.com/
2) Install both your sound cards
3) In ASIO4All control panel, enable all ports on both sound cards.
4) Start Traktor
5) Select ASIO4All as output driver
6) Set which card you want to use as monitor, and which you want to use as master out.

Simple, I promise (Though I'll admit it took me a while to figure out how to do it the first time) !

J.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Oh yeah, should also be possible to use any sound card that has 5.1 outputs... (though onboard sound can have slightly fuzzy DACs)

J.

norty303

Member (Todger)
Reaction score
On the same thread, does anyone have any experience of laptop cards for use with Traktor?

Looking at the Echo Indigo DJ coz of price and the dual outs and the fact it's Cardbus (i want to try to keep as much 'in' the machine as possible, there's going to be enough bits plugged in anyway)

Anything else worth considering without breaking the bank?

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Yeah - use the ASIO4All drivers (Google it), and set it up with both your internal soundcard and the MBox. When you select ASIO4All as the output driver in Traktor, you should be able to select outputs on both.

J.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
It can be a bit fiddly to get - you need to have the MBox pluggend in and working for it to detect it for a start. I'll have a check on my lappy when I get home, because I use the same setup with my internal card plus my PCR-1.

J.

PsY_pYrO

Doctor Dan
Reaction score
norty303 said:
On the same thread, does anyone have any experience of laptop cards for use with Traktor?

Looking at the Echo Indigo DJ coz of price and the dual outs and the fact it's Cardbus (i want to try to keep as much 'in' the machine as possible, there's going to be enough bits plugged in anyway)

Anything else worth considering without breaking the bank?

im currently using traktor 2 with a creative sb audigy2.
i record and mix using the same soundcard and it all sounds fine!
i use it with my behringer dx626 and cdj's 200's..

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
i'm thinking of buying the M-Audio Fast Track Pro as it's got some great features. it isnt USB 2.0 though... i'm no expert on the differences between old USB and USB 2.0... will it make a noticeable difference?