Pc to Mac data transfer

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
i'm looking for help on finding a way to access one computer from other, the situation, is that one of them is a Mac with Os9 that i can't upgrade, this because the hardware installed is only Os9 compatible
on this mac i have firwire ports and ethernet, on the pc firwire and ethernet too, running Winxp
any ideas? my needs are on frequent audio samples transfers beewteen both
thanks

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
yes, ethernet... the cards we use for the lans, i'm right here, eh?
any ideas of appz!?

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
Man, thanks a lot, you gave me more information than i could find in 2 days!
thanks very much ::Grin:

giorgos

Junior Members
Reaction score
Yeah, me and J done it once and it worked with his MacOS and my XP PC. Not sure about OS9, though. From the PC end u need to right click on the file you want to share and activate file sharing, also you probably need to turn any firewalls off(defenitely true if you run any Norton firewall) and maybe try and run the network setup wizard from 'Accessories'. Experiment! The app to let you see mac files with your PC is called 'MacDrive' (http://www.mediafour.com/) but I dont' think you need that, I only used it when I firewired one of my friends hard drive that was Mac formatted.

Hope it helps...

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
i'm using already Macdrive to format and transfer files to my 128mg pendrive... it's a cool app but it's definatelly not the most practise method for the transfers

following '~j~' links i managed to found a lot of info and appz to try that were build exactly for the effect, but than didn't had the time yet to try them, i gave a little try only on configuring shared folders using ethernets and the crossover cable, but no success yet
next time with time i'll follow every instruction and i believe i'll do it

i read that with macosx the user doesn't even need 3rd parties, for wixp based machines to connect with macs

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
~ j ~ said:
exactly.
as giorgos said, it was just a case of connecting the pc and mac with a crossover cable, then switching off both firewalls, and switching on filesharing on both putas. thats basically it.

easi peesi
i like particularly, the 'basically' part .. .. argh!

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
It's easier than it sounds. :Smile3:

The nice thing is that any *nix derivative can speak SMB (Windows fileshare) without too much difficulty. Windows can even speak AppleTalk if you *really* want it to! :Smile3:

J.

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
JPsychodelicacy said:
It's easier than it sounds. :Smile3:

The nice thing is that any *nix derivative can speak SMB (Windows fileshare) without too much difficulty. Windows can even speak AppleTalk if you *really* want it to! :Smile3:

J.
you're not making it sound easy ;p

J6 said:
ermm... what are you talking about?
i hope it's not linux ;/