Physics

Torsion Jim

seasonal vegetables
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Here is Q. Perhaps it's nonsense, but still if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it.

In the thought experiment of Schrodinger's Cat, why doesn't the observation of the cat breakdown the superposition, so it either lives or dies?

As in, the cat is an observational being and is in their with the poison and radioactive decay. So why doesn't it's observation of what is happening effect what is happening to it's destiny?

Last edited:

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
Reaction score
tl;dr the thought experiment is an amplification of a quantum effect to non-quantum scales - this is why there's a radioactive isotope and a detector.

Regarding the cat - it cannot observe itself dead, so it is basically one and the same with the experiment and why it's not a valid observer.

Torsion Jim

seasonal vegetables
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
It was the Relationable Interpretation that I seemed to be getting at

The cat has some information on the superposition but it's only when the box is opened do we get a definitive result

psychedelvic

Forum Member
Reaction score
I interpret superposition as potential, as in the cat is potentially dead or alive. You don’t know until you look. Then all potential realities dissolve into what you see. 🐈⬛