Physics

That's one big can of theoretical worms. I would say briefly that it's my view that time doesn't exist, that it is another abstraction used to make sense of a phenomena that minds can't comprehend. What we can be sure of is that change occurs, but no one has the faintest idea why things change. Humans slap a number on that concept of change so they can study it.

Things happen, that is true. Humans wished to study the things happening so they invented abstractions by which things happening could be quantified. This enabled the things happening to be standardised, contrasted and compared.

I did all ready have an opinion on the possible answer. I was more interested in what other people thought on the subject tbh.

For example, I think it could be argued that concepts, such as numbers, exist in a conceptual space outside of the human mind. If we defined the human mind as something that exists solely between the ears on our heads. But that would require a huge amount of work that I'm not willing to provide right now

As in a 'dimension of concepts'. So a real, yet transient reality that intersects with our current dimensions somehow

Last edited:
I think that's the sort of question that needs a different perspective to ours. And by ours I mean humans. I don't believe personally numbers exist outside of our heads, as indeed numbers can be used to describe things other than pure quantities.

The one question that really does my nogging is, is mathematics a function of reality or reality a function of mathematics? If the former, do different realities have different mathematics? Assuming there are other realities.

My answer would be that we can't assume mathematics is ubiquitous throughout our own universe, let alone apply it to another 'uni'verse. By that I mean all the laws uncovered by maths may not be applicable throughout our entire universe

If anyone here hasn't visited the diamond light source synchrotron I totally recommend

Two other experiments disagree with those results tho. Let's hope it's not another case of the "faster than light" neutrinos.

Back