Planet Dog/Megadog

underslunky

Junior Members
How do people view the influence of the whole Megadog/Planet Dog (Eat Static, Astralasia, Banco, Timeshard etc) scene on the current psy scene? Just curious as this is what I'm looking at in my PhD!

digifrog

Photography mad.
Planet Dog. A definate & direct influence I'd say. Loved Planet Dog from day 1 back in 92, and was a huge listener of Banco De Gaia (following on from the tracks that appeared on Beyonds' Ambient Dub albums). Then 93 saw the release of Banco's 93 album Maya, and subsequently the Eat Static albums, and of course the subliminal album from Children Of The Bong. Predating psy of course, but 'ethnic techno' (Banco) & 'alien techno' (ES) are obvious precursors. I think Eat Statics album Implant out in 1994 is a major factor in governing influence imo, and still sounds great today. One of my favourite all time chill tunes is a track from 'Feed Your head Vol 2' called Sadhana by Alien Progeny (Steve Everitt). Obvious acts then are still popular to the scene now of course. Makyo being one. This earlier form of electronic dance music IS as mentioned by the other postee, the 'stepping stone'.

Megadog. Funnily enough, I didn't really see a jump (excluding the music here of course) between the scene then and the scene now. The musical attitude was for me is one and the same. I did 3 Megadogs, if it weren't for the time difference and musical advances, I wouldn't be able to tell any difference. Even if musical divergences have happened since then.

Magick Eye. A label supporting Astralasia. For me OK. Didn't really like everything Astralasia did, but what I did like was quality. Not forgetting other acts on this label like Magic Mushroom Band, Children Of Dub, UVX etc. UVX having inputs into the early part of the Matsuri label.

:Smile3: Hope this helps

digifrog

Photography mad.
Monkey Do said:
There used to be a time when everyone you met who was into Goa had taken the
Metal -> Planet/Megadog -> Goa Trance route.

But maybe it was because I tended to have these conversations at the Agincourt in Camberley in about 1996?

Ah, I missed out on the 'metal' part. I was a huge New Order/Sugarcubes/Stone Roses fan before then
:Smile3:

Geoff3

Direct DJ
My Musical Education started @ Eat Static @ a young age....

and hasn't really progressed since!! if it ain't broke don't fix it!! :Wink3:

JohnM

blah blah blah
Monkey Do said:
There used to be a time when everyone you met who was into Goa had taken the
Metal -> Planet/Megadog -> Goa Trance route.

But maybe it was because I tended to have these conversations at the Agincourt in Camberley in about 1996?

There's a fair amount of truth in that - in the late 90s there seemed to quite a correlation between:

ex - metaller/hippy -> psy trance
ex - alternative type -> trance/techno
ex - punk -> acid techno

Back to the question - I'd say the club/planet/mega dog stuff mirrored the "underground" (whatever that is) shift to dance music and provided quite an accessible way in for many people as there were still bands playing and the venues used were often live music venues.

The whole Planet/club Dog thing does tend to get ignored in many histories of goa/psy trance - Not sure why? Did any other countries had a similar hippy techno thing going on in the late 80s/early90s? Does anyone know??

spacekitty

furballs in space
sorry to be off topic but is planetdog on somewhere ? if it is i really wanna go :Smile3:

shpiral

outside
Definately a big influence. I used to go to all the MegaDog all nighters back in the day, and feel that this was the beginnings of what we call the psy scene now. The music and atmosphere were similar, the whole Ozrics, Eat Static psychedelic thing was going on as an extention of the space rock scene with bands such as Hawkwind and Gong. RTTS was born out of this love for electronic spacey music, and I guess the chill out scene is strongly linked to this with artists like Banco De Gaia and The Orb who performed for the MegaDog crew. In a way without Club Dog we wouldn't have been exposed to the Ozrics, and hence the psy scene in London would never had existed. Now there's a sobering thought !