Possibly interesting find on Powercore FW stability

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
I've just posted this on the Powercore forum, so just in case it's of any use to anyone here (also posted here because someone may have more experience with the PCI config issue and may wish to comment):

--------

I managed to put together a project that was causing freezes and stuttering on my system with Powercore Virus (new V2.0 drivers), so I thought I'd look into doing what I could to sort things.

After trying various different obvious things, I thought I'd have a play with the BIOS's PCI settings.

I *think* I've found something that's gotten rid of the problem, that with any lock might help others here (fingers crossed):

I dropped the PCI Latency Timer from the default of 32 all the way to *1*.

Here's a description of PCI Latency Timer I found via a google (it's part way down the page):

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02h.htm

Now, if I understand that correctly, that sounds like I've reduced the effect of potential PCI bus hogs at the expense of overall performance.

I'll probably try increasing the PCI latency until things break.

BTW - my Via based FW card is 6306 based.

Any thoughts on this?

Edit:

I'm also wondering if something like this would help this situation?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
False alarm unfortunately.

I'm still getting the odd problem.

However - just turned on multi-processing and things seem better. Maybe I'm suffering with the SX3.1 CPU spikes?

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Possibly Colin.

I'm clutching at straws at the minute.

I might see if I can borrow a different 1394 card, or move onto my laptop for this project.

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Sorted - just swapped out the Via card for an SIIG 800 PCI-32T.

The project I was having problems with now works 100%

Phew!