Reaction score
3 things.

1. have you heard of this genre?

2. do you like it?

3. check this out!

1. Who hasn't?
2. Hell yes.
3. Where to start?

Well the obvious choice would be to check out the must listen bands: Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Rós.

Next make sure you're into Jeniferever (debut album came out last week), Pelican, Set Fire To Flames, God Is An Astronaut, Fly Pan Am, Múm and Do Make Say Think.

Not really post-rock but one of my favourite bands of the last year nonetheless are the mighty 65daysofstatic. See them live if you can.

Post rock can be very psychedelic through headphones.

Godspeed are GODS
Mogwai are EVEN FUCKING BETTER
Sigur Rós make me cry
and EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY ARE HEAVENLY CREATURES!!!!

The intensity is brutal. Can I send you an mp3? It might start a whole new love for you

how about Red Sparrows then?

totally dig them and they are playing live on saturday where I am!

post rock is good for you

ha red sparrowes indeed :badger:
enjoy ozric

always a little confused as to what qualifies as post-rock

how about 5ive's Continuum Research Project?

Bacchanal said:
ha red sparrowes indeed :badger:
enjoy ozric

always a little confused as to what qualifies as post-rock

how about 5ive's Continuum Research Project?

love your taste bacch! :iyes:

saw them live four years ago (along with knut); wow!

sad they went off the radar since...

rcorlett said:
Godspeed are GODS
Mogwai are EVEN FUCKING BETTER
Sigur Rós make me cry
and EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY ARE HEAVENLY CREATURES!!!!

Yes yes!

However, no-one seems to have mentioned the (in my mind) undisputed kings of this genre. Despite the fact that they themseves might be more inclined to descibe their stuff as 'post rock infused psychedelic metal', they belong on anyone's track list:

ISIS

A mate bought me their Panopticon album last year for my birthday and we both went to see them live at the man Fiddler a while ago. This is the best album in any genre that I've heard for years. Scarily good.

They toured with Mogwai a while ago and also managed to blow the rig at All Tomorrows Parties and still managed to come back from it (after it was fixed) and convert the entire place to their (wall of) sound.

Zen Cat said:
Yes yes!

However, no-one seems to have mentioned the (in my mind) undisputed kings of this genre. Despite the fact that they themseves might be more inclined to descibe their stuff as 'post rock infused psychedelic metal', they belong on anyone's track list:

ISIS

A mate bought me their Panopticon album last year for my birthday and we both went to see them live at the man Fiddler a while ago. This is the best album in any genre that I've heard for years. Scarily good.

They toured with Mogwai a while ago and also managed to blow the rig at All Tomorrows Parties and still managed to come back from it (after it was fixed) and convert the entire place to their (wall of) sound.

oooooooh! Isis yes yes yes :iyes:

I remember, the first time i heard them. one of my friends was doing their very first suspension, and chose celestial as the music he wanted to hang to. the build and intensity was incredible. beautiful stuff.

not sure they fit that comfortably with the other bands in this thread (apart from maybe Pelican) but yes, Isis are monstrous

anyone got any of Battles stuff? they just got signed up to Warp and put all their EP's into one full length album, which should not be missed.

wicked instrumental post-rock with hip-hop beats slipping in every now and then, proper good stuff.

Back