Programming Breakbeat percussion..

norty303 Apr 5, 2004

1. norty303

norty303 Member (Todger)

Threads:
    I want to add some breakbeat style percussion to give the track i'm playing with a bit more groove and variety but despite experimentation never achieve the desired effect.

Don't suppose anyone could post a description or even better a midi file to show the way....? :Wink3:

Also here's some more (all) to the track i started a coupla weekends ago, you'll hear why it needs the percussion, and i'm gonna work with some pads/fills next i think. Some criticism please..... (yeah and i know it's not 'that' psy but it's not supposed to be :P )

Download here

or if ur on broadband copy/paste the url into ur player and it should stream

2. Lam

Lam Guest

I bought a floppy disc called Midi Breakbeats which does what it says on the tin.
    I find them good to start with and then alter them to suit.

3. formiga

formiga plasm

Threads:
    well

i dont know what else it could be if it aint psy...

its interesting to hear that even at this early stage, you already seem to have a basic structure to the whole track! i never done that yet. you quantizing in any particular sync? altering swing can have positiv effect on beats...

4. Speakafreaka

Speakafreaka Champagne Rouletter

Threads:
    this is kinda tricky man! :Smile3:

in lots of places, i like your sparse and stripped down rythyms!

but, what you want is breaks, so...

I'd be sodding around with temposynced delays if i were you and filling out your rythyms.

try recording one bar with LOTS of feedback, then just screwing around with the tail of the rythym and messing it up with a temposynced filter...

or...

get a breaks sample CD, like escape from the planet of the breaks.

In terms of constructing your breaks rythym, try constructing a normal rythym you are happy with, and then try either pushing one trigger note forward or backward by half a bar. Anticipation and surprise in rythym makes things much funkier.

For sound. Try sticking things through a really pumping nasty compressor. If it has a saturation control so much the better. Try Blockfish from K-V-R vst site. It's free and gooooooood. Tube distortion can give it that old school feel. A reverb set on a drum booth setting can make things sound much more 'realistic', try the 'Ambience' plug-in. Again freeware, and knocks the spots of most things out there.

Use grace notes. Make them a different volume to main hits. DON'T rigidly quantise everything. Or if you program them on a grid, turn quantise off after your basic rythym is in, and push or pull things ever so slightly out of time.

P'raps I should follow my own advice at some point! :P

It is much easier said than done - Good Luck!

5. norty303

norty303 Member (Todger)

Threads:
    It's weird, I don't intentionally lay out my tune, I just work on a bit and if I like it copy the next 16/32 bars of bass/kick/perc and add a new bit and if I like it then the same again, etc, etc. So you're hearing my different moods and ideas evolving as I came up with them. What I'll do next is go back and slide stuff around, remove bits, really work on the structure so it builds and lifts and tweak sounds/levels in the process.

My ultimate is to be able to program the sparse and eminently funky/groovy percussion off all the tracks on Out of Sight by Shakta, just a bloody genius if you ask me....

Ghost notes and judicious use of delay is the next trial.....

6. Speakafreaka

Speakafreaka Champagne Rouletter

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (norty303 @ Apr 7 2004, 05:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> My ultimate is to be able to program the sparse and eminently funky/groovy percussion off all the tracks on Out of Sight by Shakta, just a bloody genius if you ask me....

[/quote:45750c6403]
    :dito:

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice