Progressive Trance...

Aphasia

oh go on then
...Where does it progress to?!

I was wiggling to Ticon on friday night with a baby chair stuck to my back (for some reason)...and i suddenly got confused...where does it progress to?

...and more importantly....is this important?

trancetheory

♥♪♫
I cant stand that progressive trance is called progressive trance for excatly that reason!!! pffft

Whenever I heard the name progressive trance, I assumed that it ment the trance progressed thru the night, ie diffrent styles, like taking you on a journey.......but nope, it turned out to be slowed down trance with even longer breakdowns

TBH I think progressive psy just sounds like house.......but dont tell anyone I said that :irolleyes

Still love it tho :wub:

eskatonia

pixel wallah
here is something I posted to australiens a while ago about progressive...

"I must admit when I first heard "progressive" psy it seemed pretty flat and boring
compared to the full on melodic stuff that I liked.

progressive is just very very sneaky, it worms inside your mind and keeps building, flowing, smoothly just nudges you gently along on it's trip qnd gradually eases you into it's hypnotic groove. I would have to call it disco psytrance.

while full on, just slaps you about the face and says "here I am, a roaring maelstrom of chaotic energy".

maybe that makes it all clear...

zeromonkey

Monkey
Progressive isn't meant to get anywhere. that's why it's called progressive, because it continuously progresses, if it had a climax or plateau it wouldn't be progressing anymore.

Prog usually employs musical techniques such as hemiolas in the drum beats etc to give the impression of a build up or progression when it actually stays at the same tempo - very cleve stuff if you ask me. It's like putting a grey square on a black backgruond, then ona white one and it will suddenly look darker, but it's actually still the same grey square, except this is for music.

I've been getting into prog a bit more since the summer, I used to hate it before and i still don't know anything about it, I just love the musical structure it has, so I'm still exploring diferent artists. Ticon is my fav so far.

Aphasia

oh go on then
dont get me wrong i do love it...especailly when its really good ...i basically just need to calm down a bit when going to progressive nights and stop expecting the progressivity to progress to a peak of progressive purity! :bananada:

zeromonkey

Monkey
Aphasia said:
dont get me wrong i do love it...especailly when its really good ...i basically just need to calm down a bit when going to progressive nights and stop expecting the progressivity to progress to a peak of progressive purity! :bananada:

Aye!....that's why i hated it for so long.

Goz

Psy-Richard
Staff member
Forum Supporter
miszt said:
TBH I think progressive psy just sounds like house.......but dont tell anyone I said that :irolleyes

Some does ... there is a lot out there that doesn't ...

Have to agree, though, i like house but sometimes a nice bit of the darker side of prog is rather nice :Grin:

crisps

Senior Member (discounted rates)
progressive :wub:

its sexy!! its groooovey and i sure do love the stuff!!

*listening to cloudbreaks cd1 right now :iwink: *

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Proggy material makes for great warm material up IMO.

I've been playing the slower bum wiggling stuff for years in opening sets.

I tend to like tracks where prog and psy meet. I like to have enough space to be able to hear reverbs and more subtle effects. Not easy when you have 16 unisoned leads all competing for space!

:Wink3:

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Another thread about music in GD, *wonders if it should be moved to music discussion* :Grin:

Nanook

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Full Lotus said:
Another thread about music in GD, *wonders if it should be moved to music discussion* :Grin:

yup....

but while its here...
i hate peeps ALWAYS trying to categorize everything... all the fucking time...
To me there is music.... i dont even label my cds really ... sometimes ill put the artist name on em but rarelly album titles and tracks and VERY rarelly record labels. If some one asks whats this?.... they are likelly to get 'Trance' as an answer.
<rant over>....
but in answer to the original question in post 1... prog progresses your headspace <for me anyway>... n no its not important.
N

"progressive" has become a meaningless term today.
I always thought it was called progressive becuase it wasn't full on...ie it has progressed as a genre and is doing slighty left of centre stuff with the well known psy elements.

Of course "progressive trance" to the mainstream menas acts like Oakenfold and BT....

I find most proggy psy really housey too..but i too love house music. Even pumping non prog funky house.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
cameron-NSE/Mood Deluxe said:
...but i too love house music. Even pumping non prog funky house.

Part One of : You know you've spent too long Stateside when...

:Grin:

J.