Project Ideas...

Marc

Scratchadelica
Reaction score
Im coming to the end of my sound design msc and now have 4 months to spend on a project of my choosing ! If anyone has any ideas or especially anything that could be of use I'd be really happy to hear about it ! I can do anything from developing technology and software [maxMSP, perhaps write vsts/plugins, etc etc], sound for picture [animations, films...], live installation/performance, recording, production, research ... basically you name it and I can probably wangle it !

Anyway Im kind of lost for where to best target myself for the next few months so if theres something soundwise you think needs making or any projects people want to collaborate on or even random stoner ideas I can go implements that'd be ace !

peace,
marc

My top tip:

synasthesiae.

Investigate what is and isn't synathetic, and why. Wether this is universal for all synasthetics, and if it is, what does this say about the nature of Sound and the nature of the listener. Does the intermingling of the senses allow for greater sensory transference throught the medium of sound? Could there be such a thing as synasthetic art? Would it be possible to qualify it as good or bad?

:Smile3:

I am not a synasthete by the way, just a curious bystander.

dude im in the same situation i got jsut over 2 weeks to come up with an idea for my projects and finish them as well (actually 2 ideas for 2 projects) and have no clue :sad:

1) gotta use the Atom chip along with max/msp to create some sort of a midi gadget that i can either use in an installation or just as a new invention

2) discuss any sound phenomena in a long essay (was thinking about the mc gurk effect but then i couldnt produce enough information to discuss so i kind of gave up)

man im desperate :sad:

hmm im still racking my brain... synasthetics is definitely interesting - although my course organiser might not be too impressed with me neckin a load of psychedelics for the summer and then be forced to sit through 10k words of my revelations :Wink3:

The circuit bending thing is an interesting idea.. although how you'd actually go about doing it is another thing ... presumably to do it properly you'd want a circuit simulator like spice in your vst with the schematic for the speak and spell or contraption of choice... hmm dunno how do-able that wd be on the cpu front it cd be interesting tho !

hey Shamaran - whats the deal with the atom chip btw - is that an old acorn thing or something ?

peace,
m

im not too sure really, we use it to make midi interfaces, its programmable runs on basic and very simple to use i just cant come up with an idea to make something out of it that hasnt already been done pffffff 1 week to go and still nothing :sad:

force it to only 16th pattern@145bpm and compile vb1 into it. then call it "trance master 2005 killer vst". you finish your project + you get rich on the sales. win/win.

ok i have an idea.. im on my year out of uni at the mo and i was quite good at max, im probaby shit now cus i forget eveything.

Anyway, is there a way you can use max and the internet. Like setup a gui that can be accessable on a webpage? Um not sure how limited max is, maybe you can get a plugin that makes it html friendy.

Just an idea. if it was me id defo look in to this. I bet you learnt a bit of web design at uni . I did.

If not is there a way u can use max with another outboard object, or a piece of sofware. OR get shit hot at jitter. The professors love that teck shit.

Just a few ideas mate!

paradice said:
Anyway, is there a way you can use max and the internet. Like setup a gui that can be accessable on a webpage? Um not sure how limited max is, maybe you can get a plugin that makes it html friendy.

Ive used an external that lets us bust udp communication for an installation so the internet stuff is do-able - theres also the java externals so I think its probs possible to write swing gui's [although I think u can do some random gui stuff with jscript too]. I did consider using this stuff for my proh a while ago - but couldnt come up with any purpose that really set me alight.

Its looking like the best idea I have so far is to write a VST that emulates turntablism - you could load in one or more samples and have it scratch them triggered by midi in time with the bpm of the track. It would have to have a library/db of 'gestures' and styles [so different manouvers/movements etc] .. cd potentially combine them in time with some algorithmics as well.

I think this cd be useful for folk wanting to stick crazy scratchin in their tunes but without decks/scratchy skills- wd also be quite good for mangling sounds in general I think. Any comments wd be appreciated ? I think it sounds like hard work but it cd potentially be quite funky if i can pull it off ! Id probs prototype it in max first and then try and port the bugger to c++ ... hmm should keep me out of trouble for the netx few months anyhoo....

shamaran : you had any joy with any solid ideas yet mate ?

peace,
m

VB1? *retch*

Is that oily heap of shite in common usage in trance then?

Ott, you're clearly to wise to read the "Equipment and music creation " section on isra-trance

this is the first post on the "mother of all bass line threads...

"Ok ppl, you wanted, you got it.
All your answers and all your questions on the infamous bassline dilemma will go here.
Let's start with the obvious. What do you use for bassline?
My answer is: VB-1"

cant really comment myself cos...i know nothing

cameron-nagualsound said:
that is a sick idea!! need any beta testers?

Fo sure ! U might have to hang a bit but Ive been doing some research and I think I can have a pluggable test protoype built using max within a reasonable timeframe. Not sure what the perfromance of that wd be like and how easy its gonna be to go from max prototype to a nicely efficient wrapped up c++ badbwoi but watch this space !

peace,
m

Back