psy bass lines

dirt_rock

Junior Members
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Ive been playing around with reason 4 about 3 years and have never really cracked the code 4 a really fat sounding Psy bass line. Ive got the pattern down, just cant quite get the sound. Ive used subtractors and nn19, but it never seems to have the same thickness of pro released track. Is it the sounds im using? or is it just me?
 

Raw Antiks

Junior Members
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Bristol
Its virtually impossible to make a really professional sound in reason. The best way i find for making tunes sound fatter is to export loops as wav files and then put them into something like logic, then use the massively superior compression and eq's that it has available to boost your sounds.
Hope this helps.
 

Wee Waw

SoLow
Messages
101
Reaction score
1
Location
London
You might also want to try cutting them in acid pro. I love that program.

What I do is fiddle for aaaaaaagggggggesssss in a synth (I like fruity loops TS404) program until I love the bass sound. I then export just a single, long bass note that I want to use for the bassline in wav format. Then I open up the sound in Acid pro. I can then cut it up as much as I want, adjust the attack and decay on a molecular level, use effects, use dynamic filters, change the pitch.. loads!!
 

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Messages
7,469
Reaction score
328
Location
Straight outta muthaf***ing Surbiton
Raw Antiks said:
Its virtually impossible to make a really professional sound in reason.

There are a couple of 'Pro' reason users on this very site who I think would disagree with you on that point...
 

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Messages
9,075
Reaction score
286
Location
London SE19
Aye - as I understand it, the 'Smoked Glass And Chrome' bassline started life in Subtractor, so easy on the knocking of it. :Wink3:

I think that one of the reasons that Reason gets short shrift is the fairly awful drum libraries that are shipped as part of the factory sound bank (or at any rate were in versions 1 and 2), along with presets that don't make the most out of the supplied synths.

J.
 

dogcow

SMOKER
Messages
663
Reaction score
0
Location
Vienna
the FAQ thread needs one of these "how to make bassline/kick" threads. it also needs to be unlocked so people can write suggestions/comments/tips into it. like on a forum, ya know :Wink3:
 

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Messages
5,136
Reaction score
47
Location
London
Wee Waw said:
You might also want to try cutting them in acid pro. I love that program.

What I do is fiddle for aaaaaaagggggggesssss in a synth (I like fruity loops TS404) program until I love the bass sound. I then export just a single, long bass note that I want to use for the bassline in wav format. Then I open up the sound in Acid pro. I can then cut it up as much as I want, adjust the attack and decay on a molecular level, use effects, use dynamic filters, change the pitch.. loads!!
sorry to knock your comment, but having done similar things using primarily Fruity Loops and Acid Pro about 4 years ago, i feel i can knowledgably say that it is worth just skipping them... Acid Pro really does suck, unless you want to just work with loops and dont care too much about good plug-ins and production values. Fruity Loops, whatever people rant at me, is also gonna limit you.
for two years i used the afforementioned programs, persistent that i was happy with the results and they provided me with no boundaries on making music. then a friend of mine got me on cubase sx and i have never looked back... if you want to make serious music then Reason is the least you need IMHO.
 

Faction

Proto-col
Messages
21,787
Reaction score
973
Location
Bristol
dogcow said:
the FAQ thread needs one of these "how to make bassline/kick" threads. it also needs to be unlocked so people can write suggestions/comments/tips into it. like on a forum, ya know :Wink3:

If you want to see a "how to make a bassline/kick" thread in the FAQ, start one! Then if it contains enough useful information to serve as a reference for other people, PM one of the mods (probably me) and ask us to add it to the FAQ.
 

silky

meh...
Messages
353
Reaction score
0
Location
Dartford
sod all that, get a BassStation, they're dirt cheap nowadays and, if you have too, sample it and run it thru a compressor

software synths dont come close even after you've sampled it from the bs
 

whitedog

Lunar SeeD
Messages
6,909
Reaction score
506
Location
..somewhere on the time coast...
Fromem_Ory said:
sorry to knock your comment, but having done similar things using primarily Fruity Loops and Acid Pro about 4 years ago, i feel i can knowledgably say that it is worth just skipping them... Acid Pro really does suck, unless you want to just work with loops and dont care too much about good plug-ins and production values. Fruity Loops, whatever people rant at me, is also gonna limit you.
for two years i used the afforementioned programs, persistent that i was happy with the results and they provided me with no boundaries on making music. then a friend of mine got me on cubase sx and i have never looked back... if you want to make serious music then Reason is the least you need IMHO.

It must be pointed out. once again, that the current FL Studio is not, and should not be compared with, the FruityLoops of a few years ago...
 

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Messages
9,058
Reaction score
336
Location
Fell asleep on Beula's porch
Hmm. I'd agree with everything that Fromem_Ory said, and that is also precisely how I started writing music. Had a 200Mhz Pentium, which could barely run one instance of TS404. Fruity has come on loads, and I still use it for coming up with one shot noises and ideas I'm probably not going to revisit. It is great for coming up with snippets.

I feel that being tied into patterns becomes ever more limiting, time consuming and complicated as a tracks complexity increases. I have major reservations about the mixdown quality of all iterations of FL/Fruity Loops - as far as I'm aware it hasn't changed much. Quite simply, tracks tend to sound different to what I monitored within the programme. If I had to define the nature of the sound, the word I would choose would be... asthmatic. I wish Steinberg would take a close look at how much better the FX channels (particularly the sends) are in FL. Some Native instrument plugins don't work correctly in FL.

I would like to reiterate, I use both FL and Cubase all the time. I sequence and mix in Cubase, because invariably, I get better results. I cook up sound nuggets in FL, because invariably, I get better results.

[/rant]
 

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Messages
9,075
Reaction score
286
Location
London SE19
silky said:
sod all that, get a BassStation, they're dirt cheap nowadays and, if you have too, sample it and run it thru a compressor

software synths dont come close even after you've sampled it from the bs

Seriously dude - there ain't nowt that can come form the hardware BassStation that the software one can't match.

Unless what you're recording is clipping. In which case you really don't want it to match, unless you've got a Studer tape machine hidden away...

J.
 

silky

meh...
Messages
353
Reaction score
0
Location
Dartford
id agree if i was talking about a digital synth like my QSR or something, but the BS sounds warmer and richer than anything ive heard from the 'puter. the way the filter cut off and resonance just dont effect each other the same way as when a softsynth emulates.

dont really wanna start a digital vs analogue debait, i use softsynths all the time, dont get me wrong, they sound great, specially things like the WASP plugin for FLstudio etc. but you have to own at least ONE proper synth!
 

dirt_rock

Junior Members
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Yeah Cubase is deffinetly the way 2 go but...U gotta get it working, this program is a monster. My processing power just cant handel it and reason rewired. Also its very fkn hard to just get simple stuff to happen like bussing effects to indevidual channels. I know reason is limited but i just figured that there would be something too emulate that classic psy bass sound. Ive tried combinators...nice phat sounding samples with dirty sounding analog, not quite there yet but close. Examples of sounds on Album im going for are Black and White-frame by frame, that real Isreaily sound.
Least you guys are thinken. Posted same thing on aussie site got nothing!
 
Messages
2,724
Reaction score
6
Location
Brighton
firstly i hate Reason , but saying you cant make a pro sounding track with it is simply not true...although the program is nowhere near SX or Logic it is very possible to make do....

back on topic...if im correct you've got the rythm/pattern down but your struggling with tone and voice....for a standard psy bass sound there is a formula and if you apply these basic synthesis principles you should be rockin...

any subtractive synth will be fine but for extra quick results a 303 emulator works wonders-Audio Realsim Bassline, Trituim, CM 303, Muon.....

with a 303 style synth
*you need the right key and octave
*use a sawtooth
*close the filter fully or almost fully
*no Res or very small amounts
*filter envelpoe as follows: no decay, with maximum filter depth.

the filter envelope is the key.....

hope that helps
 
M

makdaddy

Guest
silky said:
....but you have to own at least ONE proper synth!

err.....why? and how do you define "proper synth" ? cos the nords and the virus's etc, etc. analog modelling etc...are all just dsp's under a hood anyways
 

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Messages
9,058
Reaction score
336
Location
Fell asleep on Beula's porch
I wouldn't be surprised if the BS lessens resonance as the filter cutoff is reduced. I don't know for sure, but certainly the lead designer of the BS was Chris Hugget, who also designed the OSCar which certainly does do this (and the Wasp for those that care) - Try out the demo of the software emulation and see if it does what you want >>>CLICK <<<
 

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Messages
9,075
Reaction score
286
Location
London SE19
imak said:
err.....why? and how do you define "proper synth" ? cos the nords and the virus's etc, etc. analog modelling etc...are all just dsp's under a hood anyways

And the Novations - even the BassStation's analogue oscillators were digitally controlled.

SoundOnSound said:
On the subject of oscillators, the BassStation's are not true VCOs (Voltage Controlled Oscillators) in the Pro One sense, but are in fact based on digitally-synchronised, analogue ramp generators from which are derived the sawtooth and pulse waves. This reduces dither and instability considerably when compared to a traditional VCO, though some purists may feel that a degree of instability is part of the character of a true analogue synth. Whatever the technicalities, I don't feel the BassStation has quite the same 'warmth' as my Pro One, but then again, I'd prefer to stay in tune any day of the week!

The only thing you can get from an external synth is more gain IMO - if your softsynths sound inferior, it's 'cos your soundcard isn't all that. Like it or not, pretty much the only justification for external synths is the kudos in owning a box with lots of knobs on that you can go willy-wave with... :Wink3:

J.
 

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Messages
7,469
Reaction score
328
Location
Straight outta muthaf***ing Surbiton
JPsychodelicacy said:
And the Novations - even the BassStation's analogue oscillators were digitally controlled.

The only thing you can get from an external synth is more gain IMO - if your softsynths sound inferior, it's 'cos your soundcard isn't all that. Like it or not, pretty much the only justification for external synths is the kudos in owning a box with lots of knobs on that you can go willy-wave with... :Wink3:

J.


I had a couple of basstations and they were the worse sounding synths I ever owned. The oscillators were weak and the envelopes were flabby...the filter was whistly and thin and they were absolutely useless for bass...
The years later I got the VST version...and it was just as bad! :ilol:

Hardware just collects dust. Wanna buy some? I've sold most of it but theres still a behringer desk, microwaveXT and one of the horrible basstations still in a box somewhere.
 
Top