Psy Tekk - Good Purpose

damion

Pound Shop Alex Petridis
Reaction score
what in tintern abbey are you talking about?
Psy-Tekk
Good Purpose
USTA

Every so often an album comes along that staggers you with its brilliance, with its inventiveness, with the sheer way it pisses all over the formulaic nonsense that permeates the trance scene like a fart in the chillout. In between these amazing slices of the psytran ce pie, you get shit like this: braindead trance-u-like with cold, cardboard fries on the side and a milkshake that's piss weak. Sonic Pulse goes straight in with full power melodic trance nonsense, Sub Conscious plays the same f*ing sample three times so that by the third you're screaming for mercy and want to do something more pleasant, like clean the toilet or pull your own teeth. The Magic Dream starts great -- amazing noises in the introduction, and there's a nice early section where the trance is proper trance ™ with a deep hypnotic hook that sucks you right in. It's a pity then, when much like premature ejaculation (come on, we've all been there) (well mainly the boys i suppose), Psy Texx shoots his wad all over his Cubase, and makes lots of things all go off at once in a noisy and embarassing display that can only be described as 'get that f*ing cat off the nord.' Good Purpose (pah! my arse!) is actually okay as tunes go, he's going for a darker sound here which m eans less spunking over the final cut. Dynamic Reality takes a sample from Vanilla Sky, plays it at the beginning of a silly trance tune, then in the middle, and f*ck me jolly well ragged it's at the end as well. Latinos sounds like a less-good Wizzy Noise, and The Phone Call is once again massively overblown. You sort of want to take Psy Tekk into a corner, give him ritalin, tell him to chill the f*k out and then maybe let him back into the studio if he's lucky. Reviewer's nightmare, as the closing track is called 'Closing The...', which will make my sentence scan extremely badly. And the name's f*ing daft in itself, but let's not be picky. Anyway, closing track Closing The.. (see what I mean) is a prime example of psytrance by numbers, one of those lovely tunes that you can predict exactly what's going to f*ing happen and ooh what a f*ing surprise it has indeed f*ing happened. F*ing f*ing. Sigh. Only his remix of Beat Hackers' System Error does the business, and whi le it's massive in the same way as all the other tunes on this frisbee, the timing in this case is perfect which I guess goes to prove that an infinite number of israeli's writing an infinite number of tunes will eventually stumble on something halfway f*ing decent. My (sensible) point being, that if PsyTekk could just control himself a little better, this would be one whole lot better... but it would still sound like Yahel.

ONE GLASS OF SOYA MILK AND A VEGAN FLAPJACK MADE ENTIRELY OF COW

--damion--

he eh eh ehe h !!! :lol1:

<runs out to buy it> :no:

nice one though - tell it like you hear it !!!

Cheese was oozing from this release must say i used to be but slowly starting to dislike the common israel sound :Sad:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goagabba @ Apr 1 2004, 03:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Aaahahaa, that's the best review I've ever read! :lol1: [/quote:4bcda1f243]
heheh a man of few word u see :baa:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Review totally blows off the music at hand!

What's been reviewed again?? :lol1:

Nice review mate, you work for the Observer???? :lol1: Not too sure 'bout this one as i've only heard samples but you made me larf :Wink3:

Back