psy track

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
This is the same track I posted a few weeks ago, but I've made quite a few changes, so hopefully it's a bit better. I'd realy appreciate any more opinions, advice or criticisms that anyone has on it :ismile: Cheers!

It's the one called the 25th Extract kaboom :ph34r:

I heard it before and it has definetly improved, but it has got quite a gritty feel though init!! I like the stabby acid line in the first third! is it 100% software based??

Cheers for listening! It's just the software bundled with Logic express and the free Zoid softsynth. The mix is still not as clear as I'd like though...that's maybe wot the gritty sound is...

Great one jibberer
You have found the right balance of musical parts bieng played at once and the all fit and progress really well. Got a bit of automation or lfo/filter movement there-cool. Kick has a nice punch to it too. I dont think the grittyness stated is to do with production, its the dark menacing rythems+riffs in there. :icool:

Thanks for listening again jack rabbit! Do you reckon I could get away with playing it when I dj, or is it not quite there yet?

Try it at home and record the mix to see how it sounds. Its normally the polished sheen that you will get from pro mastering that will be noticably missed. Do you run a limiter on finished mix or anything else?

I just stick it through a limiter with about 2db of gain reduction to get the volume as high as possible and smooth out the worst of the peaks.. I guess it was a bit of a silly question realy, I need to play it on a rig I suppose, and like you said compare it to other tracks in the context of a mix. I think I'm just trying to find out what level my production is at. It's very easy to think you are better than you realy are I think, especialy when you play it to friends, and they tell you it's amazing (just because their mate made it!) It's difficult to get objective opinions!

jibberer said:
I think I'm just trying to find out what level my production is at. It's very easy to think you are better than you realy are I think, especialy when you play it to friends, and they tell you it's amazing (just because their mate made it!) It's difficult to get objective opinions!

We are both in the same boat there. I stopped playing my tunes to my friends ages ago. I have learnt' a lot from this place though, I might of even given up on the music if I havn't found this place.
I guess the people that listen to our tunes and dont coment are the ones that know what thair doing and dont want to appear too critical :iwink:

First impression - Nice feeling of inner space. Great crunchy sounds at the beginning. Bass sounds to squashed for my taste and the kick sounds really quiet. The synth work is pleasantly twisted and exotic. Crunchy and scratchy noise all very good! Good rhthm. Not sure I like the 303.

Turn up the bass and Kick and work on them loads (compression/ EQ, etc) and this'll be great! :iyes:

Cheers for listening Zen Cat! I understand what compression is, but I think my ears are still trying to learn to hear what it's doing, especially after I've been sitting there for a few hours! Like you said I think I use a bit too much on the bass and it sounds too squashed. I'll have another shot at tweaking the kick and bass. 303 sound is a bit unoriginal, but it's the first time I've used it, honest, (although I do like that sound a lot:ph34r: ) Thanks again!:ismile:

Back