Psytrance Synths??

Tophoo

Forum Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Dude,

i think sylenth 1 is also a really nice synth although it`s really common and often used in EDM and Pop productions.
Mostly i use it for tight pluck sounds and fat lead sounds but you can also create nice basses with it.

To sum it up: Sylenth is good for short and simple one shot sounds and big lead sounds but you can`t create more complex sounds like moving pads or atmospheres.

For complex sounds i prefer to use Massive.

You also may like Podolski from U-HE, it´s a really nice synth you can use for bright and interesting filtered sounds -> give it a try, it´s FREE :Smile3:

Hope this has helped a little and that you can handle my not native speaking english skills :Wink3:

DM40

The Korendians of Korendor
Reaction score
Whatever you get, remember that it is worthless if you cannot program it. I'm sure you know that already though. I have seen "bands" using Access Virus synths and they somehow made them sound like flat garbage.

I'm thinking of getting Serum. Sounds good, but I still haven't heard a soft synth that can synthesize heavier bass than an analog synth. Also, I always like to see if I like the filter or not.

knottyolly

Forum Member
Reaction score
I mostly use my Nord Rack 2x, Sylenth and Zebra, and my Minibrute has made some sweet sounds for a recent psy tune as well!

DM40

Reaction score
I've looked at demos of cheaper analog synths - my favorite based purely on that was the Mono Lancet.

Andy McBain

Lurker
Reaction score
I have seen "bands" using Access Virus synths and they somehow made them sound like flat garbage.

Arguably they do sound like flat garbage if you're just going from the initial patch! The raw oscillators are a bit thin sounding I reckon. A filter, a few modulations and a bit of analogue boost later though and they sharp come to life - and sit in a mix with little effort.

VST wise - I'm loving Synthmaster again - it's cheap, there's very little it can't do and it sounds marvellous :Smile3:

DM40

Reaction score
It's all in the filter for me, esp w psytrance and full-on. I can confidently create any sound I wish w Synth1--I'd love to switch to a real analog for bass though.

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
It's all in the filter for me, esp w psytrance and full-on. I can confidently create any sound I wish w Synth1--I'd love to switch to a real analog for bass though.
Would have to be a synth with phase lock. I think the moog minitar has phase lock...they call it Note Sync

DM40

Reaction score
Yeah I'd love to get a serious analog workhorse. I've gotten good at understanding synthesis and synth programming.

I like this guy for a good psytrance bass--I'm thinking of getting one.

Time Traveller

Forum Member
Reaction score
I use Bazille for most things. Also Phoscoyn, Synth 1, Retrologue and HELM. Mostly I use just Bazille or Retrologue. What I miss is FM8 which I need to buy at some point. I also miss a 64bit version of Albino.

AlphaRoll

Forum Member
Reaction score
Im interested to find out what are the best synths for psytrance.

I currently use; Vanguard, Rapture, rob papens synths, Massive.
Im thinking about buying the Novation MiniNova for the vocoder mainly.

So what are your favorite synths and for what do you use them synths to create?

Thanks

Cyberian

Forum Member
Reaction score
Forget about software synths until you learn on hardware synth. So much easier and better to tweak a real pot than to tweak a "virtual" pot with a mouse. My Ti2 Darkstar made me forget about SW synths for good tbh.:Good:

KulshanStudios

Forum Newbie
Reaction score
In case anyone stumbles across this forum now, these are synths I'd recommend for psytrance, because there's full soundbanks available for them that fit the psy bill

Mininova, Nord Lead 3, JP8080, Slim Phatty, Sub37, Microkorg XL, Blofeld... any will do

Shucks, TI2 as well - or a Virus C. Even a Prophet Rev2 will work

The VA poly synths will do pads and supersaw and crazy FM style leads well. The analog monos and polys can do basses, acid sounds, squishy noises, and distorted sounds super well - and fat ripping raw leads. More or less boils down to what you want your tunes to sound like

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
Even a Prophet 5 rev 2 will do? My heart goes out to all the rev 3 owners. 😭

Last edited:

Nanook

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I'd love to get a serious analog workhorse. I've gotten good at understanding synthesis and synth programming.

I like this guy for a good psytrance bass--I'm thinking of getting one.

Wow... That sounds phat.

Nanook

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Whilst Im here... I'm really enjoying researching the (kinda) new Behringer stuff.
Pretty sure a few of their bits are on my horizon, when I've finished this latest house buy/move/etc

Nanook

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Crave sounds the nuts too ..