Psytrance Synths??

Penguin84

Forum Member
Reaction score
Im interested to find out what are the best synths for psytrance.

I currently use; Vanguard, Rapture, rob papens synths, Massive.
Im thinking about buying the Novation MiniNova for the vocoder mainly.

So what are your favorite synths and for what do you use them synths to create?

Thanks

Hi there,

I am not a pro and I am also still learning... I think any synth could be nice fit, it only depends on how much time do you invested in your ones.

Anyway, here's my list:

Intelligent Sounds and Music - BazzISM2 - For Basket ball and zap kicks, it looks crap, but one of the cleanest sounding kick generators... And only 30 euros...

Native Instruments - Massive - Saw Basslines, all sorts of leads leads, fx-es.

Synapse Dune CM - First of all it was free, it's came with my Computer Music magazine (£6.25 as you wish), the fx section is locked in this version, but it's as powerful as Sylenth1... Basically it's good for everything like Massive.
I really like the unison voice solo, sounds stupid, I know but definitely unique to this synth... There are some hidden features, like oscillator phase, which is important for edgy and bass sounds... It's worth to check the modulation section's targets, some params are not on the front panel...

Access Virus Ti2 - Lot of people think this is too expensive... Which is true, but this is my audio interface (...better than some expensive soundcards), midi controller and hardware synth at the same time. It requires a special workflow (more on this here). But I found the virus workflow much more achievement centric... The TI Snow version is much cheaper, it's not rare for £400-500 on e-bay... And this synth is a good standard, just few biggies how using it: Electric Universe, Space Tribe, E-Clip, Astrix. But it's not the holy grail, you need to know how to work with the sound on this as well.

xfer Serum is like Massive, the only difference is that you can build your custom wavetables, and it also has a built in efx rack which is better than massive, and you need to hear it, but in my opinion it sounds cleaner... If you already own massive it's not your priority, only if you clearly unsatisfied with massive's sound engine.

On the other hand, I think you have more than good enough synths on your list... I would rather focus on the efx section, nice delays, good reverbs, transient shapers, different distortions, wide range of compressors, different eqs etc. Basically the post processing. I found that most of the sounds can be derived form the 3-4 basic waveforms (saw-square-sine-triangle), it depends on how you shape it. It doesn't really count what's the source, you just need to know how you should shape it for the desired outcome.

You can create really nice sounds with nearly any DAW's built in instruments as well (Just have a look Tom Cosm's early tutorials... or the Pyramid - Elite Session with Mumbali ). First you need to know what would you like to do, and how to build those up with your synths... It's much more experimental. Listen to your favourites, try to find the essence in their track, build it in your own way. After a while it turns out what works best for you... There's no such a thing like good synth for psytrance, you shape the sounds psychedelic... But check this, here's few ideas: http://tutorials.psilocybian.com/free-stuff/ , try to create these with your own synths. It helps you understand more synthesis.

I hope it's been helpful...

Last edited:
triptone said some great stuff, and tom cosm has some great tuts if you use ableton

you can get novations basstation vsti for free aswell, synth-1 is great to learn on

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, i will take on board what you have said. Thanks alot

I would suggest cheking in
Spire
Zebra
Serum
Dune
DAWs in build synth also develope some great sounds.

surely this can easily just be a list of synths?

isn't the answer "any synth"?

Yes any synth. I would gravitate toward a subtractive synths manly but FM has it's own unique flavours to add. Operator is still one of the most versatile all round synths going. it's pretty much the only softsynth I use.

I make Foresty Psy-Trance. I've been using Serum as the workhorse for almost all my sounds. (Leads, FX, Bass) Personally, I think it's better than Massive in terms of usability and ease. It can do both subtractive and FM synthesis which Massive can't do (as far as I know). I used Massive as my workhorse before I got Serum, but ever since then it's been collecting e-dust.

That being said, most of the sounds you hear in Psy-Trance are pretty basic Saw waves. So as far as synths go, I think most are able to make the sounds you're looking for. For me, it all comes down to ease-of-use, as I can't really hear the difference between two different synths anyway.

That being said, most of the sounds you hear in Psy-Trance are pretty basic Saw waves. So as far as synths go, I think most are able to make the sounds you're looking for.

What he said. If you use the search function of this forum with terms like "saw wave", "pitch envelope", "FM", "Nord", "Synth1" and "Discovery" in any combination, you should be able to find a lot of useful information on how to make the fundamental sounds.

J.

There no short answer IMO.

I'm not a Pro, have been building my kit for a long time very slowly & only recently in a place where I can afford to got some really nice toys...

There's a few questions that can help narrow things down.
As previously stated, there is no 'the one'. Fast envelops are a must.
Q - How much do you want to spend?
Q - Hardware or Software preference?
Next, this is more my philosophy when approaching this question about what to buy next - what gaps do you have, or what do you want to strengthen? As I don't want to waste money, each purchase should offer something new or fit into your path.

Software I can recommend (some have also been posted):
Serum
Spire
Hive (the new Sylenth1 IMO)
Falcon (best I haven't had time to start learning)
Roland SH101 & 102 VSTs
Iris2 - hasn't grown on me - like Falcon, a beast.

Hardware
Nord Lead - I got mine to fill FM gap & general purpose VA. If I didn't get the NL4 at a good price, I would have want for Analog4 KB.
Moog Sub37 - Bass, lead. That Moog sound... I'd legally adopt it if I could.
Pro-2 - programing, modulation. I kept if at it has the dual filter and sequencer is a bonus.
Pulse 2 is great
Streichfett - this little box floats my boat so much - these a few sweet spots in there I cant get enough of.
MiniBrute
Dreadbox & DSI OB6 on my wish list.

I want Access to bring out something new.

For cheap FM, wait for the Korg Volca FM, its cheap & can load DX7 patches
Also if budget is issue. check out the Korg Minilogue.

Good Luck

Hi,

I used alot of virus ti 2 kb sound in my latest psy album called electrovni and the revolutions - you can get an idea of the power of the virus sound there
:Wink3:

Am looking for a new toy myself to add to my current live set or even as a standalone unit that would do most of the stuff. Also was looking at either a moog, nord lead 4, elektron drum machine Rytm or a Analog 4 or Octotrack, or maybe go with another TI2, but most probably would go with one of the elektron machines, dunno which one to pick yet... The Rytm sounds dope and also got multiple audio outputs which is nice

Hi,

I used alot of virus ti 2 kb sound in my latest psy album called electrovni and the revolutions - you can get an idea of the power of the virus sound there
:Wink3:

Am looking for a new toy myself to add to my current live set or even as a standalone unit that would do most of the stuff. Also was looking at either a moog, nord lead 4, elektron drum machine Rytm or a Analog 4 or Octotrack, or maybe go with another TI2, but most probably would go with one of the elektron machines, dunno which one to pick yet... The Rytm sounds dope and also got multiple audio outputs which is nice

I go through phases of neglecting my Virus C then turning it back on, forgetting just how bloody good it sounds, then getting frustrated by Logic X's external MIDI and turning it back off again. I'll still never sell it though.

As others have said though - just about any synth will do. Everyone has particular favourites and preferences. For psy - you might want to lean towards something with interesting sound mangling possibilities... FM, wave shaping, flexible envelopes or step sequencers, interesting filters etc. Serum ticks most of those boxes :Smile3:

UVI are having a 25% sale today (Fri 13th ish). Falcon is now $260 US. About £180 - which is currently I would suggest the best value synth on the market.

I use the word 'synth' ... not really sure that covers it though. It's that and much much more.

Some synths you can only make psytrance with. If you try and make Hip Hop or Synth pop they burst in to flames. 'which can sound cool'

I own the Xtreme Fx from UVI. I just recently upgraded to use it on my latest OS... the support team is top. Will check in for Falcon as I'm v interested.

My one disappointment is that I can't get at individual samples without resaving them (but the synth has this facility in built, so no big tragedy) - ie I have to preset dive to find what is in an instrument's samples - I got Xtreme Fx, because they threw in a $100 sweetener voucher too. Having a drag and drop granular engine that sounds so great makes it frustrating that I cannot just drag and drop the several thousand samples I've 'purchased' from them into their own synth easily.

In terms of operation it's great globs of kontakt, only with (fantastic) oscillators (think Serum, Massive here), and a great granular engine (stands next to Alchemy), plus the ability to do parallel filtering, easily set up macro knobs, better envelopes and filters, and by and large better effects, more easily configured than Kontakt throughout.

The devil is in getting it to do what you want, and that is challenging, but it's all very logical indeed - topography is much like a workstation synth fundamentally. It's all a bit 'concept' PITA, but it is all there.

Can do the most ethereal pads evah, or just the nastiest, dirtiest, wavetable phase distorted wobble bass imaginable.

So, Serum with more than one polyphonic filter (twats), and granular resynthesis without the ease of use.
Or, Kontakt, but with more everything, synthesis, and marginally more difficult usage.

Do not underestimate the ease of use issues though - there is head scratching at points.

Last edited:
Hello psy producers

I am new in psytrance production. I am searching for some plug-in for begginer for creating psytrance basses for a longer time.

I purchased my first synth called Psytrance Bass X1, link is here: http://www.123creative.com/music-pr...sytrance-bass-x1-vst-basslinesynthesizer.html

Also next synthesizer is interesting for me, I plan to purchase it probably later: http://www.123creative.com/music-pr...le-virtual-analog-synthesizer-fx-samples.html
I like it. Dark Nebula tested this synthesizer :Smile3:

Do you have any experiences with these synths?

Thanks.

Psyflowering

one fm synth
one or two tasty analogues
one va style synth
one digital workstation synth

what about the Korg Legacy collection? Lots of synths in there for a very decent price. Pretty much covers most people's synthesis needs. No FM in there though.

Back