Psytrance track names

spacecadet

Joe Cartoon
Reaction score
How do artists come up with names for psytrance tracks? i mean its not like they have lyrics in izit? :iconfused

joe, there is this thing called "imagination" and you basically take the name of a plant and add "issmic" on the end and then an emotion

ie

"Daisyissmic Glee"

:P

They probably name the tracks whatever the 'cid tells them to!

spacecadet said:
How do artists come up with names for psytrance tracks? i mean its not like they have lyrics in izit? :iconfused
Best. Post. Ever.

They use a special computer program that is sent to them by their record label as soon as they get a track signed.

Essentially it uses an algorithm to determine planetary alignment, and then selects randomly from one of the following categories:

1) Space (advanced options allow you to select "obscure scifi book on/off")
2) Really Cool Places That All Well Travelled Psychedelic Musician/Adventurer Should Visit.
3) A literal desciption of what the track should do to a dancefloor. Usually wrong.
4) Tribal something
5) Drugs

A maintenance release from 2001 introduced a bug which prevented the "Eastern Mysticism" category from displaying.

my tracks always have a working name (usually something like 'titwank2222' or 'shuzzle_14') and then when they're finished i listen to them with a bifta and decide what they mean to me :Smile3:

i have a hard disk full of tracks called "unnamed 1234... " or "jam001" or "beats 144"..etc..etc..and so on and so forth

They use a special computer program that is sent to them by their record label as soon as they get a track signed.

Essentially it uses an algorithm to determine planetary alignment, and then selects randomly from one of the following categories:

1) Space (advanced options allow you to select "obscure scifi book on/off")
2) Really Cool Places That All Well Travelled Psychedelic Musician/Adventurer Should Visit.
3) A literal desciption of what the track should do to a dancefloor. Usually wrong.
4) Tribal something
5) Drugs

A maintenance release from 2001 introduced a bug which prevented the "Eastern Mysticism" category from displaying.

wow, isnt technology amazin. i want 1

Well said joe. I always take the piss whenever I see a real psytrance cd with tracklist on the back (most of the time they're copied, see). Some of the names are really embarassing. Took me a while to work out why some DJ's are so reluctant to give set lists. I even think the name "psytrance" is shit. If there's a sample in the tune that defines it then call the tune something to do with the sample although a lot of psytrance samples are just as cringeworthy as the thought up titles. At least you don't usually have to hear the name of a tune when its playing.

I prefer the techno approach where you either call the tune something really stupid or just the label name followed by a number. e.g. Hydraulix1, Hydraulix2 etc.

Sorry to rant I just think a lot of psy track names are bloody awful and embarassing.

Tulipissmic Boredom

hehe :Grin:

What Andrew said is right...

Personally i like abit of idea behind the random names... for example:
"Pass the Parcel" (VA - Streamline - Nano recs :Wink3: )

Is called that because I knew it was going to be the last track I made before I turned 18, a significant year in one's life... It therefore referrs to the infamous birthday party game in which layers are unwrapped as the music starts and stops... Which i associated with the breaks in the track, and the addition and subtraction of layers within the music...

The sample is also from Alice in Wonderland: "I have an excellent idea... let's change the subject"... Alice in wonderland is a childhood book, which also doubles as a more intellectual, philosophical book when you read it and are older... which also added to the 'rite of passage' kinda idea :Smile3:

Or you can just call a track: "Killer Psychotronismic Substance" :P

EDIT: Yes I know that sounds very pretentious...

Some album names and track names are really cool... The Lone Deranger... How cool is that? Lost and Profound is another favourite.

just the label name followed by a number. e.g. Hydraulix1, Hydraulix2 etc.

definitely. that whole approach is awesome, on some techno records you have NO idea who made the track, which is really refreshing.

as an additional thought i named 3 tracks after people who were musically influential for me :Smile3: as a kind of tribute.

Some of my fav track name are from OTTs Blumenkraft:

Jack's Cheese And Bread Snack
Escape From Tulse Hell
Billy The Kid Strikes Back
A Load Up At Nunney Catch
Spannered In Pilton

Back