RAM speeds, codes n stuff ????

M

makdaddy

one of my pc's memory sticks is a duffer so im down to 512mb, im looking round to replace it but all i see is numbers i dont underestand!!

the one thats good on the pc at the mo is

512mb ddr sdram 266

if i want to get another i know it has to be same speed (266)

but looking around i can get another 1gb for £30 but (an this is where im stumped!) what are all these codes about PC3200, pc2100 etc <-- ????

also does it matter (if there a pair) what speed i put in (is my motherboard restricted up to a certain speed?) i dunno :blink:

aynywhooos, i can get 2 x 512 DDR PC2100 sdram for £30

my motherboard is an MSI 845 Ultra (ms-6398)

hayelp!

theres many a self confessed nerdle on this here board, im sure they'd be happy to help us, c'mon!!!
dunno bout the spotted grease factor tho!
im sure theyre all studdly n buff or...err stunningly beautiful people :p

imak said:
but looking around i can get another 1gb for £30 but (an this is where im stumped!) what are all these codes about PC3200, pc2100 etc <-- ????

aynywhooos, i can get 2 x 512 DDR PC2100 sdram for £30

my motherboard is an MSI 845 Ultra (ms-6398)

hayelp!

from this site --> http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/hardware/motherboards/article.php/10703_975191__5

Main Memory:
Supports four memory banks using three 184-pin DDR DIMM.
Supports up to 2GB PC2100/PC1600 DDR SDRAMs.
Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.

looks like that memory for £30 will work ok :Wink3:

see i knew one of the studly / beautiful nerds would get out of bed n help me!!!

thx eT

but why u move it to classifieds? im not selling anything!!!

ermmmm, didn't seem like a general discussion to me :p

Imak - you might have problems if you're mixing two different sticks - by that I mean identically specced sticks from different manufacturers. I had loads of trouble getting my upgrade to work and in the end I returned my 512mb stick and got a new matched pair. Also had to re-flash my motherboard BIOS to the latest firmware...

PS I don't have spots or think glasses however I do have underdeveloped social skills.

eT said:
ermmmm, didn't seem like a general discussion to me :p

Give it another hour and this thread will be more 'general' than you can stand. Just watch...

yo AC - i was gonna ditch my original stick and replace it with a the new pair anyways. so no worries there man :Smile3:

Continuum said:
Imak - you might have problems if you're mixing two different sticks - by that I mean identically specced sticks from different manufacturers. I had loads of trouble getting my upgrade to work and in the end I returned my 512mb stick and got a new matched pair. Also had to re-flash my motherboard BIOS to the latest firmware...

PS I don't have spots or think glasses however I do have an underdeveloped penis

Give it another hour and this thread will be more 'general' than you can stand. Just watch...

is that what you had in mind? 39 minutes - do i get a prize?

I'm lookin to do the same at the mo and all the numbers and letters were confuzzling me too........looks like I should just replace whats in my machine then....by the way imak was that price from a local shop or on internet?

It's probably best to buy the same type of RAM. You PC may support a higher speed but you don't need it. Follow the link in my previouse e-mail. If you need anything else PM me with your number and i'll ring you.

dave arc-i said:
Originally Posted by Continuum

PS I don't have spots or think glasses however I do have an underdeveloped penis

is that what you had in mind? 39 minutes - do i get a prize?

...and there you have it! this thread mos definately qualifies for a move back to the general discussion forum

Back