Really, really interesting artist interview thing.

[Laughs] I suppose, I'd say, in sort of fairly simplistic terms, I think music is taking over some roles of living in reality. I'd say that it's important for music to be there that gives you a challenge, that rearranges things in your head. It's important for that to exist in a society that doesn't present you with any genuine problems. We're talking about middle class existence. You can get along with your job, and you confront very few problems in life, compared with even what you would have a hundred years ago. The problems of illness, poverty — those sort of problems have been virtually eradicated from the kind of audience that's involved in music and culture, a middle-class kind of bracket. So, music has arrived that replaces those roles, things that aren't pleasant.

[Editor's note: This interview took place in June 2001, well in advance of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the United States.]

what the fuck!!

yeah that's a good interview, thanks for the link. bit of a shame it ends where it does though, he was just getting into full flow. some really interesting ideas inthere - his point of view as a writer and performer differs hugely from the norm (as you might expect from his music...)

roll on glade and another chance to see squarepusher live...

i think he's pretty obtuse to be honest... not very impressed - he does talk a load of bollocks at times..

josh said:
what the fuck!!

exactly what i thought - i mean the middle class lives of americans and britains have changed sooo significantly since 9/11 haven't they? i mean we're all facing up to huge new challenges now and our lives aren't comfortable any more?

/obvious sarcasm

reminds me of a quote from 2002 when some guy interviewing some cricketer started the interview with "so how do you think cricket has changed post 9/11?"

josh said:
i think he's pretty obtuse to be honest... not very impressed - he does talk a load of bollocks at times..

at least he doesn't spout the usual 'doing it for my fans' balls and tries to explain what motivates him to write music. also he sounds like he is properly obsessed with just writing music to a probably unhealthy point, which i reckon goes a long way to explaining why (i reckon) he's so good.

def worth a read...

I fucking LOVE his arrogance, yes will, it's why his music is SO GOOD. It's so painstakingly thought over and conceptual, but so selfishly so. I'm very jealous, of the skill, and absolutly happy I'm not quite so lonely.

Squarespuher=good/god/delete as appropriate

Back