Recommend a microphone

Mmmm i'd spend around 500 pounds max. i think!

It depends, cos its a fcking good microphone then ill wait 1 or 2 more months till i can afford it.
its a waste of money buying the 2nd best and then chuck it out when you can afford the other. :Smile3:

June Rashava / Black Mamba said:
Mmmm i'd spend around 500 pounds max. i think!

It depends, cos its a fcking good microphone then ill wait 1 or 2 more months till i can afford it.
its a waste of money buying the 2nd best and then chuck it out when you can afford the other. :Smile3:

Certainly true, but I'd try out as many mics as you can before parting with your cash, because the differences are really pretty subtle and even the cheaper condenser mics sound pretty good.

As far as the practicalities go, you'll probably be wanting a large diaphragm condenser microphone. Now do you need a switchable pickup pattern, or can you make do with cardioid?

If you do, then the C414 is a pretty good all rounder, although I have used these a lot and whilst they give a good neautral sound...in my opinion there are better sounding mics.

If you don't need switchable pickup patterns, then for about the same money you can get a Neumann TLM193 - which is a better sounding mic but only offers a cardioid pickup pattern. It's basically a cut down version of the U87, which is pretty much the dog's bollocks and popular with big studios.

If that's too expensive, then try out some other makes. In my experience Rode mics are pretty good whilst costing far less than AKG or Neumann.

Another thing to bear in mind: if you haven't already got one then it might also be worth spending some money on a good microphone preamp, rather than recording through a mixing desk.

u said studio but u didnt say exactly what for........

Psilocybo said:
Yeah but what sort of instruments?? For vocals you could go for a Shure Beta 58 which is a nicely priced dynamic vocal mic.

No way, they are stage mics and have a very coloured sound. Not what you'd normally want for studio recording unless you were looking for a particular sound.

Back