Recording Hardware Synths in Cubase SX3

The Phonographist

www.lucidoxford.com
Reaction score
Oi Oi Saveloys!

I'm (we're) having a few problems recording me Virus into Cubase SX3. Really new to this program and can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

All seems like it's working but the audio file that plays back is slightly distorted and is a delay of the original output from the Virus.

Played around with (to no avail)

1. Driver settings.
2. Soundcard input levels.
3. Virus ouput levels.

Is there something we've may have forgotten that is obvious ?

The soundcard is a bit shit - SB Audigy. (A new one's in the pipeline before anyone says "get a new one"!) but it can't think it should have any problems just recording audio in. (?)

Any solution ideas appriciated, I dont really want to set up an external recording device and import files between PCs.

Cheers.

Are you using ASIO4All drivers? If not give 'em a try.

What do the monitor levels look like going in? (left hand side of the transport bar IIRC, or click the little speaker icon next to the mixer channel).

J.

This is going to sound like a troubleshooting section, but

- Does the distortion sound like clipping, or like a dodgy cable?
- How long is the delay? (Back when I used an SB Live, the delay was significant, and had to be manually adjusted)

J.

The delay is really significant. Cant remember exact amount. The distortion sounds like light clipping, not like a dodgy cable.

Have you tried recording using another program (Sound Forge/Cool Edit, or at a pinch Windows Sound Recorder)?

Obviously I'm at work right now so all I can do is suggest random stuff. Priority is working out whether there's a software or hardware issue. :Smile3:

J.

Good point DH - On a Creative EMU10K based card (SBLive/Audigy), sample rate *must* be set to 48kHz for recording purposes. This is because the drivers are pants and do a quick-and-dirty resample on the fly if set to *any* other sample rate, including 44.1kHz (Cubase default).

J.

OK. this is not a solution to your problem but just a good tip. I found that using th KX drivers (open source) with SB cards such as the audigy give the best results.
look here: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

Theese guys seem to know what they are doing, for example they use the rear output because they have measured and found that it has less noise compared to the normal front.

Also they have a cool "modular" way of handling all outputs and internal dsp effects. Of course ASIO is supported.

Maybe this will even solve your problem.

Give it a try :Grin:

JPsychodelicacy said:
Good point DH - On a Creative EMU10K based card (SBLive/Audigy), sample rate *must* be set to 48kHz for recording purposes. This is because the drivers are pants and do a quick-and-dirty resample on the fly if set to *any* other sample rate, including 44.1kHz (Cubase default).

J.

We thought that may be an issue. How do you change the record sample rate in SX3 ? *I really ought to invest in a book or something!

nomis said:
OK. this is not a solution to your problem but just a good tip. I found that using th KX drivers (open source) with SB cards such as the audigy give the best results.
look here: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

Theese guys seem to know what they are doing, for example they use the rear output because they have measured and found that it has less noise compared to the normal front.

Also they have a cool "modular" way of handling all outputs and internal dsp effects. Of course ASIO is supported.

Maybe this will even solve your problem.

Give it a try :Grin:

Cheers chap, will give it a go.

The Phonographist said:
We thought that may be an issue. How do you change the record sample rate in SX3 ? *I really ought to invest in a book or something!

In previous versions of SX, it's set in Project Setup, IIRC - will double-check when I get home.

J.

Back