Recording on DVD

onestone

Reaction score
Question from DVD-ignorant person.

I've installed a DVD writer onto a PC and using Nero I've managed to copy another DVD. I also have a digital video camera connected to the PC and want to put what's on the camera on DVD so I can watch it as a DVD. I get confused because I don't know what option to use or even if it can be done.

1) Is the content of the video camera another file that I copy onto the DVD

2) If it is a file can I watch it on any DVD machine?

3) Can I put more than one camera recording onto the DVD and have a menu

I'll stop here because I'm getting confused asking the questions.

Thanks for any replies.

Normally to copy to DVD the file format has to be MPEG2, though
some programs let you take other formats and burn them onto DVD.

What you need it a capture program. Virtual DUB will do this, and
will also let you convert the captured file into MPEG2 for burning onto
DVD. When you burn the MPEG2 file onto the DVD it converts it
to a DVD-video format so that it is watchable in stand-alone DVD
players (depending on your burn format of course +/-)

Yes you can have multiple clips on DVD, but it depends on the
authoring software (which creates and burn the DVD-video format,
which is used by DVD players). And have menu's and everything. But
it costs.

My best advice is either read the numerous DVD faqs on line, and take
an afternoon or two learning about it. Or by a DVD authoring
magazine for £5, there was a great one last month, which covered
all these issues.

onestone said:
Question from DVD-ignorant person.

I've installed a DVD writer onto a PC and using Nero I've managed to copy another DVD. I also have a digital video camera connected to the PC and want to put what's on the camera on DVD so I can watch it as a DVD. I get confused because I don't know what option to use or even if it can be done.

1) Is the content of the video camera another file that I copy onto the DVD

You need to "capture" the video from the camera - Microsoft Movie Maker is bundled as part of windows and will do this fairly easily, it also let's you do basic editing. Then export it from there to avi or whatever format it gives you.

2) If it is a file can I watch it on any DVD machine?

To playback on any old DVD player it needs to be in a specific format with a certain folder structure I think, Nero will set this up for you if you use it's option to create a DVD Video (can't remember the exact option but if you have the Nero QuickStart bit installed you can find it easily). If you set up your project as a DVD video Nero will give you a list of acceptable formats that it can convert on the fly during the burning process. You can just drag and drop them.

3) Can I put more than one camera recording onto the DVD and have a menu

If you have a full version of Nero it includes some basic DVD authoring software, if not you may find some was bundled with your DVD burner. This will allow you to create menus and add multiple video files to the disk etc.

Thanks for the quick replies Yodhe and MD.

So from what I understood, first I need a video capture program, which I suppose means saving to disk. I'm sure the camera came with software to do that.

After capturing, I need authoring software to then put it onto DVD. I'm sure Nero is the full thing and has the Quick Start menu.

Lastly I'll try to find some time to read up on this bloody business - it's a mess, isn't it? I suppose it's this "user friendly" home computing idea that has made us all think that we can do anything with just a few clicks of the mouse button - from music producers to film editors.

puzzing question...

How can you copy music file's such as mp3, wma e.c.t,, to dvd-rw Discs

Is this actually possible?
If not i've got 10 for sale

....Offers....

onestone said:
from music producers to film editors.

that is why i have gone to college for the next major part of year - just trying to get the hang of what you are trying to do dori

onestone said:
So from what I understood, first I need a video capture program, which I suppose means saving to disk. I'm sure the camera came with software to do that.

That's correct, most capture software also includes editing of the captured footage to some degree - if none came with the camera (didn't with mine but that was years ago) then windows movie maker should already be installed, if it's not then you can get it free from microsoft website I think.

dave arc-i said:
that is why i have gone to college for the next major part of year - just trying to get the hang of what you are trying to do dori

This is a real problem with desktop computing, isn't it. You're lead to believe that you can do anything you want but nobody tells you that you also need a lot of knowledge before you do. I remember the first desktop DOS computers that came out. Businesses went out and bought them for their personnel, plonked them on their desks and said "Go ahead". What do you do with C:\ I worked for a computer company at the time and we were innundated with calls asking what to do after you turned the thing on.

I think of myself as computer literate and ready to pour out all my musical ideas onto the computer, I load a sequencer up and all I've managed to do is get a 4/4 beat going.

My brother-in-law (complete computer illiterate) buys a digital camera and a flashy computer and says "What do I do now?". Maybe i should get him "DVD Recording for Idiots" and not waste my and everybody else's time. Mind you now I've got this how does it work bug, I have to stick with it.

to be honest - nothing ive been shown so far is that complex - where the problems lie (imo) is getting yourself around the interface and understanding the terminogoly and how it applies to the task in hand -suppose like most things really when it is explained to you by someone who knows

The best method ive found is to use Adobe Premier to:
1. capture from tape.
2. export to adobe media encoder - as an mpg file
then a program called TMPGEncoder http://www.tmpgenc.net/ to:
3. create menu and burn the final dvd

If you are still stuck, and i kinda expect you might be, give me a message and ill write more about how to do things. I have personal made 30 DVD Videos' and are more than happy to share the process to all who are keen to learn. PSY ON.

:icool:

premiere pro7 has the abilty to export to dvd direct from the editor

Back