Recording VST instruments (Cubase SX 2)

im not a VST user but surely there must be a "mixdown" function ? i guess if you mute off all your audio just leaving the synths you want to record then select mixdown ?

eh what do i know eh? (logic user :Smile3:)

lol have to admit, dont get what you mean.....

well, i would have max 2 audio tracks playing, maybe 10/15 VTS synths, and possibly 2/3 hard synths....I want to record each VST synth onto a seperate audio channel, but I dont wana have to go thru the whole damn thing soloing each channel

must be a way to set the input for one audio channel to one VST synth output surly??

ahhh i get what you mean but im buggered if i know how to do it!!

Multi track recording? I think u can do it in cubase, but I have to wonder why you would want to unless you're recording a live band in one take...

whack everything you wanna record through a dry bus .....

whack "tape it" on the new bus's strip ....... and err, tape it !!

Or mute everything except the bus that your are routing things to and record that ???? no ???

*tad confused*

jamez_23 said:
whack everything you wanna record through a dry bus .....

whack "tape it" on the new bus's strip ....... and err, tape it !!

Or mute everything except the bus that your are routing things to and record that ???? no ???

*tad confused*

err, that is if you want all parts mixed down into one ......

I'm guessing now that you dont ..... he he eh !! sorry !! :iredface:

lol nope I dont

basically I wana mess around with the eq and effects for each VST instrument, but I cant do that untill they are audio tracks, and I dont want to go thru each one recording seperatly

or am I being really stupid? Can I eq and add effects to the output VST instruments live?

They don't have to be audio tracks - they can be live, and that's probably the sensible way to do it anyhow.

Locate the output for your VSTi (can be accessed various ways, e.g. the mixer) and you should have the same kind of control as you would for an audio track.

That's unless I haven't quite grasped what you're after...?

miszt said:
lol nope I dont

basically I wana mess around with the eq and effects for each VST instrument, but I cant do that untill they are audio tracks, and I dont want to go thru each one recording seperatly

or am I being really stupid? Can I eq and add effects to the output VST instruments live?

your cubase mixer has a midi channel and an audio channel on the mixer for every vsti. The only thing that would stop you putting effects etc on the audio output of a vsti is proscessing power. Especially when you have 10-15 vsti's on the go(6-7 is about the limit my little mac can take).

jackrabbit said:
your cubase mixer has a midi channel and an audio channel on the mixer for every vsti. The only thing that would stop you putting effects etc on the audio output of a vsti is proscessing power. Especially when you have 10-15 vsti's on the go(6-7 is about the limit my little mac can take).

yeah, well when i move stuff to laptop its definitly an issue, but then I just use Freeze :iyes: atm I have a dual proc, so i recon I can push 20 + fx :dancey:

yeah, making music has become very difficult recently, because my computer slows right down about 3 minutes into a choon. i'm only running necessary things. battery 2 for kick and percussion, VB1 for bass, and maybe an albino 2 for a pad. then i have 3 send effects, and thats just the cubase delay and reverb. apart from that, the odd compressor here and there, a few waves EQs... most of my EQing is done as a process on a file, as opposed to being an insert. in reality it shouldnt be hammering my system like it is... it used to run fine... maybe i do need a new computer...

windoze has this constant need to be reinstalled frequently, for some reason it gets clogged up and slugish very fast, maybe it sucks up dust? lol

some things to try, sorry if they are obvious to you...

First Defrag
Reset the Virtual memory to somthing really small (100Mb or less)
Defrag again
Reset Virtual Memory to whatever you use it @ (usually 2x system ram size)

If you have 2 hard drives (not partitions), split virtual memory across both of them, coz this pretty much doubles the speed your computer can access vm :Grin:

Apart from that, soundz like ya need a reinstall man, fekin windoze *mumbleGrumble*

Only usually a problem if you install too much crap on your PC.

Keep the SW installations reasonably tightly controlled and Windows XP should run for a good long time.

I've seen mates machines that had so many services and little background tasks running that I'm amazed they managed to present a GUI!

Back