rolling base on reason dilema

chessboxer

Junior Members
Reaction score
using REASON . . . . . . . . . I have been rummaging through all the different bass line threads and im still at a loss!!!!!
I can get a nice bass sound but getting it rolling i can't!! hmmmm. I turn up the release on the amp envelope and it just ends up humming instead of something rolling?? Why can't i figure this out? ive fiddled around with the sustain, delay attack etc but alas! to no avail! Ive messed around on the other envelopes bla bla bla but NO! I hear whispers of side chain compression - which, despite the compressor in REASON not having a dedicated sidechain input, can be immitated! Help me please, everyhting else im all sorted on really, if i could sort this out id be well on me way to producing some half decent tracks!

Thanks in advance

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
if you're releasing the bass i wouldn't worry for now with the chain massacre of compression
don't turn the release up and apply some eq to fat it... i guess you're talking on the subtractor, yes?

chessboxer

Junior Members
Reaction score
ear dude check this out . . . . . ive posted a link to an example bassline thingy ive done

see, it sounds okay at the beginning when the kick snare and hi hat are all playing with the bass but . . . . .notice that half way through when its just the kick and bass it doesnt quite sound right . . .do you hear?! have a listen dude its the top one called 'bassline example'

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=509464

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
i can't access the website... and isn't this a 'just for users' thingie, i mean can i hear something from there even if i'm not registered?

chessboxer

Junior Members
Reaction score
no you should be able to access it via the link and you don't have to be registered atleast im pretty sure you don't. Sorry dude. Ill sort something else out. Check back later

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
i had a listen already, there's obvioulsy something going on, but the way you're doing it, makes me believe that you wouldn't even need to have running a chain for proper compression...
you have a propper wicked kick, not wanting to take credit out of you work, the only problem is the weak bass sound you decided to use... find the patience and tweak that bass... sorry, you may want to turn up the release a little bit!

chessboxer

Junior Members
Reaction score
ta very much nick . . . . . patience . . .hmmmm . . .now theres one enemy i DO have respect for . . hehe! :Smile3: a nearly impossible obstacle is that 'patience' grrrrrr :Sad: getting there though, getting there! . . . slowly