Room EQ (Updated)

Biggins

Cake Or Death
Reaction score
How do.

This evening I had a bit of a play around with Room EQ Wizard in the studio space. Mainly just to see how the room measured at the listening point. Here is the first plot (3rd Octave smoothing, which, i believe, is not the done thing but it makes more sense this way).

Pre EQ.PNG

and then dug out a 2 x 31 band Graphic EQ which I had and connected it between the soundcard and the monitors and spent a bit of time trying to EQ at the listening position. I ended up with this plot:

Post EQ.PNG

It seems like a bit of an improvement :Smile3:

My question is, is this a legit way to go (or am i missing something)?

I've seen people getting giddy about Sonarworks and the like and this seemed like a potential (similar) fix for my situation without forking out $$$ for more software.
Also - yes the second freq curve isn't flat but it was the best i could do with that particular EQ without playing "whack a mole" with the different peaks and troughs. I used an RTA mic when measuring.

Cheers
B

yes you can try testing at a few spots to see if you get much variation in the repsonse ,i didnt get too heavy into rta on the stereo end but ive spent 30years playing with bass in cars and using termlab measuring software,you can do a lot by altering or moving some of the objects in the space, ive found the less software tweaking you do the better the overall sound

How do,

I thought I would revisit this thread cos i made some changes. Although I needed to do something about the freq response in my room (see the OP), I decided to ditch the Graphic EQ that I was using to correct what i was hearing at the listening position. It was adding noies and i was getting these nasty distorted spikes when using the unit.

To replace the Graphic EQ, I demo'ed, then stumped up the $$ for IK Multimedia Arc System 3 which seems to be on special at the mo (I got it for AU$100). It works in the same way that the DBX Driverack PA tuning software works. You use the software and an RTA mic take a series of sine sweep measurements at a bunch of different positions around the listening position and the software does Clever Things, applies EQ as required. You then save that setting. Once done, open your DAW, whack the Arc3 vst as the last thing on the master buss and apply the settings you just got from the measurements. Done.

Here is the before measurements:

Before.png

After:
After.png

On one hand, it's pretty annoying to have to stump up $100 for what is essentially a one trick pony, but then I remembered that I also bought other one trick ponies this year and at least this way I should now be able to make tunes without my speakers being slowly buggered by awful distorted noises from the Graphic EQ.

Other options are Sonarworks and Waves Tract (which seems to incorporate SMAART which is really good PA tuning gear).

Cheers
B

Last edited:
IK Multimedia Imicro MTM monitors come with an arc microphone. Also I would say that at 3.5mm they are likely to pretty faithful in that they won’t be affected too much by the room. I am thinking about getting a pair of these as I reckon they will be as close to a true reference as possible.

Back