Scary

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score

DJJD

Piechedelic
Reaction score
Disgraceful. The police should be penalised for using the law incorrectly.

gekko_van_meng

altered stateswoman
Reaction score
Nice to see someone had the balls to stand up!

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
It's more the fact that someone who was blatently not a terrorist was detained under the terrorism act. Why would the police even consider using this to detain him, however briefly? Bearing in mind the new powers police have been granted under this act, I think this is a scary precedence.

D

dave arc-i

According to BBC South news pages on ceefax

"more than 600 people have been stopped and spoken to by police - and some of them searched - during the labour party conference in brighton"

"a spokeswoman said many people in the city said they wanted the police to keep these power to keep them safe"

i am left wondering who they asked

Faction

Proto-col
Reaction score
"Right Bob, you ask me the question."
"OK Jim, here we go: How do you feel about the powers granted to police under the new Terrorism laws?"
"Well Bob, I want the police to keep them to keep me safe."
"Great Jim. Now you ask me."
"OK Bob: How do you feel about the powers granted to police under the new Terrorism laws?"
"Well Jim, I want the police to keep them to keep me safe."
"Nice one Bob. That's two... but we need more for a decent sample. Hey Sarge, do you mind if I ask you a question...?"

Barclay (Dark Angel)

Ninja Hippy
Reaction score
Michael Portillo

Ha, thought that would get your attention :Wink3:.

He was talking about this on the Beeb last night, saying that if this is the way the Cops are using the Terrorism Act, it's a clear abuse of power. The interesting bit is that he then went on to say that the Cops can't be trusted, and that assurances by New Labour that powers would be used responsibly can't be trusted either.

Asked about the proposed 3 month detention without charge he said that it was an arbitrary length of time. Of course the cops want it, but if 3 months, why not 6 months, or a year. He went further, saying that there are far more factors to be taken into account than pure Policing considerations. The legislature has to consider them, and has to be seen to be independant.

If Portillo's saying things like this, we really are in deep shit.

And everyone's Political moment of the week? Walter Wolfgang being ejected from the conference...

Says it all really, doesn't it!

Hugs,

Barclay

grokit23

God mintsmak
Reaction score
On a similar level to our Terrorism Act the Americans have got their Patriot Act which is being used by the government to effectively ignore their own constitution and perform acts which would have been illegal... :ph34r:

Some interesting documentary footage about it here: >clicky<

PS: I know we're not American, but it's relevant as our government is doing/wanting to do similar things.