Scientism

Ive been thinking about Idealism recently and its , urm, idea that the objective world's 'purpose' is to be sensed by mental apparatus. I wouldn't go as far as Idealism in stating that the world is a creation of sense organs. I would, however, be persuaded to go this far in conjunction with panpsychism

I feel that panpsychism offers such a radical approach to nature that it fundamentally rebuilds all of our concepts with new meanings. Eg, the simple objective/subjective dichotomy is removed. This sounds small, but in fact is beyond massive.

Last edited:
Can I please rewind? All I was trying to say is that there is no evidence to suggest consciousness is a field effect in the way that electromagnetism is. The whole topic of consciousness and sentience is fascinating and worth looking into, but it isn't my thing.

There is a lot of evidence to suggest consciousness can collapse the wave functions into particles/instances (e.g. Von Neumann–Wigner interpretation).

I feel that panpsychism offers such a radical approach to nature that it fundamentally rebuilds all of our concepts with new meanings. Eg, the simple objective/subjective dichotomy is removed. This sounds small, but in fact is beyond massive.

Massive indeed. I am enjoying looking into Robert Lanza's angle called Biocentrism at the moment.

This along with all the strangeness that can happen with organ transplants points towards memory being stored holographically or non-local don't you think?

Im unsure what holographically means.

In the case of the worm it may indicate that memories are stored in the body and the brain.

If your memories were stored holographically it would mean that every bit of you contains every memory - but slightly faded. Like a hologram (i.e if you snap off a piece from a holographic film that piece will still contain the whole image - but without the definition).

If your memories were stored holographically it would mean that every bit of you contains every memory - but slightly faded. Like a hologram (i.e if you snap off a piece from a holographic film that piece will still contain the whole image - but without the definition).

I looked up the word holograpically and couldnt find a defintion of it in relation to the mind. Is this a word you use personally, or is it from some theory i havent heard about?

I am not sure you would find it associated with the mind, per say (but then what else is there).

Holography is a thing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holography). The way each point contains information about every other point could be said to be the holographic principle.

The Holographic Universe theory (which is kinda like a lot of other theories with different names) is a thing (https://phys.org/news/2017-01-reveals-substantial-evidence-holographic-universe.html). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle)

Going with as above so below principle maybe this could be applied to memories and the body too (if they have to be stored there - not sure it is necessary).

Guys, what are your thoughts on CBD oil? Is it a legit thing? I read a few articles and whant to try it out, even found where can i buy cbd oil near me but is it really a good idea?
It's legal but, sorry I have no idea why people want to smoke / insufflate /inject /eat / drink it or whatever one does with and I've no idea why it's such a craze.

Back