Scrap the NHS....

Xenomage

Lord High ChillMaester
Reaction score
Okay, I always get told I'm wrong for this, but erm, couldn't that money be spent better (police/education) (Wars in foreign countries, they're always fun) (That one was a rather tasteless joke)

But seriously, I know I wouldn't miss it (yet)
So, anyone dependant on free healthcare?
Anybody bitter they didn't get the education they could have had (Great education does exist)
Anyone been mugged, or stabbed (Or, yes, had your home broken into)

How do those three questions tally?

Discuss:

:irazz:

Wise, man. Care to tell me why. Or can you not articulate it? I'm sick of being told I'm wrong with no explanation as to why... Really it drives me nuts. And no I won't change my opinion untill someone can explain why... Sorry. But Purusha, you've usually got great things to say so have a pop at it.

<stops patronising>

Maybe the first step is for you to give us your well-thought through alternative(s)?

Perhaps then I/we can pick apart your ideas?

Otherwise - I was being cheeky above, hence the smiley.

Sorry, sleep pattern ruined by my weekend, haven't slept since yesterday 11am, so a tad irritable. Felt like editing my post, but decided against it ('m no coward....much)

I'm pretty ignorant. Well, I'm incredably ignorant, but if there was better police funding, if it was a more attractive career choice/ less risk of being mobbed by 6 pissed Welshmen (nothing to do with Welshmen, just rolled of the keyboard.... so to speak.) ANYHOO, where was I, yeah, wouldn't the streets be safer? (call me NAIVE!!!)

Oh, yeah, and if studying hard at school meant that you could become a teacher in your adult life (not lawyer or doctor, but teacher - open your mind to this) then on the whole, children would be better educated, which can only benefit the future generations, and lead us towards a more symbiotic harmonious realtionship with our fellow man.... Or woman:bananase: heh...

So start from there and we'll see how it goes... Start picking (should be a piece of piss)

Peace:irazz:

SugarPixie said:
Aren't other countries always wishing their healthcare was as good as ours?
- Our system might not be as efficient as it could be, but I still reckon its right that your health should not be dependant on you having money.

But your education should? Fair enough, I can accept your point (heard it many times before)

And wouldn't it really fuck off those big drug companies... The NHS has to be the biggest customer in the world for them.... Surely? (Yeah, yeah, Naive, I know)

Xenomage said:
Sorry, sleep pattern ruined by my weekend, haven't slept since yesterday 11am, so a tad irritable. Felt like editing my post, but decided against it ('m no coward....much)

I'm pretty ignorant. Well, I'm incredably ignorant, but if there was better police funding, if it was a more attractive career choice/ less risk of being mobbed by 6 pissed Welshmen (nothing to do with Welshmen, just rolled of the keyboard.... so to speak.) ANYHOO, where was I, yeah, wouldn't the streets be safer? (call me NAIVE!!!)

Oh, yeah, and if studying hard at school meant that you could become a teacher in your adult life (not lawyer or doctor, but teacher - open your mind to this) then on the whole, children would be better educated, which can only benefit the future generations, and lead us towards a more symbiotic harmonious realtionship with our fellow man.... Or woman:bananase: heh...

So start from there and we'll see how it goes... Start picking (should be a piece of piss)

Peace:irazz:

Sorry, but how does all that relate to the NHS?

However, at $37.1 billion in 2003, the UK still has the third largest military budget in the world (only the USA and Japan spend more), and this would remain the case even if the UK military budget were to be reduced by as much as 5%. Fair point, but for a small while lets forget about the military... I totally agree we should disband most of our army, but let's assume that's not going to happen for a while...

Purusha said:
Sorry, but how does all that relate to the NHS?

Well, we spend a twelve figure sum on the NHS at the moment... If that were spent elsewhere...

The problem with the NHS is one of management. They're squandering vast sums and delivering less and less each year. That is the nature of public services. The more you spend the less you get.

Most of it goes on wages and cushy pension schemes for NHS executives and consultants of all types which by far outstrips what private sector workers get.

Treasury figures disclose that the provision for the NHS pension scheme this year is some £26.8 billion, rather than the £7.8 billion in the previous year's figures. This is where out money goes.

We need to slash public sector accross the board. We can't afford it much longer.

Maybe stopping the PFI schemes and their blatant theft of the NHS money would be a better bet than slashing public sector spending. The PFI schemes and their complete failure to deliver value for money or savings to the public are the single biggest reason for the majority of healthtrusts' financial woes, instead they deliver profits to shareholders and cost health authoritys more and more each year for fewer and fewer services. PFI is bankrupting our NHS and delivering new hospitals to the private companies who're going to be ready to take them over when the health authorities can no longer pay.

Privately... Teaching is a requires a broader knowledge, whereas becoming a doctor takes years and years of training... Privately they can charge as they please. Trouble with healthcare is that you can't tell people how to live, so they poison themselves and destroy their bodies, and then want to get patched back up afterwards... Yeah, it IS their right, they've paid the tax, but howz about this: Live how you like, but you'd better set something aside, if you want to be looked after when your ill, because your tax is going into keeping you smart and safe, not healthy. That's your responsibility....

What's wrong with that.... Unfair? Is it not unfair to limit years of children from having the same chance in life as say, somebody born in Germany, because they just don't know how to learn... We're doing more damage to our society by not addressing this problem now....

Back