Scrapping Holocaust day for Genocide day.

josh

marathon solo-sessionahoy
Reaction score
So Labour advisors have decided it would be a good idea to replace National Holocaust day with Genocide day to better improve relations with British Muslims by making it more inclusive.

What are everyones thoughts?

I can tell you the Telegraph was pretty scathing about it but that's not so surprising.

rcain

Reaction score
...wtf...total non sequitur...

...until very recently it was law on the Isle on Man that all scotsmen should be slain on sight during National Scots Week....is this the sort of thing they had in mind....but more inclusive?

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
They both sound pretty reasonable really, though any attempted scrapping of Holocaust day will just end up leading to more ill feelings in the short term I suspect.

There have been plenty of genocidal atrocities around the world and I'm sure the survivors of all of them think they're equally as worthy of remembrance as the survivors of Hitler's holocaust. Why should any one get preferential treatment? Stalin murdered many more of his own than Hitler did of the Jews, Mao wasn't just about the little red book, he had his rivers of blood too, Pol Pot was out to get anybody capable of thinking he was a bad idea, the list goes on, but we don't have a day for each one of them.

Maybe having them both, on separate days, would be a better idea for now at least until more people are ready to step aside from their religious and race issues and just acknowledge that any mass killing is wrong whoever it was inflicted upon and that we should all be equally appalled whoever suffered.

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
rcain said:
...wtf...total non sequitur...

...until very recently it was law on the Isle on Man that all scotsmen should be slain on sight during National Scots Week....is this the sort of thing they had in mind....but more inclusive?

IIRC it was that any Scotsman seen coming up a beach (from a boat) on a bank holiday could be shot.

It dated back to days of sheep rustling and was never implemented in living memory, because it was clear that the law no longer made any sense in more modern times.

And no not at all the sort of thing they had in mind. :iwink:

josh

marathon solo-sessionahoy
Reaction score
It was also mentioned that Holocaust day also remembers not just the Jews but the homosexuals, disabled, blacks and others that were killed by Hitler so although there is a large Jewish presence about the day, there are definate commemorances for those other persecuted groups. The message broadcast is already clear - do we really need another day? Even if your particular group is not included here, is it not just about the general message that is sent?

rcain

Reaction score
grokit23 said:
IIRC it was that any Scotsman seen coming up a beach (from a boat) on a bank holiday could be shot.

It dated back to days of sheep rustling and was never implemented in living memory, because it was clear that the law no longer made any sense in more modern times.

And no not at all the sort of thing they had in mind. :iwink:

well recalled grokit....and i stand corrected....just the bank holidays it is then....

perhaps just a national day of the dead everywhere
or
national remembrance day for murderous political lies

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
But if it's just about the general message then why object to calling it Genocide Day? It could be on the same day and you could still treat it in exactly the same way.

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
i think the main reason objections are being voiced so strenuously is that this proposal is kinda tied into the whole holocaust-denialism and -minimalisation arguments... people see it as a step towards delegitimising the memory of the holocaust.

stalin's victims were immeasurably numerous; at one point during the Purges 1 in 6 people had been arrested. pol pot was brutal in an indiscriminate way, mao's Great Leap produced the aforementioned rivers of blood; even before the acknowledged start of the Holocaust (in terms of the establishment of the Aktion Reinhard camps), the nazis had hung thousands of disabled men, women & children, the work-shy, those suffering from hereditary illness etc. etc.; in Rwanda the Hutu/Tutsi conflicts killed untold thousands... fuck, 2 years ago the death toll in the Democratic Republic of Congo was put at 3 million+...

just think about that for a second. think about how much coverage 9/11 got. think about the fact that if 9/11 happened every day for two years you still wouldn't have enough corpses to fill the graves in the Congo. think about half a holocaust (i hate to use such emotive numerical terminology, but its an apt way of getting the horror across), 3 million people dying, in the space of 3 years, in the 21st century... and most people haven't even HEARD of the DRC.

it's a fucking disgrace. can you imagine 3 million people dying in any other continent and no-one making a fuss about it? three million dead people, in one country, in the new millenium.... it's just unimaginable. what are our priorities? what in fuck's name are we doing? ? ?

sorry - off-tangent rants...

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
AEON said:
snip snip
sorry - off-tangent rants...

no mate that was an excellent post.

For my part I find platitudes like 'Genocide Day' or 'Holocaust Day' are utterly trite and pointless and a substitute for action and education.

What are we supposed to do on such a day?

Mope about thinking really hard about all those people in all those different countries who died? Ponder on the ineffectiveness of the UN and our own Govts?

I'm afraid the whole idea seems to be a moral sticking plaster so that slimy fuckers like Blair can give impassioned speeches about how outraged we all are, whilst doing NOTHING.