Shots in Miami airport

Seems like a tragic accident really, but then you'll get more of these if you regularly put jumpy people who are armed on flights. :Sad:

Miami airport is horrible (but as its the only one in the US I have been to I cant say if its just Miami).

They treat people with utter contempt, spesh if English (or Spanish for that matter) isn't their first language.

I found myself with a planefull of people locked in a small mouldy room (it stank, but then the whole airport seems to stink) with no food and a single dirty toilet cublicle
for four or five hours. Was rudely interrogated, pushed, shouted at, all this illegaly (as i was a transit passenger on way to Central America, but since when did the US apply international law domestically)!

Im not surprised at all!

Anyway US officials like killing people dont they!

miszt said:
They are saying he claimed to have a bomb and was going to blow the flight up
"They" were saying that de Menezes was running away from the Police, and so he got what he deserved.

Have a look at this interview, which largely applies to this situation as well.
Uncyclopedia said:
The following is an excerpt from an interview between Sir Ian Blair and Steve Donovan, a journalist with an ounce of brain, some dignity, and capable of independent thought. As you have probably guessed, it's completely fictional.

* Steve: So, what's this "shoot-to-kill" policy you've come up with?
* Ian: First of all, please don't call it that. It's not like we go around London trying to kill people.
* Steve: But that's exactly what happened the one and only time the police have made use of that policy...
* Ian: The tube shooting is a distraction that should not overshadow the deaths of 52 victims of the London bombers.
* Steve: What are you suggesting? That 52 lives are "more priceless" than one? Or maybe you mean that the police have not only wasted an innocent life, but also failed to save 52 more? If you like statistics, then how about this: the shoot-to-kill policy has saved ZERO lives so far, and wasted an innocent one by mistake. This is a policy with 100% failure rate. One cock-up out of one time the policy has been put to use.
* Ian: But wait, if Mr. de Menezes had been a terrorist, surely this policy would have saved lives...
* Steve: As it turns out, not even that. If, as it's likely to be the case from now on, the bombs are triggered by a timer, a remote-control (e.g. mobile phone, like in Madrid) or a dead-man switch (a switch that triggers when it's released, as opposed to when it's pushed, think hand grenade), the policy can't do any good, so we are only left with its risks.
* Ian: Oh but come on, this has just been an unfortunate accident...
* Steve: If this policy does make us safer, it must have been a hell of a fucking accident if it failed the first time it has been tested. Remember: 100% failure rate. I can imagine thousands of scenarios where this policy would have lead to an unlawful death, be it of an innocent man behaving "suspiciously" (or simply cacthing a train as in this case), or of a genuine suspect not posing a threat to the public, in which case it would be a summary execution without trial.
* Ian: You convinced me, I'm a complete idiot and I should resign.

Out of interest, do you know of any flight marshals who have saved any lives by killing somebody? (Not being sarcastic, I just don't know, but I doubt it)

Also very interesting this prediction on shoot-to-kill policies:
josh (not psyforum's josh) said:
As someone with a relative with schizoprenia, and another relative with a seizure disorder, I'm frightened by this sort of policy. Can police tell the difference between someone who is ill and harmless, but acting strangly and afraid of the police, from a suicide bomber?

I predict the occasional murder of schizoprenics.

Let's just wait for the usual cover-up + whitewash.
By the way, Ian Blair's whitewash was promised by Christmas, wasn't it? The two butchers, er... I mean officers, have already been cleared. You could be excused for having missed that in the press.

julian said:
Out of interest, do you know of any flight marshals who have saved any lives by killing somebody? (Not being sarcastic, I just don't know, but I doubt it)

The original artical posted at the top of this thread says that they have never used deadly force on a person before

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/07/national/07cnd-plane.html?hp said:
According to a witness on the plane, The Associated Press said, the man was followed by a woman who ran after him as he bolted from the plane, shouting that the man was mentally ill.

This however is worrying, wish I had seen it before.

Seems like another case of panic attacks by gun-carrying police(" "), which is odd considering that the police all carry guns over there.

Seattle times article

It seems this guy had Bipolar Disorder and hadn't taken his meds, according to this article. On that basis, who knows what reason he had for saying anything? The one thing absolutely certain is that he was no terrorist, just ill.

Maybe he was suicidal.

I agree with Josh (quoted above by Julian).

People with mental illness frequently "act suspiciously". How many members of our armed police force are trained to tell the difference between a nutter with a bomb, and an everyday person who they don't like the look of?

how can you tell the diffrence? If someone is screaming 'I've got a bomb and I'm gonna kill you all'....how do you make the choice? its a pretty hard desciion, but imo, the good of the many out ways the good of the few... (ex trekky lol)

I admit in this situation it must have been hard. It sounds like the cops needed to do something.

Fast-acting stun guns would have done the trick better though...

If someone is screaming 'I've got a bomb and I'm gonna kill you all'...
...they are most certainly not terrorists wanting to kill as many people as possible.

Hard decision, but armed police happen to get it wrong all the time. Coincidence?

And why not reassess the situation after every shot? (they shot "4 or 5")
And why treating the other passengers like animals and point guns at the back of their heads after it was clear that it was a police fuck up?

"The good of the many outweighs the good of the few"
Nobody would disagree with that, but here it's more
"The (very improbable) good of the many outweighs the (certain) good of the few (innocents)"

I said it with de Menezes (when everybody was still hanging on to the "split second decision" and "he asked for it" arguments), I repeat it now: it could be you next time.

Back