Should DJ Mixes and Artists' Own Tracks be in Separate Forums?

Artist Tracks/ Mixes in Different Sub Forums Within Media Production?

• Yes!

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Care!

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • You're not my real dad!

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
When people post tracks they are often looking for technical help, ideas, techniques and critiques. Artists' own tracks are also much easier to download.

I love listening to mixes too, but for different reasons. Also, people post mixes for different reasons. Not: "Can anyone comment on my mix at 34:18. Could I have used more cutoff?"

If the forums were kept separate, people wanting to listen to new tracks and offer suggestions wouldn't need to sift through mixes. People looking for mixes wouldn't need to sift through new tracks. Sound sensible?

What does everybody reckon?

mm I agree...
I like to listen to new tracks occasionally, but don't listen to mixes often...

However, it's not exactly a huge hastle to find tracks... however, yes... I would prefer to have two different sub sections:

Artist tunes and Dj mixes...

BeatNik said:
However, it's not exactly a huge hastle to find tracks...

You're right - It's not. Still, It just seems to make more sense to keep them separate and I can't think of any reason not to separate them... :iyes:

in some ways i agree, but, do you not think that people looking for mixes/tunes will miss out on one or the other?

i mean i look for both, and i kinda like the rageedy jumble sale style, never know what your gonna be surprised by...and as for those who just wander in...they will be far more likely to go for mixes as it's not a load of techie psy babble about time signatures etc...so really producers are missing out on their target audience...

and next you'll be wanting seperate forums for prog mixes, chill mixes, trance mixes...psytunes, prog tunes blahblahblah

i'll post a link in the mod room when i get a chance innit as the forum is going offline soon for an update and i'll see if i can persuade the man in charge this is reeeaaallly essential

Red five said:
in some ways i agree, but, do you not think that people looking for mixes/tunes will miss out on one or the other?

Not really... All they have to do is click on the relevant links. I really don't think people will miss out at all.

Red five said:
i mean i look for both, and i kinda like the rageedy jumble sale style, never know what your gonna be surprised by...and as for those who just wander in...they will be far more likely to go for mixes as it's not a load of techie psy babble about time signatures etc...so really producers are missing out on their target audience...

I have to disagree again. People post tracks for critique more than anything else, not to reach the eventual 'target audience'. That is the end goal. And the only way to reach the target audience is to get your tracks played! The way to get them played is to make them better. The way to make them better is to get feedback!

Red five said:
and next you'll be wanting seperate forums for prog mixes, chill mixes, trance mixes...psytunes, prog tunes blahblahblah

Eh? Why would you say that? Again I disagree (respectfully). The delination between different styles of music fits comfortably under the heading of 'Artist Tracks'. Why would anyone request different genre forums??

Red five said:
i'll post a link in the mod room when i get a chance innit as the forum is going offline soon for an update and i'll see if i can persuade the man in charge this is reeeaaallly essential

Thanks for the offer! And no-one at any point said this was reeeeaaaallly essential.

Do you think this poll is just another annoying poster trying to make life difficult for the mods? Have I given you any reason to think that?

I can assure you that my only "agenda" here is to encourage more reviewing of tracks and constructive dialog and to make a distinction between mixes and tracks.

Anyway, cheers for the response. :iyes:

Zen Cat said:
1.I have to disagree again. People post tracks for critique more than anything else, not to reach the eventual 'target audience'. That is the end goal. And the only way to reach the target audience is to get your tracks played! The way to get them played is to make them better. The way to make them better is to get feedback!

2. Do you think this poll is just another annoying poster trying to make life difficult for the mods? Have I given you any reason to think that?
:iyes:

1. but surely someone who bimbles in has just as much impetus to tell you about a tune as a techie. example: i never post mixes on here because i can hear the mistakes, and therefore by my reckoning so can other dj's, but people who don't dj, cant really see much wrong. now. part of my reasoning here is that geekdom and techie talk can often cloud judgement, getting too technical etc...

i run my mixes past my mates who dj other styles, or dont dj at all, and if they go "OOOOOOOH that was a stinker" then it's a blatent mistake, if i go "ooooh" to myself and they go "basslines work well together" then i know i'm being a geek and it's fine.

i think what i'm babling on about here is..sometimes it can be good to get a perspective of those out side of the situation...if you see what i mean.

2. not at all, nice to have a chat about music for a change...without having to read through threads purely about production. because lets face it...music discussion is full of adverts and threads that just turn into rucking:iconfused

nice to have a healthy debate innit.

The way I've always seen it is that if people want to post their tracks and specifically ask for comment and advice, the Music Production section is the place to do it. However if you just want to post your latest opus for us all to hear then the Artist Tracks & Mixes section seems more appropriate to me. This has been my approach when keeping this area tidy, anyway.

Back